Gigahertz barrier to finally be broken at MWSF?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Well, I was reading some old mac stories, and I came upon this LowEndMac article from shortly after the G4 was released.

<a href="http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/g4vp3.shtml"; target="_blank">http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/g4vp3.shtml</a>;

[quote]News flash: so will Motorola. When Intel hits 700 MHz, expect the G4 to be running at 550 MHz, maybe even faster.

On top of that, to match the capabilities of the Velocity Engine equipped G4/500, Intel would have to make 1600 MHz Pentium III chips. And that isn't likely until mid-2001.

Of course, by then the G4 will be running at speeds in excess of 1000 MHz, too.<hr></blockquote>

D'oh!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yes, imagine where things would be if that whole G4 downgrade/stall at 500MHz phase had never happened.

If Motorola or whoever had been able to hold up their end and things progressed the usual way with 100-200MHz speed bumps twice a year, we would've broken the 1GHz barrier back in the summer or spring.

The talk about the upcoming MWSF would be "are we gonna reach 2GHz?"

• Reply 2 of 11
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    It hurt Apple, no question about it. You have to give Apple some credit for doing the best they could with what they got. Some dramatic advances will have to come, and they'll have to come with sustained and agressive product advancements if Apple is going to even stay in the ball park. Whatever else one might say about Intel and AMD, they push out new chips faster than anyone. Rapid advancement/revolutionary designs are now the bare minimum just to stay competitive, let alone lead.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I think its safe to say that the Powermac at least will reach 1 ghz by MWSF, most probably surpassing it, I assume that if no g5, and likewise no g4 iMac, then the g3 iMac will reach 1 ghz as well.

if apple doesn't break 1 ghz by now, I will board myself up translating MacOs to 86x and buy a pc

all of a sudden I shudder thinking that apple would release a quad 800 or some crap like that
  • Reply 4 of 11
    It will be a 966 MHz G4 just to spite us.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    neomacneomac Posts: 145member
    I think this MWSF expo will come to be known as the "Ghz Expo".

Ghz on the PowerMac for sure. Ghz on the iMac? Let's hope.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Correct me if I'm wrong(robot)

BUT didn't IBM already make ghz g3s? they just couldn't release them because of the g4?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Wrong Robot:

<strong>Correct me if I'm wrong(robot)

BUT didn't IBM already make ghz g3s? they just couldn't release them because of the g4?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not sure if I'm correct or not, but I think the G3's now have the ability to get up to 1 GHz but hasn't yet.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Well Post counts COULD matter if you had a ranking system, like peon-uberman

type thing like a lot of other UBB boards out there, but since you don't, post counts only matter, for people to act superior

for the record, before the crash I had about 400 posts
  • Reply 9 of 11
    IBM never had a GHz G3 and the G3 never out clocked the G4 for any length of time.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Thanks for RUINING MY DREAMS!

*sob* *sob* *sob*

• Reply 11 of 11
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    the only thing that is 90 % reliable is that Apple wil break the mhz barrier. `But it would be a non evenement, because intel is still at 2 ghz.

perhaps the faster mac will be at 1,13 ghz, be happy if you see more : it's just a 233 mhz speed bump.