Movie editing and gaming on PowerBook??

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

I am considering purchasing a new Mac. I would like to get a PowerBook (15" or 17"), but are movie/picture editing and/or gaming even feasible on a PowerBook? Or are these activities considerably better on an iMac? Thank you so much for your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by JarinS1

Hi,

I am considering purchasing a new Mac. I would like to get a PowerBook (15" or 17"), but are movie/picture editing and/or gaming even feasible on a PowerBook? Or are these activities considerably better on an iMac? Thank you so much for your help.

it depends on what level of video editing you wanna do... if its just music videos or home movies you make, then it'll be fine. if its a huge project with motion graphics, then the iMac G5 would be better. I've found that the biggest problem for me editing on a 12" 1.33Ghz pbook is the screen size, but i dont edit on it.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    The Powerbook is great for both.

Get this...I'm editing 3 documentaries and two corporate training/instructional videos, not to mention an independent film on my 17" Powerbook. Now keep in mind I have 5 LaCie external FW800 drives on my desk, but it's great for all of that. And during the times I'm not editing (in class listening to a boring professor)...I'm playing Halo, WCIII, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, UT2004 on it and it screams! So yeah, the Powerbooks are great for both. But if you plan on doing gaming on the 15 or 17", you should definitely upgrade the video card to 128MB VRAM and the hard drive to 5400RPM. It's well worth it.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

The Powerbook is great for both.

Get this...I'm editing 3 documentaries and two corporate training/instructional videos, not to mention an independent film on my 17" Powerbook. Now keep in mind I have 5 LaCie external FW800 drives on my desk, but it's great for all of that. And during the times I'm not editing (in class listening to a boring professor)...I'm playing Halo, WCIII, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, UT2004 on it and it screams! So yeah, the Powerbooks are great for both. But if you plan on doing gaming on the 15 or 17", you should definitely upgrade the video card to 128MB VRAM and the hard drive to 5400RPM. It's well worth it.

You play UT2004 on it and it screams... For mercy? jk

Seriously, I've been wondering how the current Powerbooks handle UT2004 -- what settings do you use and what is your frame rate?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

if its a huge project with motion graphics, then the iMac G5 would be better..

Not according to the barefeats.com review. The PBook whipped the iMac G5 in that stuff.