23" alum apple cinema displays are CRAP!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
First of, I'm just ranting from my own subjective opinion. I just bought my new display this past week and I can't believe I'm seeing color shifts from both the left and right sides of screen. There's a yellowish tint against a white background and pinkish against a darker background. Yeah, yeah, I've already tried calibrating and recalibrating it I dunno how many times....you can minimize the color shifts somewhat, but it is STILL THERE.

You would think the quality of the new displays would be at least as good as the previous 23", not worst. I can't understand how Apple can let this slip....where the hell is the quality control?!

In saying this, I'm sure there are current owners who will say their displays are flawless, but judging from all the complaints I'm reading on Apple.com, this is a widespread problem.

I'm hoping to return this outright next week, I don't even want an exchange! Waste of time and energy because it will happen again...unless Apple officially releases a new batch of new and improved 23". Otherwise...thanks, but no thanks, I've lost faith in apple displays.....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    sux 2 b u
  • Reply 2 of 68
    Just get this no fancy Alu case, but way cheaper and more options/features ... and certainly none of the problems you discribe ... and if (3 years on site repair!)
  • Reply 3 of 68
    I almost bought that HP display instead of my 23" ALU, but the lack of FireWire and the distracting HP logo and manual buttons on the lower bezel made me pass. Might sound like a small thing, but I don't want a bunch of tiny rectangles competing with the dock while I do design work. The ALUs are soooo clean.

Mine's perfect by the way.
  • Reply 4 of 68
    Yes it's a fact there is a defect with many but not all of the new 23" Cinema Displays. I first noticed it when they were first release, I've been to several Apple Retail Stores and quite a few of the 23" Cinema Displays I've seen have a distinct pink or magenta cast that shows up extremely annoyingly on the brushed metal parts of OS X.

The 20" Cinema Displays do not seem to have this problem and when you see them sitting side by side you cannot not notice the problem.

If you go to the Apple Support display discussions page you'll see many posts from people who have this problem with their new 23" displays. I suggest to bring yours back for a replacement ASAP.
  • Reply 5 of 68
    At first I thought it was just me until I went on the apple cinema display discussion fourm. That's where I discovered all the complaints and I realized this is a common problem. I'm also hearing relpacing a new one will not necessarily help...others still have the same issues and some have improved slightly so I don't know if it's worth my while to replace a new one and hope for the best. Like Is saiid, If I can't get my money back, I will ask the store owner to allow me a quaranteed replacement months from now because I'm hoping by then, Apple will rectify the problem and do a recall.

Don't get me wrong, I love the design on this display and I've been a Mac user for some time so obviously this was my first choice. The HP is nice I guess, it's not the same sitting beside a G5. If I do get my money back, I will have to rethink it.

Wish me luck.
  • Reply 6 of 68
    That's crazy... I just put my iBook (December 2003) next to my 23" and the pink is so noticeable it's almost scary. The iBook display "Brushed Metal" MUCH MUCH better without a pink cast... the only down side to the iBook is the brigthness and contrast ratio.
  • Reply 7 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

I almost bought that HP display instead of my 23" ALU, but the lack of FireWire and the distracting HP logo and manual buttons on the lower bezel made me pass. Might sound like a small thing, but I don't want a bunch of tiny rectangles competing with the dock while I do design work. The ALUs are soooo clean.

Mine's perfect by the way.

You could always get an aluminium alloy frame to put in front of th eplastic frame ... and still it would be cheaper ;-) :LOL:
  • Reply 8 of 68
    I dunno, I've been using my iBook for awhile, and came back to my display... the 23" is far better and just a slght calibration fixed any and all color problems. 8)
  • Reply 9 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

Just get this no fancy Alu case, but way cheaper and more options/features ... and certainly none of the problems you discribe ... and if (3 years on site repair!)

I just got the HP F2304 23" display. I'm using it with my single G4 1.25 alongside my older 20" ASD and it blows the Apple away display in clarity/sharpness. It's way brighter, faster, and has the same exact resolution as the Apple 23" display. Also it comes with s-video and composite inputs, plus is HDTV ready.

Awesome, all for $1999.
  • Reply 10 of 68
    Just to tell that I have a 23" Alu also since July, 15 and I have NO problem at all. I'm in DTP so I can perfectly understand color problem... wish you luck with yours !
  • Reply 11 of 68
    I've actually even considered exchanging for the older 23" apple model. Plastic is plastic, but it seems to me the colors are more accurate across the screen.

Anyone like to share a colorsync profile that might work. So far I haven't had any luck.

Thanks...Rob
  • Reply 12 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by auslander

I just got the HP F2304 23" display. I'm using it with my single G4 1.25 alongside my older 20" ASD and it blows the Apple away display in clarity/sharpness. It's way brighter, faster, and has the same exact resolution as the Apple 23" display. Also it comes with s-video and composite inputs, plus is HDTV ready.

Awesome, all for $1999.

What made you choose the F2304 in place of the L2335?
  • Reply 13 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

What made you choose the F2304 in place of the L2335?

I compared the features of the two, and the f2304 has a lot more going for it. The HDTV ready aspect. Seeing the two right next to each other, there was a big difference as well. I also preferred the design of the 2304 more.
  • Reply 14 of 68
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Thats what happens when you outsource. Apple products were always more reliable when they produced them. Now they outsource everything to Taiwanese companies or whatever and they aint what they used to be.

Still overpriced though
  • Reply 15 of 68
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I have an old 20" Cinema Display but would love to upgrade to the new aluminum models. They have a faster refresh and are a bit brighter, let alone the new casing. Anyone have bad experiences with these? My old style display has been top notch.
  • Reply 16 of 68
    I was at a Compusa store yesterday and saw the magenta cast to the 23-inch. It looked pretty bad.
  • Reply 17 of 68
    This is why I went with a 17" Cinema Display

Never ever buy a brand new product from Apple, wait for a revision or two, ie iMac, iBook, PM G5 (Went with a 2.0DP over a 2.5DP), etc
  • Reply 18 of 68
    The Apple Store Oakbrook has one (1) 23" display and it was pink. I didn't have to play around with things, I could tell off the bat. I remember them having more large monitors but now they only have one. The rest were 20", all looked great.

For those asking, the 20" doesn't have the pink problem. For those with a clean 23", be grateful. Some many problems this had better be a huge batch of bad ones.

[Rubs Mitsu Diamond Pro 930sb]

No need to replace you.
  • Reply 19 of 68
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I was at a Compusa store yesterday and saw the magenta cast to the 23-inch. It looked pretty bad.

Yeah, that's good. Judging a Cinema Display by one that's sitting in a CompUSA.

Ever hooked one up to a PowerMac and calibrated it properly?

I have and it looks amazing.

Wake up.
  • Reply 20 of 68
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by IonYz

The Apple Store Oakbrook has one (1) 23" display and it was pink.

You too! Wake up!