Blondie

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The guy who works next door just bought the "Greatest Hits of Blondie." Kind of fun the first few times, but now it's time for Deb Harry to die.

Yar.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Blondie... they had more than one hit? I only remember...

<disco ball come down from the ceiling>

<Crusader sings>

Gotta make a move to a town that's right for me...

Time to get me me movin, grovvin with some energy...

Well I talk about it, talk about it, talk about it...

<blah blah>

<claps>

Oh won't you take me to... Funky Town... oh won't you take me to Funky Town!

<Spin dance thing>

Well I'm wiped..
  • Reply 2 of 42
    Maybe I'm talking about a different Blondie. This is the pop-rock 80's band that everyone seems to compare to "No Doubt."

If you watch TV, you'd hear a lot of Blondie-derived ads. It has to be the biggest sellout band of all time, from AT&T's "call me" ads to the never-ending use of the "one way or another" song in so, so many car leasing ads.

But I have to say, based on the CD jacket, Blondie herself (Deb Harry) indeed puts Ms. Stefani to shame in regard to visual appeal, at least when the picture was taken.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    You have the right Blondie, I can't remember who Crusader is getting them confused with. Blondie: had hits with Call Me, One Way or Another, Heart of Glass, Rapture, etc. It's the sort of thing IMO that the iTMS is for: buy the one or two songs you actually like by them, save yourself the money of buying a whole CD (and the shame of picking it up in a public music store).

Could be worse. It could be the greatest hits of Right Said Fred. In Spanish.

PS: Debbie Harry was incredibly hot (if waifish) back then.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

But I have to say, based on the CD jacket, Blondie herself (Deb Harry) indeed puts Ms. Stefani to shame in regard to visual appeal, at least when the picture was taken.

Well, that "at least when the picture was taken." part saves you.

She's got an annoying New York yenta accent, smokes like Patty and Selma and is haggard tittie.

VS:

</hugely unfair comparison>

But we'll have to wait 20 years to see what Gwen looks like, eh?
  • Reply 5 of 42
    crusader has them mixed up with Lips, Inc...whose only hit was Funky town
  • Reply 6 of 42
    Whoa... music history is a lost art.

A little help... http://www.history-of-rock-music.com/artists.php?l=b

She's 58.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Pretty damned impressive performance Crusader even if it was the wrong group.

Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

the pop-rock 80's band that everyone seems to compare to "No Doubt."

Well, we probably would have called them "New Wave" - a catch all phrase used to describe nearly everybody in the immediate post-punk era except Billy Joel and Dolly Parton. Pop-rock is close enough. It was a funny period when a whole lot of music you'd expect to be strictly alternative found it's way into the mainstream. Oh and you'd be comparing No Doubt to Blondie. Not vice versa.

Yeah Deborah Harry was gorgeous. Fabulous lips. Great eyes. I have some vague memory that she was a model before becoming a rock chick. The waif look may or may not have been encouraged by some significant heroin use. But then, nearly everybody in the early 80s music scene had a heroin habit except Billy Joel and Dolly Parton.

Deborah Harry was in Oz last year (I think). Time has not been kind to Deborah Harry even if she is 58 (crap that's scary). But in her youth, Deborah would leave Gwen for dead. Simply not in the same class. John I can't see your image and the other one doesn't do her justice.

As far as I can remember, their first hit (in Oz at least) was "In the Flesh". "The Tide is High" was also one of theirs - somebody did an utterly forgettable cover of it not that long ago. They were a pretty good band on the whole. Not in the same league as some of the other New Wave bands but a cut above many. Heart of Glass is a classic. I always liked Denis Denis, Hanging on the Telephone and 11.59 as well.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.

• Reply 9 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

Retaliate with a best of Spandau Ballet CD.

Heh Heh. I think the reason he bought it was because, a couple of Fridays ago, I had Liquid Tension Experiment 2 playing quite loudly in the lab room. Supposedly that drove half the office insane.

So in the end I come out one ahead. I haven't even attempted to play my rather large collections of Wagnerian Opera, other longhaired German music, or Yngwie. . . .
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Blondie was originally a post-punk band, which was the precursor to new wave.

I knew it! I knew it as I typed it. I thought, "I bet tonton shows up and corrects me on the new wave thing." This is my era in music dammit. I bet you were still in frickin' nappies.

And what's most galling, is I know you're almost certainly right and I'm wrong.

Quote:

I've met Gwen Stefani

So did you get into her pants? Go the grope? Play a bit of hide the sausage?
  • Reply 11 of 42
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Hey everyone, the tide is high.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

And a young Debbie Harry is WAAAAY better looking than a young Gwen Stefani (and I've met Gwen Stefani -- .

Agreed.

...I've gotten a kiss from Siouxsie Sioux...anybody remember her? \
  • Reply 13 of 42
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Blondie wasn't post-punk they wer punk-pop-new wave.

and for some smarmy ass young boy talking shit about them and then holding them against some doomed to obscurity contemporary garbage is crazy.

Blondie was awesome, Debra Harry was awesome in a way that nobody today could be without her first.

\\

One thing that people now don't understand about that time was that it was the LAST time (with two notable exeptions (sort-of)) where music and culture made real changes in the zeitgeist, in the spirit of the times . . . it was the last time where a cultural form, (music style art) took a shape that seemed to have a relevant reflection of the times and carried that reflection in a critical way.

Sure Blondie wasn't the Dead Kennedys as far as politicization, but they still held some say in the shaping of the form of punk-pop . . . they were the more popish Ramones with a strong and wild and beautiful woman heading them. Sure they changed and became lamer as time went by, but that happens . . their first albums and their club presence were both vey strong.

Now all you have is MTV project band #xx, and 'counter-culture style niche band #x . . . or some screaming Olympia Washington 'Grrl' bands that wouldn't exist without the music from that era!!

Some of my students are into what people nowdays call 'punk' . . . and all I have to say is that it is missing the spirit of the times completely: for one thing, it was the middle of the Cold War! A smoldering constant fear that people who did not experience simply could not understand: and which was the absolute background against which so much punk, and New Wave took shape.

Sure I sound like an old curmudgeon: but when Nirvana made it super big with Cobain's pretty face and his psuedo-punk 70s style guitar rock songs that all sound alike (with some great exeptions) and then everyone said that 'punk' came of age, I was sickened . . . after that 'alternative' was just another package, punk bands and 'grunge' beccame mainstream and the spirit was lost . . . post-punk (meatpuppets, minutemen, Huskar Du etc) morphed into producer packages and Green Day

(* the other two more recent exeptions wpuld be Hip Hop and electronic . . . but they are just sort-of because they too started in that same era)

I would also note that for splinmodel to wish Debbra harry would die is truly in bad taste and worthy of a good pummelling
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

Sure I sound like an old curmudgeon: but when Nirvana made it super big with Cobain's pretty face and his psuedo-punk 70s style guitar rock songs that all sound alike (with some great exeptions) and then everyone said that 'punk' came of age, I was sickened . . . after that 'alternative' was just another package, punk bands and 'grunge' beccame mainstream and the spirit was lost . . . post-punk (meatpuppets, minutemen, Huskar Du etc) morphed into producer packages and Green Day

Punk 'came of age' in 1984 with the Butthole Surfers.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Punk 'came of age' in 1984 with the Butthole Surfers.

Die infidel die!

Ooh. Sorry pfflam got me all worked up. Hang on......

Your profile says you're 30. That means you were.....10 in 1984.

Mwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I was watching TV in a London hotel room when THAT interview with the Sex Pistols went to air. I had a cool spikey haircut while your mother was still making you get crew cuts. I had a mace hanging from one ear and an axe hanging from the other while you were still playing with toy soldiers. I remember when AC/DC still lived in Australia dammit!

I could go on but I'm going to let pfflam finish you off.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Your profile says you're 30. That means you were.....10 in 1984.

Well I'm 31 and never had a crew cut. I do own a URL though:

www.therepublicunts.com

When I form my punk band, the name's ready.

EDIT: Watch THE FILTH AND THE FURY. Good stuff.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Quote:

www.therepublicunts.com

31! Oh god quick PM me your address I'll send you a walking stick in the mail.

Love the web site bunge. Very...um...minimalist. Steve would be proud.

Clever name. But you don't think you might run into a few marketing problems with it do ya?

When you say "when I form my punk band" do you mean that in a "when I write my novel" kind of way. You know, you'll do it on the 12th.........
  • Reply 18 of 42
    It's going to happen...some day. I promise!

Actually, I had a great idea for the site but Flash MX on the Mac couldn't handle it and I tabled it for a while. Then my harddrive in my new G5 died and I lost everything. Now I have the idea, but I need to recreate so many pieces it's daunting.

Of course, this has nothing to do with the music....

Marketing schmarketing. Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

...I've gotten a kiss from Siouxsie Sioux...anybody remember her? \

Hubba hubba!

On another note, we all know that the punk movement ends and the industrial scene begins with Killing Joke, right? First out there in 1979, though I discovered them in 1991.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Quote:

I would also note that for splinmodel to wish Debbra harry would die is truly in bad taste and worthy of a good pummelling

Less substance, more metaphor, since I've got nothing against older women. . .

I was just hoping that she would die from the signal to my neighbor's speakers, nothing more. But feel free to pummell away.

Quote:

www.therepublicunts.com

I've got you beat on the minimalist level: www.clubnozza.com When I form my own night club, the name is ready.

Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Hubba hubba!

http://www.vamp.org/Siouxsie/Images/s-vinyl.jpg

Van de Graff must be a happy man.