New info on iPOD shipments

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Shares of Lexar Media (LEXR: news, chart, profile) rose more than 14 percent after Susquehanna Financial Group raised its rating on the stock to "net positive" from "continued net neutral," citing a belief that demand for its flash memory cards is strengthening. The firm said it thinks Lexar is "well positioned to outgrow the NAND flash market driven by the newly formed relationship with Kodak and a better than expected penetration of NAND flash memory cards in the camera phone market." Susquehanna, which also lifted its financial estimates for Lexar, added that the popular Apple iPod also uses the NAND type of flash memory and that demand is strong, with Apple (AAPL: news, chart, profile) and Hewlett-Packard (HPQ: news, chart, profile) planning to ship about 1 million iPods per month starting in October.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    And I thought 800,000 per quarter was an awful lot! I wonder if a million a month can keep up with Christmas demand.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Stevie boy is going for the jugular
  • Reply 3 of 8
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gensor

Stevie boy is going for the jugular

You wouldn't believe how many students are walking around the University campus sporting iPods this year, probably didn't see/notice a single one last year.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chagi

You wouldn't believe how many students are walking around the University campus sporting iPods this year, probably didn't see/notice a single one last year.

Yeah- its a bit on the ridiculous side here at MSU too! I see like 10-20 a day!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I've only seen 3-4 other people with iPods so far. But, I'm not in school anymore (woohoo!!) either.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

I've only seen 3-4 other people with iPods so far. But, I'm not in school anymore (woohoo!!) either.

dont worry--i see about 50 a day at least.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I didn't know iPods used NAND flash memory at all...unless the 32 MB cache is NAND, which it probably isn't.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I didn't know iPods used NAND flash memory at all...unless the 32 MB cache is NAND, which it probably isn't.

It certainly could be, to help save battery juice when your iPod is on pause for >1 minute. You know, the screen goes blank and for all intents and purposes the iPod looks like it's turned off. Then you press play and it's right where you left it. Press play again and the song starts playing from where you paused it. I'm sure using non-volatile RAM saves voltage over having to trickle regular volatile RAM.