camcorders

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

I am thinking of getting a camcorder - Sony DCR TVR80. Anybody out there able (willing) to advise how well it works with my eMac?

Peace

eric j

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Take a look at the Panasonic GS400. It's received good reviews at camcorderinfo.com and is a 3CCD camera. It should compare very well against the sony and work fine in Final Cut Pro or iMovie.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Thanks hmurchison,

A couple of things I might have added.

-My eyesight's below average, so a 3.5inch viewfinder is welcome.

-I want to video amateur theater productions, so good lowlight performance is welcome.

Will look at the Panasonic.

Peace eric j
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Hi hmurchison,

Decided on the Sony. Bought it Saturday. Bit frightened of it at present - no previous experience. It can work with Bluetooth, but I doubt that will be very useful.

Thanks for your earlier response.

Peace

eric j
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Eric

Sony is always a good choice. It should work fine with whatever you throw at it. Feel free to update this thread in time with any comments. I'd be interested.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Perhaps a bit off topic, but what does everyone think about these new(?)camcorders which write directly to a DVD vs. tape?

Are they any better or is it a gimmick? I suppose it's convenient to just pop the DVD out and into your Mac to do the editing.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Perhaps a bit off topic, but what does everyone think about those new(?)camcorders which write directly to a DVD vs. tape?

Are they any better or is it a gimmick? I suppose it's convenient to just pop the DVD out and into your Mac to do the editing.

• Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Perhaps a bit off topic, but what does everyone think about these new(?)camcorders which write directly to a DVD vs. tape?

Problem is from what I hear it saves it in a different format (mpeg 2 or something like that instead of DV) so it is a hassle to edit it. Also, tapes are getting pretty cheap. Just bought 6 60-minute tapes @ Sams the other day for 20 bucks. I would certainly recommend DV.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich

Problem is from what I hear it saves it in a different format (mpeg 2 or something like that instead of DV) so it is a hassle to edit it. Also, tapes are getting pretty cheap. Just bought 6 60-minute tapes @ Sams the other day for 20 bucks. I would certainly recommend DV.

I agree. When creating wedding day documentaries, I use tapes which allow me to capture 90 minutes of DV footage each to import into my Mac. That equates to about 18 GB of data per tape. No DVD (written to directly from a camcorder) can match that right now.

P.S.--I have been very happy with my two Sony Digital8 units which I have used for my wedding side business for the past several years.

• Reply 9 of 13
    Slackula

Isn't it interesting that standard DV25 can record over an hour on a 20GB tape yet many of the large camcorder makers are basically going out of their way to avoid the obvious.

"Is tape really all that necessary now?"

Yes I know Panny is working on P2 cams that record to SD Flash memory if you have the $$$$ but let us speculate a bit.

Camcorders are nothing more than Cameras and Recorder melded together Cam/Corder. Tape has died just about everywhere. Music Studios still use tape Digital Recorders but the action isn't there anymore. Consumers don't use tape that much anymore either so it seems as though camcorders are the last bastion for tape. But why?

The iPod holds 40GB of data in a small size. That's enough for 3 hrs of DV25 or HDV footage. Sony recently announced their HDR-FX1 HDV camera and they actually gushed about how they couldn't wait to use Blu Ray technology in the future.

<scatching head> ok Blu Ray in its initial incarnation will hold 25GB on one side or 50GB dual layer. Big Whoop as in 5 years I suppose even the 1" drives will hold 250GB. Strap 4 together or better yet 5 with parity and you will have a terabyte of redundant storage with very fast ingest times. Why the bleep would I want to wait for Blu Ray? That's just Sony homerism.

Here's my prediction. Americans get tired of being spoon fed technology from the Asian companies and begin to develop camera only and camcorders based on Random Access Media. Just look at what companies like Kinetta.com are doing versus the oversized News Gathering fair that Sony and Panny are pushing at the high end.

A revolution is coming and I can't wait. This is all being precipitated by lower cost but highly capable storage. Flash Memory and mini HD are going to take over whether Sony, Canon and Panasonic like it or not.

In a decade we'll be capturing High Definition Video at 4:4:4 chroma sampling and easily editing it in real time. It's a great time to be dabbling in video.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I myself look forward to when we will no have tape anymore. But I think storage WILL need to become more feasible. I don't want to write to DVD because of space constraints, but it is a hassle to capture video to the computer. The nice thing about DV is I can keep everything I shoot. I can drop a tape on the ground, and hard, and it is still fine. Worse case, the case is broken but more than likely the data willb e intact. Drop a harddrive and whoops. I would be in favor of a combination of both. Say a camera that did tape and harddrive simutaneously. I think when blu ray technology is more developed and can hold say at least 25 gigs, and it is cheap, say 1-2 bucks per disc I would be in favor of a harddrive based camera. But until storage becomes a bit cheaper, I want to stick with tapes.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Cost is not much of an issue with me. Tapes are cheap but only if your time is.

A Hard Drive is reusable and being that it can quickly log clips to another source without losing any fidelity I don't see the reason for tape once Blu ray or HD-DVD recorders are available to store the logged clips.

Looks like Panny realizes my point. They are pushing P2 now as coming to a prosumer in 2005 rather than 2006

Blu Ray isn't going to be cheap enough for at least 3 years and even then it will be bulky. Heheheheheh the future is going to be small camcorders with good lens and Flash or disc based. Optical just isn't that enticing and it's too spendy for the camcorder but it'll make a nice backup drive.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Eric

Sony is always a good choice. It should work fine with whatever you throw at it. Feel free to update this thread in time with any comments. I'd be interested.

hmurchison,

When I have something worthwhile I will gladly respond.

Peace

eric
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Cost is not much of an issue with me. Tapes are cheap but only if your time is.

A Hard Drive is reusable and being that it can quickly log clips to another source without losing any fidelity I don't see the reason for tape once Blu ray or HD-DVD recorders are available to store the logged clips.

Looks like Panny realizes my point. They are pushing P2 now as coming to a prosumer in 2005 rather than 2006

Blu Ray isn't going to be cheap enough for at least 3 years and even then it will be bulky. Heheheheheh the future is going to be small camcorders with good lens and Flash or disc based. Optical just isn't that enticing and it's too spendy for the camcorder but it'll make a nice backup drive.

hmurchison: Sorry for the delay....Haven't been able to hit the boards since my last post. I agree with all of your points as well as those of Jeremiah Rich. By the way, I always enjoy your posts and find them interesting and informative.

Don't know that I have a lot to add to the discussion for now. I just know that it is fascinating to watch the technology change. However, the the mean time, I'll keep plugging away with my current Digital8 units, FP iMac 2, and DV tapes. I just like the fact that in my side business of creating wedding day documentaries, I can generate $800 from one production using a $349 Digital8 camcorder. Sure, there is newer and better technology out there, but I don't need it. I may want it, though.

I kind of equate it to driving across country. A Ferrari will get me there the quickest. But my reliable Honda will get the job done too, and will get me there on time. I'll use my Honda until it gives out. Then I'll buy another vehicle. Not necessarily a Honda or a Ferrari. Maybe somewhere in between. One doesn't always need the newest technology, but one doesn't want to live in the stone ages of technology either and get left behind. God, I'm really getting off topic, so I'll shut up for now....