What's next for Apple notebooks?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 91
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Well, I'm expecting nothing less than a 15cm diameter puck that holographically emits a monitor and any other interface device imaginable.

I'm not buying until at least 3 of them are unimaginable.

BTW, for the question upthread: "jones" is slang for "hunger" or "desire." It came out during the Titanium PowerBook phase that Steve wasn't happy that it wasn't black. Then, well, it went aluminum. Heh. I guess the combination of great sales and the difficulty of reliably painting or anodizing the metal overruled him. (I'm not sure about aluminum, but titanium only anodizes into iridescent gem tones).

• Reply 42 of 91
    yea i would say no new update in the powerbook design anytime soon. As you can see the upper end (powerbooks, powermacs and the new displays) all have that alluminum look.imacs and ibook have the white and grey look. I think both are pretty sweet. No need for a design change unless one posses has a big problem.. But O how the G5 powerbook will be nice.. someday someday..
  • Reply 43 of 91
    I just found out that Fuitsu Siemens are about to inroduce the LifeBook :the design of the the laptop is extremly "inspired"

by the Mac laptops, In shape it looks exatly like the 15inch PowerBook, the bottom part is Aluminum but the top

is in white plastic.

Altough it's a blatant ripoff it will undermine Apples unike design. I think the current Apple designs are fantastic

and don't need an update but they need to respond to state that there one step ahead.

Apple has for a long time now been in the for front of experimenting with materials for there laptops and I think

they should continue to do this since that is the only way to diffretiate a laptop.

Cabon fiber could look great when you do that woven kind of thing, although i would prefer a powerbook in gold (24k)

Viktor
  • Reply 44 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

I think a lot could be done to make them scratch and dent resistant.

Well, dents and cracks, though esthetically displeasing, are good ways of absorbing energy from a fall, no?

I always thought that making a laptop case extremely rigid would be counter productive. Don't you risk having all the energy (which has to go *somewhere*) end up at a much more sensitive part, like the MB?
  • Reply 45 of 91
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jouster

Well, dents and cracks, though esthetically displeasing, are good ways of absorbing energy from a fall, no?

I always thought that making a laptop case extremely rigid would be counter productive. Don't you risk having all the energy (which has to go *somewhere*) end up at a much more sensitive part, like the MB?

Um, ok, point taken. I haven't yet dropped my PowerBook, so I guess I should have just said "scratch resistant." I'm not sure what could be done. All I know is that the slightest scuff to an iBook or PowerBook makes a pretty ugly scar.
  • Reply 46 of 91
    I'd like them to be like the original IceBook with an outer clear case, and make that case easily (and inexpensively) replaceable. Go ahead and gouge it all to heck, you can replace it next week.
  • Reply 47 of 91
    I think too many people here have a processer fetish. I mean yeah processors are important but they are certianly not the only componet that can be improved. In fact people do buy macs for the CPU, lets get realistic here. IF it was the CPU that sold all computer people would try to buy the best most advanced processor for the price. But its not speed that sells its what you can do with it.

My predicitions for new powerbooks...

1. Apple goes to widescreen format on all powerbooks including the 12.1" As this seems to be the market trend. Also might see higher resolutions, though doubtful

2. Firewire 800 on all machines, as well as airport

3. New videocards, lets face it the 5200 is a weak card, we'll probably see 9800's at the top end, if it dosen't suck a lot of battery life, but the 9800 is marginally faster then a 9700. The 9800 is a joke for portabilty.

4. Better built in sound lets face it my ibook is pretty weak in that department.

5. Faster CPU's probably with larger L2 cache and a faster FSB, maybe a bump to DDR400

I think all changes will be minor an incremental. We might see dual core CPU's apple seems to be going that direction with all their computers. I would suspect that apple would like a dual core G4 so they can claim to be first with a dual core notebook.
  • Reply 48 of 91
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    7200 RPM hard drives and 1GB of RAM does wonders for Mac OS X performance.
  • Reply 49 of 91
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I expect minor bumps with perhaps a few more options. Prices lowered overall. If G5 PowerBooks are delayed even longer, these models could still be bumped slightly for one more revision.
  • Reply 50 of 91
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rottenspam

1. Apple goes to widescreen format on all powerbooks including the 12.1"

Widescreen would greatly help the 12" differentiate itself physically from the iBook. Metal, color, whatever they do; with that 4:3 screen it still screams iBook to me.
  • Reply 51 of 91
    Carbon fibre has electrical transmission issues, too. Hence the windows in the later Titanium 'Books for WiFi.

Maybe they could reverse the design - aluminum frame, carbon shell pieces, WiFi in plastic display bezel like AlBooks.

I'd definitely like to see a stronger Powerbook structure, though. When you pick up a TiBook, it always feels like it's flexing so much in the bottom center (hence logic board issues???), so I've become accustomed to picking mine up by the sides. Real gently.

Shouldn't have to be so delicate with something called a "Power" anything.
  • Reply 52 of 91
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by IonYz

Widescreen would greatly help the 12" differentiate itself physically from the iBook. Metal, color, whatever they do; with that 4:3 screen it still screams iBook to me.

I agree. I'd only consider the 12" PowerBook if it featured widescreen, but I'd also want the backlit keyboard and other features too. Otherwise, its 15" for me.

I've used a rev A Titanium for over 3 years and couldn't see not keeping widescreen.
  • Reply 53 of 91
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    No offense, but the backlit keyboard is the most over-sold useless feature I've ever seen. I've got one on my PowerBook and haven't had need for it once, since the screen lights up the silver keys just fine. I think a wide screen (13"?) on the small PowerBook is a good idea and would help differentiate it from the iBook, but skip the lighted keyboard and keep it $100 cheaper than it might be otherwise, thanks.
  • Reply 54 of 91
    yuo dont use it... i would. so i would like it.

BTO is fine
  • Reply 55 of 91
    Quote:

No offense, but the backlit keyboard is the most over-sold useless feature I've ever seen. I've got one on my PowerBook and haven't had need for it once, since the screen lights up the silver keys just fine. I think a wide screen (13"?) on the small PowerBook is a good idea and would help differentiate it from the iBook, but skip the lighted keyboard and keep it $100 cheaper than it might be otherwise, thanks.

Hell, I use it all the time. Edit in a dark room, to make sure the colors are right, it comes in handy and it doesn't kill your night-vision like those USB led lights do. I would BTO it if it didn't come standard, it's more than worth it to me.
  • Reply 56 of 91
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

No offense, but the backlit keyboard is the most over-sold useless feature I've ever seen. I've got one on my PowerBook and haven't had need for it once, since the screen lights up the silver keys just fine.

Am I the only one to find the screen light inadequate to illuminate the keyboard? In my 12", I have to try to find the keys in the dark, since the light levels of the screen and of the keyboard under the screen light are significantly different and the eye has to adapt. I wish it had the backlit keyboard.
  • Reply 57 of 91
    It's been mentioned already, but the one thing that Apple has not yet offered is a better resolution on the PBs. WXGA does not cut it on a professional notebook - way too blocky pixels.

I have a 1.5GHz 15.2" PB with 1280x800. I also have a Compaq 1.6GHz P-M 15.4" with 1680x1050. Features and build quality are otherwise pretty much the same. However, the screen on my Compaq is noticeably nicer than on the more expensive PB; razor-sharp fonts and much larger screen real-estate which translates to much less scrolling around in Excel, web-browsers etc. And no; 1680x1050 is not too small, unless you have impaired vision.

If you can't bump up the processor or the GPU what else is left but the battery or the screen?
  • Reply 58 of 91
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by versu

I have a 1.5GHz 15.2" PB with 1280x800. I also have a Compaq 1.6GHz P-M 15.4" with 1680x1050. Features and build quality are otherwise pretty much the same. However, the screen on my Compaq is noticeably nicer than on the more expensive PB; razor-sharp fonts and much larger screen real-estate which translates to much less scrolling around in Excel, web-browsers etc. And no; 1680x1050 is not too small, unless you have impaired vision.

Or you do want to work comfortably. My wife's Dell has a 15" screen at 1920 x 1200. While I agree that such displays are much more sharp, there is no way to use it at such resolution without binoculars. Me at least. And I have not impaired vision. Just a personal preference.
  • Reply 59 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Or you do want to work comfortably. My wife's Dell has a 15" screen at 1920 x 1200. While I agree that such displays are much more sharp, there is no way to use it at such resolution without binoculars. Me at least. And I have not impaired vision. Just a personal preference.

So 1920x1200 is the new 1680x1050? ;-) Personally I'd love a slightly higher resolution display on the Powerbooks. Couple that with better color quality and higher brightness.
  • Reply 60 of 91
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gavriel

So 1920x1200 is the new 1680x1050? ;-) Personally I'd love a slightly higher resolution display on the Powerbooks. Couple that with better color quality and higher brightness.

You do realize that higher resolution correlates to lower brightness and narrower viewing angles in LCDs, right?

To the poster who said that high resolutions are only a problem to people whose vision is impaired: The majority of the adult population has impaired vision, not least from years of staring at monitors.

We have a bunch of Dells with 1600x1200 screens. Every last one of them runs at 1024x768. This is the worst of all possible worlds: The screens are darker, blurrier than if we'd just ordered native 1024x768 screens, and more expensive on top of that. High resolution screens are not necessarily a feature. Not yet.