Do Japanese people not use Preview?

ikaika
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
After weeks of frustration, I've figured out that Preview will not open anything in a folder with a Japanese filename. This even happens when OS X is in Japanese localized mode. A bit strange... Anyway, is there a way to fix this besides renaming the folders?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ika

After weeks of frustration, I've figured out that Preview will not open anything in a folder with a Japanese filename. This even happens when OS X is in Japanese localized mode. A bit strange... Anyway, is there a way to fix this besides renaming the folders?

I made a folder with some japanese symbols as its name and the pdf file in it opened perfectly. Have you tried trashing the .plist files for preview?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    No. What is a plist file? The ones I had problems with were .jpgs, so .pdf might me ok.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Works fine on my end too, with my limited Japanese. Kanji and hiragana were used in naming the folder and file. Tried with a PDF first then JPEG.

To trash the preferences (using Panther) navigate to ~/Library/Preferences (where ~ is your home folder) and search for "preview" this file should come up: com.apple.Preview.plist. Remove it.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    My wife logs in using Japanese settings. Lots of her directories are Japanese. She doesn't have any problems.

I've got a few directory names (and file names) that are in Japanese. No prob here...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    is there a way to be using OSX and also do files with Japanese titles?

I can't even get that Japanese font in Word to work. I want to be able to type up some of my homeworks for Japanese class I have, yet I can't get any symbols to come up.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chikara

is there a way to be using OSX and also do files with Japanese titles?

I can't even get that Japanese font in Word to work. I want to be able to type up some of my homeworks for Japanese class I have, yet I can't get any symbols to come up.

Did you use the M$ Language enable feature for Office X?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    thats probably the problem...idk know what that is even :-D
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chikara

thats probably the problem...idk know what that is even :-D

There is an icon in the Office X directory. I can't remember the exact name since I'm not at home now, but it's something like "Language Register"

Drag the other Office icons (Word, Excel, etc..) on top of that icon. A message box will appear asking to enable Japanese.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/resourc...figuration.xml