What's next for Apple notebooks?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    You're right Chris. Without doing something that's going to look silly, there's only so much that can be done with a laptop. I think a lot could be done to make them scratch and dent resistant. A full-size extended keyboard could be put in the PowerBook 17". Except for that, improved displays and better specs is about all that we'll see.

I suspect there's no chance of a new enclosure for the PowerBooks until there's a new CPU which might require it. The aluminum design just isn't old enough.
  • Reply 22 of 91
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

I suspect there's no chance of a new enclosure for the PowerBooks until there's a new CPU which might require it. The aluminum design just isn't old enough.

Agreed.

And with respect to the iBooks, I can't see a change in colour either. Yes, it has remained relatively the same since the clamshell days. But it's white exterior have become synonomous with what an iBook is. You can spot them a mile away and not mistaken the Apple brand.
  • Reply 23 of 91
    Don't get me wrong...aluminum may stay. Mac OS Rumors says carbon fiber. Usually if they are right, then hell is freezing over. But a few of the supposed insiders that have posted here and elsewhere have stated carbon fiber is next up for the PowerBooks. Their claim for the switch to carbon fiber ? Apple needs a stronger material for the PowerBook's enclosure when it comes to all of the grills they need to incorporate to vent heat.
  • Reply 24 of 91
    carbon fiber is ugly and 90's tacky though
  • Reply 25 of 91
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Peter North

carbon fiber is ugly and 90's tacky though

In most cases, it is extremely tacky.

However, it's already being used in at least one ThinkPad and surely Apple could do even better incorporating the material into a nice Ive-like package.

http://www.biosmagazine.co.uk/rev.php?id=165

The ThinkPad X40 includes lots of hardware technology and software solutions that aren't instantly obvious, but make computing on the move a lot more accessible than with competitor offerings. For instance, the laptop's enclosure is made of titanium composite carbon fibre reinforced plastic that is around three times the strength of ABS plastic. The system's thick metal hinges that connect the core of the base to the top cover might add a little weight, but it keeps the ThinkPad T42 extremely durable. A ThinkLight keyboard light located on the top edge of the display even illuminates the keyboard to let you work in low-light conditions
  • Reply 26 of 91
    There was a lot of speculation recently about a dual processor PB. I would prefer that to a G5, at least for the time being. It would give you a lot of power when you need it (and are plugged in to an outlet) and give you long battery life at other times.

A little better battery life would be nicer. Why is it that NewerTek can supply batteries with so much more capacity than Apple does?

A little higher screen resolution would be nice.

A better WiFi antenna would be nice. Maybe a provision for an external antenna.
  • Reply 27 of 91
    well, carbon fiber can easily be painted. i personally like cf but that's because i'm a cf whore on my motorcycles. there's also aluminum fiber, which is similar to carbon fiber obviously but with aluminum threads instead. it's made stronger and stiffer by the resin. so aluminum fiber would be pretty darned cool actually.
  • Reply 28 of 91
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I believe Apple has used carbon fiber before in PowerBooks. However, they used it for the cage around the hardware, not for the case. If they use carbon fiber again, I'd expect it to be for that reason.

Then again, carbon fiber is black, and Steve has a jones for black PowerBooks...
  • Reply 29 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by admactanium

well, carbon fiber can easily be painted

and then chip
  • Reply 30 of 91
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Yeah, like Apple wants to release another PowerBook with paint chipping problems.
  • Reply 31 of 91
    Like the old titaniums, they fugly when the paint starts to chip
  • Reply 32 of 91
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    iBook- I think iPod mini colored aluminum enclosures for the iBooks along with thinning them out to make the current 12" Powerbook obsolete at 4 lbs. Release limited edition colors to generate revenue, or change the colors with generations.

Powerbook- subnotebook size fast G4? 12" challenging the Panasonic W2, keep the 15 and 17" at about the same size with G5s. The subnotebook is a huge gap Apple has for the Asia market...
  • Reply 33 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by Peter North

I hope they dont jam a crippled G5 chip into a 2.5 inch thick laptop that runs hot and gets 2 hours battery life.

Welcome to the world of Wintel notebooks
  • Reply 34 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by jaegermann

that is hilarious. you should look into getting a standup special on HBO
  • Reply 35 of 91
    I would love to see an anodized aluminum iBook line lol, i'd get a pink one asap! But I would also want the current design to be an option aswell, as I think it's the best notebook design in the industry.
  • Reply 36 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Then again, carbon fiber is black, and Steve has a jones for black PowerBooks...

Pardon? What does that mean? From the context I gather it means something like "a sweat spot for" or something? If so, what makes you say that?
  • Reply 37 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by jaegermann

So true.

I had a P4 2.0GHz Fujitsu-Siemens laptop before I made the switch. It basically had a prosessor designed for a desktop computer put in a laptop, with two fans that ran constantly and a 1,5h batterylife. After 4 months one of the fans just quit working, and the laptop started overheating and turning off everytime I did something slightly prosessor-demanding.

I would hate to get a Powerbook G5 that acted like this..
  • Reply 38 of 91
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nooon

So true.

I had a P4 2.0GHz Fujitsu-Siemens laptop before I made the switch. It basically had a prosessor designed for a desktop computer put in a laptop, with two fans that ran constantly and a 1,5h batterylife.

Those were the days with the Pentium 4 in notebooks. But not anymore. The Pentium-M based notebooks have much better battery life than any Powerbook. And are way more powerful. Apple has yet to reach this level of performance.
  • Reply 39 of 91
    yeah i remember taking a class and the professor had a 3ghz laptop (HP i think) and it took a solid 15 minutes for it to start up and be useful. pfff
  • Reply 40 of 91
    Well, I'm expecting nothing less than a 15cm diameter puck that holographically emits a monitor and any other interface device imaginable.