out with the PC, in with the Mac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i'm finally ready to shed myself of this barren PC-life and head into greener pastures with a Mac. i was thinking of getting one of the Powerbooks. any recommendations? is there something newer that is coming out soon that i should hold out for instead?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Don't hold out there is always going to be something faster weeks/months down the line.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    i plan on doing a lot of dvd editing, maybe audio recording, and video editing. would it be better to get a desktop for this amount of work?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by King Elessar

i plan on doing a lot of dvd editing, maybe audio recording, and video editing. would it be better to get a desktop for this amount of work?

Yes.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    that website was pretty helpful...and i will probably wind up going with a desktop. the smallest flat screen i see for the power mac is 20", which i don't need. am i looking in the wrong place on the website?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

the smallest flat screen i see for the power mac is 20", which i don't need. am i looking in the wrong place on the website?

Apple used to sell the old 17" lcds on their web site, but it looks like they have run out of them because they aren't there anymore. You can use a lcd from a different company, it doesn't have to be apple. I haven't looked into lcds much, but someone else may have some advise.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    You don't need to use an Apple display. The PowerMac G5 has DVI out, so you can use any DVI (or VGA via a simple adapter) monitor.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

You don't need to use an Apple display. The PowerMac G5 has DVI out, so you can use any DVI (or VGA via a simple adapter) monitor.

... although DVI LCD displays will probably give you a clearer picture since the picture isn't being converted from digital to analog back to digital again.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by ericeason

Apple used to sell the old 17" lcds on their web site, but it looks like they have run out of them because they aren't there anymore. You can use a lcd from a different company, it doesn't have to be apple. I haven't looked into lcds much, but someone else may have some advise.

You can use any display that has a VGA or (preferably) DVI input. You can also go down to your local Apple store and see if they have any demo/firesale 17" displays. I just got the old style 20" display for $699, lightly used.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    what brand would you recommend?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

what brand would you recommend?

CRT: NEC/Mitsubishi(sp?) Samsung LCD: NEC/Mitsubishi(sp?) Samsung, and from what I hear, LG is also good, although I have never seen one in person.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    thanks for everyone's advice. i'll be sure to let everyone know what i ultimately decided on.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    What about the 17" iMac G5? From your description, I think that would be the perfect solution for your needs, and pretty affordable.