What's next for Apple notebooks?

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    ompusompus Posts: 163member
    The problem with going wide-screen on a 12" notebook is that you lose too much vertical space. That's not as big a deal when you're dealing with a 15" or 17" notebook where you've got lots of pixels to play with. For surfing the net and editing documents, vertical space on a 12" notebook is too precious to sacrifice.

On the other hand, for the ultimate tight squeeze, it's easier and more useful to make a screen wider. So...for my time in the air, I suggest a 13.5" widescreen powerbook. This would entail a model about 12.5 inches wide; an inch narrower than the 15" model and about and about 1.5 inches wider than the 12" model. Depth, which is always at a premium, will be 8.5 inches- shallower even than the 12" model. Screen resolution would be approximately 1280 x 768.

My final suggestions are to accept increases in thickness and weight- compared to the 12" notebook- for the sake of battery life. The current 12" powerbook is 1.18" thick. With that in mind, I'd accept a tradeoff to 1.3"-1.4" thick if it ensured world-class run time.

I wouldn't ditch the current 12". But IF I added another powerbook model, I think a 13.5 inch extra-widescreen would have interesting possibilities.
  • Reply 82 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Am I the only one to find the screen light inadequate to illuminate the keyboard? In my 12", I have to try to find the keys in the dark, since the light levels of the screen and of the keyboard under the screen light are significantly different and the eye has to adapt. I wish it had the backlit keyboard.

I would like this feature a lot on the 12" model. I have a hard time seeing the keys with only the display. I hope Apple includes it in the next models.
  • Reply 83 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by s_sarinana

I would like this feature a lot on the 12" model. I have a hard time seeing the keys with only the display. I hope Apple includes it in the next models.

I think there's a good chance of this. Apple tends to migrate features downwards over time, as well as turning options into standard features. For example, at one point Bluetooth and Airport Extreme were both options on the Powerbooks, now both are standard. The lighted keyboard was only available at first on the 17", now it's an option on 15" model. I think that the next round of models will all feature it.
  • Reply 84 of 91
    I'm telling you, larger bus, better screens, and more battery life and I'm happy. I could care less about the faster CPU, GPU or anything else (well, Serial ata hard drives and 7200 RPM drives would be nice, but not as much so as the previous stated desires)but as someone who's a target market for their POWERbook line (film person) these are what I need to keep it competitive.
  • Reply 85 of 91
    Would it be possible to make the screen section detachable? Throw in a touch sensitive surface and you have a pretty nice tablet.
  • Reply 86 of 91
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    That would be cool... but most people don't need that... would it be worth it?
  • Reply 87 of 91
    I have a feeling that would add a huge amount to the cost of a notebook and most people would probably not use it as much.
  • Reply 88 of 91
    Agreed
  • Reply 89 of 91
    Now that the G5 iMac is out with a ton of "user-servicability," maybe the next-gen PB's will bring that user-friendly thinking regarding upgrades forward.

I was disappointed that my CPU wasn't upgradable like the G3 PB; it would be nice if they'd bring that feature back (though it's unlikely, as it's better to sell someone an entirely new notebook when they want to upgrade).
  • Reply 90 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by dexter

Now that the G5 iMac is out with a ton of "user-servicability," maybe the next-gen PB's will bring that user-friendly thinking regarding upgrades forward.

I was disappointed that my CPU wasn't upgradable like the G3 PB; it would be nice if they'd bring that feature back (though it's unlikely, as it's better to sell someone an entirely new notebook when they want to upgrade).

Well, that...and..it's a bit more complicated that just popping in a new CPU.
  • Reply 91 of 91
    Let us dream

On a side note... I don't see apple going the "upgrading cpu" route any more... especially with using liquid cooling now.