Apple to expand Pro Store concept throughout Europe

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's Swedish Pro Store concept is a success and the company plans to share the wealth across Europe.

Though underachieving in Canada, Apple product sales have been on the rise in Sweden.

Sources close to the local Apple division are crediting the company's Pro Store concept for part of the success, and claim that it will soon expanded the program to several additional European countries.

The recently introduced Pro Store concept allows Apple resellers to establish new retail outlets where Apple will aid in the interior design process. The concept--aimed at delivering the Apple retail store experience to Swedish Apple resellers--has been so successful that Apple Europe will reportedly extend it to over 25 locations by late 2005.

In addition to wrapping up 10-15 Swedish Pro Stores, Apple will help form an additional 10 Pro Store locations in the remaining Nordic countries, sources tell AppleInsider.

The concept will also reportedly spread to the UK, where Apple has yet to launch its own retail stores.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Nice idea with the ProStore in Sweden! Where are they loated? I just moved from Los Altos, Bay Area, to Linköping, in my home country Sweden. Yesterday I asked a local store in Linköping for a few extras for my iPod and work Mac, and they said that they had not received any hardware from Apple since June, so that was of course depressing. But maybe there is hope? My birthday is soon and I have told my husband that the new iMac would look nice on my desk...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Um, the MacNN article this story links to is hardly evidence that sales of Apple products are underachieving in Canada.

a) It's referring to one reseller in one city in Canada -- Montreal.

b) It's one retailer that's failing in a city that has a huge graphics design industry. Could it be possible that the online Apple store, which has access to discounts that resellers don't, is stealing business from that particular reseller? Maybe that reseller provides bad service?

I realize AI is basically a rumor site, but come on, show an ounce of journalistic effort when putting together a story.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by maria.jenmalm

Nice idea with the ProStore in Sweden! Where are they loated? I just moved from Los Altos, Bay Area, to Linköping, in my home country Sweden. Yesterday I asked a local store in Linköping for a few extras for my iPod and work Mac, and they said that they had not received any hardware from Apple since June, so that was of course depressing. But maybe there is hope? My birthday is soon and I have told my husband that the new iMac would look nice on my desk...

Right now there are Pro Stores in Malmö, Göteborg and two in Stockholm.

Where the 5 new ones will be located is still unknown.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Patrik_L

Right now there are Pro Stores in Malmö, Göteborg and two in Stockholm.

Where the 5 new ones will be located is still unknown.

Hopefully one will be in Västerås (which is my girlfriend's home town, so I can pop in when I'm in Sweden).

This is a little off-topic, but as there are some Swedish people here I thought I'd ask. I've just ordered my first Mac which will have English OS and UK keyboard (wireless). I know my girlfriend would like to use a swedish layout keyboard if possible. If I buy a wireless swedish mac keyboard will the computer recognise both correctly. Do I need to disable one while using the other, or does it seamlessly pick up keypresses from which ever keyboard is in use. I'd assume it does, but would like to be sure before I buy a new keyboard.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    The Swedish keyboard should work. If you don't have an extra keyboard, you can also use the 'International' option, see Mac Help for Panther:

"About using other languages on your computer

You can change the language shown in menus and dialogs, see dates, times, and numbers displayed according to the conventions of a geographic region, and even write in a language that uses a different writing system (or "script") from yours without having the keyboard that's designed for that language. You set these options using International preferences (choose Apple menu > System Preferences and click International).

If you set up your computer to write in more than one language or to type special characters (for example, mathematical symbols or arrows), the "input menu" appears on the right side of the menu bar. Depending on the items selected in International preferences and what is selected in the input menu, this menu may look like a flag or a letter in the alphabet. When you want to type in another language or type special characters or symbols, you choose an item from the input menu."

Good luck!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Thanks for the tip. I guess I'll just have to wait till my Mac arrives and give it a try. Hopefully it'll be better than the Windows multi-language support...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Your friends (non-, current and ex-PC users) will probably like the little flag in the menu bar. Blue and yellow look good there, as well as around Carolina Kluft at the Olympic games (as some may have noticed a few weeks ago?)!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by maria.jenmalm

Your friends (non-, current and ex-PC users) will probably like the little flag in the menu bar. Blue and yellow look good there, as well as around Carolina Kluft at the Olympic games (as some may have noticed a few weeks ago?)!

sounds good, i'll look out for it when my mac finally arrives (if only my Swedish was better I could use it in Swedish myself).

strange you should mention Carolina Kluft, my girlfriend is apparently related to her somehow - I think by marriage rather than a blood relation so I don't expect to see her next midsommar

anyway, this is getting a bit off-topic, but thanks for your help...