Differences between MS Office v.X and 2004?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Okay, I have a previous thread about alternatives to Office v.X which has turned into a great thread with a lot of good suggestions.

But, what are the differences between it and 2004? Why the differences in price? Is one "better" than the other?

Or is the newer version a bloated version of the other, but without much improvement?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Subjectively, I have found that Office 2004 is much, much faster than Office v. X on my dual 1Ghz G4. Entourage v.X with tens of thousands of messages was always slooow, Entourage 2004 is fast. Searching is almost instantaneous.

Excel is also a lot faster...I'd say 2004 is a worthy update by merit of speed alone.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Word 2004 has a notebook view. I like this for taking my notes in class but had i not been eligable for the upgrade for free (although i payed to step-up), i could have done without this view.

Just my $0.02
  • Reply 3 of 10
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    EndNote doesn't work with Office2004 yet. They say an update (for EndNote) is due sometime later this year. But if you rely on EndNote, stick with v.X.

I suspect this happens every time MS releases a new version of Office. It can't be easy to keep up for the EndNote people. It's not like Office has a nice plug-in interface they can use.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    2004 is Cocoa so 'native' spellcheckers are available to you
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

Cocoa? I doubt that highly. Office has always been Carbon (someone feel free to correct me).
  • Reply 6 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by VanDeWaals

Cocoa? I doubt that highly. Office has always been Carbon (someone feel free to correct me).

You are correct. Office v.X is a suite of Carbon apps. I have no supporting information about Office 2004. However, I cannot believe that Microsoft completely rewrote the suite in Cocoa. I think that kelib is confused.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Office 2004 still uses its own proprietary spelling/grammar checker. Windows don't resize in realtime either :/
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Office 2004 supports Unicode for foreign language text. Handy especially if you already have the Adobe CS suite that also supports it so that you can copy and paste between the two apps.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

EndNote doesn't work with Office2004 yet. They say an update (for EndNote) is due sometime later this year. But if you rely on EndNote, stick with v.X.

I suspect this happens every time MS releases a new version of Office. It can't be easy to keep up for the EndNote people. It's not like Office has a nice plug-in interface they can use.

I have trouble enough with EndNote 7 working on WordX. EndNote 7 is slower now than it was on my Apple IIci years ago (ok I have a few more references in it now and linked PDF files.) It crashes often or beach balls for minutes when trying to view a reference. Worst OSX app I have by far.

EndNote has more to do than just update for Wrod 2004. I'm just worried that their MAc effort is going down hill.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib