non apple airport card

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Can anyone recomend an airport type card for G3 ibook 700 that isn't apple, I've seen non apple(IBM) cards for sale on Ebay? I found some driver sites but no cards.

thanks

m

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    regreg Posts: 832member
    A cheaper alternative if you cannot find the card is usb-wifi. Not as nice as the card and the reception is not as good but it will work.

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/...sp?dpno=345833

or

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/...sp?dpno=462097

reg
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by markyj

Can anyone recomend an airport type card for G3 ibook 700 that isn't apple, I've seen non apple(IBM) cards for sale on Ebay? I found some driver sites but no cards.

Is there a reason you dont want an Apple card? Sony sell a card that is identical to Apples, you just have to remove the antenna and it slips right into the Airport slot. Other than that you'll have to go USB.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

Is there a reason you dont want an Apple card? Sony sell a card that is identical to Apples, you just have to remove the antenna and it slips right into the Airport slot. Other than that you'll have to go USB.

I was trying to find a cheaper alternative to the apple one, as they seem more expensive than non apple cards, I was also trying to see if I could get 802.11g as well. Do you know which model of the sony card?

thanks

m
  • Reply 4 of 8
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Your best bet is an Airport card. Look for one on eBay; they can't be too expensive. The iBook doesn't have a PC card slot, so all those wifi PC cards are out. A USB dongle is just silly (slow, awkward, and poor reception). You could try to jam a PC card into the Airport slot, but it won't fit with an antenna, and they may or may not have a connector which you can attach the iBook's antenna cable to. With the Airport card, it fits perfect, it's easy to install, it mates with the iBook's gloriously huge antenna (iBooks get fabulous reception, thanks to the built-in antenna) and it keeps your AppleCare intact.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    thanks for all your help..I'm off to ebay to find an airport card!

m
  • Reply 6 of 8
    good luck finding a cheap airport card. apple recently stopped manufacturing and distributing the 802.11b airport cards due to lacking sales since airport extreme's debut. my friend and i are both looking for one, since we need the original card, but we can only find them for around $120 on ebay. it sucks. he tried putting a pc card into his ibook, but it crashed his computer. it refused to start up. so i would suggest NOT trying to shove a pc 802.11b card in there w/o the antenna, because they don't usually work. sometimes you can find good deals on airport cards on ebay, but i wish you the best of luck.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I have an original airport card in my powermac that i bought this summer (the card, the computer is old).

I'll sell someone my card for 80 bucks. I think that's better than what they're going for on ebay, and still really reasonable.

that way you can use the apple supported airport, while i can just get a pci card...

private message me or something...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    d-link has a usb 802.11b adapter... works great on my gf's eMac.