iMac G5 - sighting

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I saw 2 of the new iMacs today in an Apple Store. They look pretty nice in person, but definitely not as nice (IMO) as the aluminum monitors.

Both were 17" models. The large lower bezel looked worse in person than it does in the photos. This was in part because the white surface of the iMac is very reflective, so you're seeing some reflection of the keyboard or what-have-you in the lower portion of the iMac monitor. Generally speaking I dislike reflective bezels on monitors (like a lot of Sony LCDs have) for that reason, and the new iMac not an exception, with its large, highly reflective area.

The overall impression of the machine is that it is a little more substantial than I expected in terms of the thickness of the monitor (compared with LCD panel displays). Not a criticism, just an observation.

They were using a wired keyboard and mouse which definitely appears to be an aesthetic mistake when you see those cables tangled around the base.

I couldn't mess around with it's innards because the employees were busy installing software on both machines, but anyway I thought some would be interested with my meager impressions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    where...
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by radiospace

Both were 17" models. The large lower bezel looked worse in person than it does in the photos.

This is exactly what I feared. I was hoping they would somehow look better in person.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    iMac Pics

Well- here we go folks...
  • Reply 4 of 32
    Not sure what I think about it- I guess I'll have to see for myself once mine comes in!!!

I think thats the 20" version (it looks huge).

Is that an extra foot pad thing for the bottom? I was watching the keynote today and it does look like it slides easily left and right...
  • Reply 5 of 32
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    The pics from the Paris expo were much better than these and gave a better sense of its scale. I think it will look great in person.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Quote:

It is a 17". I have a 20" cinema display and the screen without counting the bezel is as wide as the keyboard.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Not sure what I think about it- I guess I'll have to see for myself once mine comes in!!!

Is that an extra foot pad thing for the bottom? I was watching the keynote today and it does look like it slides easily left and right...

That's the 17". You can tell by the orientation of the RAM. If it slants inward, it's the 17". The RAM on the 20" slants outward, according to the user manual posted by Apple yesterday.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

iMac Pics

Well- here we go folks...

403, any mirror?
  • Reply 9 of 32
    The same pics are shown here:

G5 iMac Pics
  • Reply 10 of 32
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BIGBERTHA

The same pics are shown here:

G5 iMac Pics

Cool. None of them show it at an ideal angle, though. (ie, ON A DESK, UPRIGHT)
  • Reply 11 of 32
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    just got word from a friend of mine that they are at SoHo... I may make a trip tomorrow to "Confirm"...
  • Reply 12 of 32
    The above pics are definitely the 17 inch. Londor is right. The keyboard is the same width as the 20 inch screen. It is on mine.

I think the 20 is better proportioned. It is similar to how the 15 inch looked on the last iMac as compared to it's bigger later versions.

I think someday the 23 inch with a more narrow bezel and possibly smaller chin will really look good.

Don't be afraid of the 20 inch size. I really like how it looks in our house. I'm really happy that I chose it over the 17.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Unlike my current swing arm iMac (17") the new 17" and 20" are, in fact, proportioned the same. The previous 15", 17" and 20" iMacs used the same size base and swing arm but the screens, naturally, were larger and larger. The current models have different size stands that are in equal proportion to their respective screens.

No matter, I visited my local Apple Store at the Town Center Mall in Boca Raton and they had a 17" iMac on display. It was on a side wall, very inconspicuously displayed. Alas, only the power cord was routed through the stand hole. About 4 other connnections were plugged directly into the i/o ports and held together with plastic ties. When I asked why they weren't routed through the hole there was a look of puzzlement by the manager. Ive went to thte trouble of putting that hole there for a purpose. Oh well. The computer is very handsome. It tilts quite nicely and can rotate on the stand very easily. The screen is better then my current iMac. It has a much wider viewing angle. I went to iTunes on the computer to listen to the speakers. They sound reasonably good... not with as much bass as the round ones that came with my iMac, but good enough. I suspect if the sound is that important to you there are plenty of third party systems available.

The didn't expect any product for a week or two.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    macsrgood4u.

You are correct about the stand changing size with the screen. What I am referring to about proportion is not the stand but the chin. The chin is the same height on both the 17" and the 20". This can be easily seen when you go here

and go to the iMac G5 in Action, Taking a closer look.

The 17" screen appears smaller when framed with the chin. The 20" looks a little more comfortable and I believe a larger screen someday would look even better.

Our household has dubbed this new iMac the "chinMac."
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

just got word from a friend of mine that they are at SoHo... I may make a trip tomorrow to "Confirm"...

I was there today, and there is one 17" model on display. It's almost hidden in a corner (up the stairs at the entrance, then left. It was closest to the window). It was surprisingly good, chin and all. A 20" was also shown at the window on the corner of Prince and Greene. Good stuff, but no pics.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

Our household has dubbed this new iMac the "chinMac."

I call it the Jay Leno edition (dumb huge chin)
  • Reply 17 of 32
    20" iMac G5s are now being displayed in the South Coast Plaza and Fashion Island stores in California.

I had to show up an Apple staffer at South Coast who kept telling customer's he didn't know what size the screen was. How hard is it to just check the resolution the iMac is set to? If it's 1680x1050 it's a 20", 1440x900 it's a 17". The sales guy was a moron...he even called SpotLight, SearchLight, it was embarassing...
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Sorry you don't like it. We refer to it in a nice way. We are enjoying all of it.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

It's unfair I tells ya...pictures and TV add 20 pounds to that iMac G5 chin.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

It's unfair I tells ya...pictures and TV add 20 pounds to that iMac G5 chin.

So true.