Report: Apple, HP plan to ship 1 million iPods a month

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Research firm says Apple and HP will combine to sell a million iPods a month as the holiday buying season nears.

Apple Computer and Hewlett-Packard are planning to ship about 1 million iPods per month starting in October, the Susquehanna Financial Group (SFG) said in a research report this week.

The reported figure would represent a more than three-fold increase in iPod shipments from the Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple. Last quarter the company shipped a total of 860,000 iPods as it battled a shortage of hard drives for its flavorful iPod mini.

For Apple's fourth fiscal quarter, which ends this month, analysts expect the company to have shipped anywhere from 900,000 to 1.4 million iPods. Still, these numbers pale in comparison to SFG's estimate of 3 million iPods during the company's fiscal Q1 of 2005.

It's unclear if, and for how long, the two companies will be able to sustain sales of 1 million iPods each month. Apple is actively attempting to reduce the cost of its iPod mini player, and could boost post holiday season sales with the introduction of a revised, cheaper mini in early 2005.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Last quarter the company shipped a total of 860,000 iPods as it battled a shortage of hard drives for its flavorful iPod mini.

The iPod minis are not "flavorful." The gumdrop iMacs were flavorful because they were named for fruit: blueberry, lime, tangerine. The word you're looking for is "colorful." "Pink" is not a flavor.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Orange is both a flavor and a colour

ANYWHO............. that is a lot, and with the repeat buyers who want to get the new features and upgrade their iPods...sweet.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    I'd love to see 1.4 million iPods sold during the qtr. These gonzo sales are going to make iTunes a very hard system to beat. No one is predicting these kind of sales. I can guarantee you the CE industry has been sitting up and taking note.

Look for Apple to exhibit at CES in Jan 2005 with a booth with the iPod and 3rd parties. I expect next year the iPod section on Apple's site will be much improved as well. Rather than hyping the iPod models and iTMS I expect Apple to show of the nice ecosystem they've created.

For 2005 I'd like to see Apple go here.

$99

512MB USB based Flash card with store support.

$199

5GB iPod Mini

$299 30GB iPod

$499 60GB iPod

Home Support:

El Gato, Roku Labs and Squeezebox, Tivo

Automobile:

BMW, Audio/VW native support using adapter.

Phatnoise and Kenwood Music Keg
  • Reply 4 of 24
    If this is true then it will be a very good Christmas for a lot of people, including shareholders.

The flash sound right, but I think it will be 1 gig, and that Apple will buy all the factory production . . .
  • Reply 5 of 24
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Forget the Flash based... think about it for a minute.

Controller and screen-wise, how are you going to get much smaller than the mini? You're not. So the space savings from a Flash-based player are non-existent. In which case, if you're going to have to have the space taken up anyway, use the HD. I mean, if it's $99 for a gig, or $199 for 5GB at the same size.... seems silly, eh?
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Last December quarter they sold 800,000 iPods. Now let us think this through. They could have easily sold more but if you remember they ran out of inventory. This year you have the mini and the new 4G iPod with a 30% lower price point and greater consumer awareness plus international distribution with HP. 3 million in the December quarter is a layup. I think Steve Jobs is going to throw down the gauntlet and shoot for 5 million in the Dec quarter. On average you have 40 to 50 downloads per iPod player, so do the math. If they sell 5 million cummulative in months of Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec they that is more than a doubling of iPods in the market from August. That is incredible. Stevie is going to take Microsoft, Sony, Real, Roxio and the rest to school for some serious teaching and whipping.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

$99

512MB USB based Flash card with store support.

• Reply 8 of 24
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Hmm, I don't know, I think iPod + mini + HPod will sell like gangbusters, but a million a month seems a bit ambitious.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong, though. Certainly here in NYC you can't walk down the street for 30 seconds without seeing someone all iPoded up.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

Hmm, I don't know, I think iPod + mini + HPod will sell like gangbusters, but a million a month seems a bit ambitious.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong, though. Certainly here in NYC you can't walk down the street for 30 seconds without seeing someone all iPoded up.

You should see the campus at the University I'm at, didn't see a single iPod all last year, now it seems like everyone has one.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    This is really good to hear. There is no time for Apple to sit around and enjoy their current dominance.

After all the years of Apple being use to their products being 'better, but niche" I have been wondering if they really deep down believe they can win the portable player market in the long term.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Ahem.

Kenaustus,

Don't know why I put 512MB I think a Gigabyte would have to be the bear minimum. I'm thinking this device doubles as a portable player/storage device. It has a 2 line LCD built in with a scroll wheel with tilt that also functions like a button. Thus you simply scroll between the iPod choices and then push the wheel to play/stop the song.

My whole reasoning for flash is for of course the cheapskates as well as active types that want to jog but honestly I don't see how it could be done for less than $149 and that's a bit too close to the iPod mini.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca

http://www.appleturns.com/#3

http://www.appleturns.com/scene/?id=4941

is a better link
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

Orange is both a flavor and a colour

IT'S A FRUIT TOO YOU KNOW!
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca

http://www.appleturns.com/#3

dear god, is that piece of shit site still up?
  • Reply 16 of 24
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Uh, that site is fucking cool. Are you high?
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

Well, last I heard was that HP will be pushing the iPod through 220 000 additional sales channels. Each of those outlets would only have to sell 5 iPods to meet targets.

Uh, that site is fucking cool. Are you high?

Uh ... I hate to break it to you, but if you actually LIKE that site, then you're the one taking drugs.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    I honestly think you're the first person I've ever heard say that. I've been trying to think of another time I've read that here, and I can't.

I guess you learn something new every day. I had no idea that site sucked so bad. Thanks man!

• Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Thanks man!

Hey no problem. In fact, if there are any OTHER sites that you would like to run by me, just go ahead and post them.

Now on the other hand, if you would like my opinion on your wardrobe, interior decorating, or anything like that, well, that's gonna cost 'ya.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    I forgot to add... regarding the ATaT story...

My first PWNED image. Fear my Photoshop skillz. (and don't forget to click it)