Apple seeks help developing iPod accessories

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer may be looking to expand its iPod division to produce accessories for its industry leading digital music player.

Over the last two years Apple Computer has built a small empire around its iPod digital music players, but to this day has passed off the development of iPod accessories to third parties. But with the portable music player market set to explode over the next few years, the company may finally want a piece of the extended action.

According to tipsters, Apple's iPod and Special Projects Group is now looking for a few senior hardware engineers that will be responsible for the development of iPod accessories. Apple job listings indicate that the ideal candidates will become contributors to a top notch team responsible "for the design, implementation, and integration of digital and analog electronics."

While the job postings could represent attempts to place liaisons between Apple and third party iPod developers, it seems more likely that the company will expand upon its newly formed iPod division.

Last month, Apple began soliciting engineers experienced in WiFi and video integration for the same team of iPod developers. The company is also currently looking for several engineers to join the industrial design team responsible for molding future revisions of the music player.

According to Apple, each of its available iPod development positions will require international travel.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Isn't iPod a division of Apple now, as well as a product? I have a memory of Apple creating a new division a couple of months ago.

If this is indeed correct, surely it would actually signify Apply trying to create more products, rather than just add ons to the iPod itself. iPod AV, Airport Remote anyone?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    I'll lend 'em a hand. I'm pretty good with a chisel.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    To keep developers in the fold and happy I hope the iPod division will buy out developers who have key products. For Apple to compete with developers with similar products would probably have a negative effect on future new accessories for the iPod.

Let's let others share in the iPod's great success to everyones benefit.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Bob

To keep developers in the fold and happy I hope the iPod division will buy out developers who have key products. For Apple to compete with developers with similar products would probably have a negative effect on future new accessories for the iPod.

Let's let others share in the iPod's great success to everyones benefit.

Um that's not really a good policy for success. Apple doesn't buy ideas they buy products. Which means if a 3rd party has a good product that makes more sense to aquire then Apple takes the path of least resistence. However, if Apple sees that a product is based on a generic idea or that perhaps it is close but not quite there then they will and should create their own product.

Apple needn't kowtow to developers too much as competition benefits the consumer and that's who ultimately keeps you in business.