OFFICIAL NFL thread

Comments

• Reply 81 of 278
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Packers @ Indanapolis:

9 TD passes combined, first running play for either team came in the 2nd quarter, etc, etc.!!

There were DB's in the game, right?

IMHO, barring a key injury, the Eagles will be in the NFC Championship again this year! (And hopefully win it this time! )

IRT the Vikes/Eagles, I agree on the TO catch, but the offical was behind TO, and at full speed it's hard to see the ball jiggling. Still think the Vikes would have lost, they kept choking in the endzone. And Dante was getting pressure/knocked down almost every pass, that's why he had to dink and dunk instead of going deep to Moss. Good to see the Eagles getting pressure from their front 4 after what happened to the line last year.

The Vikes are an impressive team, but IMHO they are not quite ready for primetime. Da Bears gave them all they could handle today!

(watch the Bears beat Philly next week after I said that!)
  • Reply 82 of 278
    That GB/Indy first quarter was the most outrageous quarter of football I may have ever seen.

I am not a total believer of the Eagles yet (actually, their run D specifically), but I am totally convinced of McNabb's skills finally. I mean, it's not the addition of Owens that's the difference maker IMO, it's that McNabb has obviously worked tirelessly on his accuracy, timing and decision making skills. That's the biggest difference with the Eagles's offense this year. McNabb makes passes that he just wasn't making last year, especially the "dink n' dunk" variety, through coverage, over defender but into receivers' hands, getting his passes on front of his receivers most of the time, behind them if it's safer, etc. He's on complete control over his decision making -- when to run, when to step up and throw, etc. He sees every target, and the coverage across the field, and can now use that arm strength to his advantage, like throwing across his body. If the Eagles don't win the Superbowl this year, it won't be McNabb's fault. IMO, forgetting the accomplishments of other active QB's (especially Favre), and the potential of others (especially Vick), he's arguably the best QB in the league right now, and probably will be for several years.
  • Reply 83 of 278
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i feel good for philly these days. it looks like they will finally at least GET to the super bowl this year, and even though i hate t.o., he seems to hve made all the difference everyone suspected he might. wow.

okay, when will the bucs score an offensive touchdown this year? week five, maybe???

green bay/indy... awesome game that i missed due to yard chores. ugh. oh well. at least i got to see a very good saints/rams game (well, at the end).

i am stunned they are even trying to have the steelers/dolphins game right now. "gosh, florida, we know your state is in ruins, but maybe you'd like to check out an overpriced nfl game???"

houston. wow. kansas city... uh-oh.

carson palmer is not ready for primetime. but hey, the only way to learn is to get out there and play.

i am beginning to think there are only 5-6 good teams in the league right now, and the rest are mediocre at best. i don't care how big the lovefest gets for jacksonville... i will not call them "for-real" until after week 8. and even then, they could use another receiver.

didn't see the atlanta/arizona game, but was it as ugly as the score would imply???

seahawks are doing fantastic now. if they can win two more away games, and sweep their homers liek they usually do, they'll get a very high seed and force people to come WAY out west to play them, instead of going into lambeau in winter.

gonna be an interesting season.
  • Reply 84 of 278
    Bahh, I hate the bye week. The only team that matters is the Jets!
  • Reply 85 of 278
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I am not a total believer of the Eagles yet (actually, their run D specifically)

There are a few other birds that are going to have their say before the NFC Championship rolls around.

The Seahawks are the real frickin' deal, and they get to play the Niners and Cardinals twice. That's 4 automatic wins in a 16 game schedule.

If Vick stays healthy and the Falcons offense starts to work in concert, the Falcons could be pretty dangerous too.
  • Reply 86 of 278
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    Heard a talk radio sports guy say "jagwires" this morning. Southern accents tend to pronounce wire like "wa er", but never heard of the inverse.

Saw the Texans pull it out against the Chiefs yesterday. Man, in 2.15 seasons, the Texans never can win a game comfortably. It always come down to the end. Don't know if the Texans defensive line was really good or the Chiefs offensive line sucked, but the Texans put a lot of pressure on Trent Green and that made the difference at the end of the game.

I won't believe the Seahawks are the real deal until they make it to the NFC championship game.

Yeah, the Eagles have no excuses this year. They made it to the NFC championship game on McNabb's intangibles the last 3 years, but they've got all of the players and maturity now. Still, I thought the Vikes could have easily beat them last Monday if not for a few of Culpepper's and coaching's bad decisions and play.

The number 1 in my mind is still the Patriots.
  • Reply 87 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Saw the Texans pull it out against the Chiefs yesterday. Man, in 2.15 seasons, the Texans never can win a game comfortably. It always come down to the end. Don't know if the Texans defensive line was really good or the Chiefs offensive line sucked, but the Texans put a lot of pressure on Trent Green and that made the difference at the end of the game.

The funny thing is, all 3 of their D-linemen went down in the game, and I think they started playing LBs at both 3-4 ends towards the end of the game. Antwain Peek wreaked havoc with his speed, and in the end it was the defense and clutch kicking that gave them the edge.

Not that the Texans didn't have help from the Chiefs coaching staff-they disrespected the Texans going for it on 4th-and-2 on the Texans 6, and when they didn't get it, they started calling time outs at the end of the first half when the Texans had the ball. They obviously thought the Texans would be forced to punt and wanted to have enough time left on the clock for a scoring drive, but instead they helped the Texans drive down and add 3 points. Dick Vermeil is the one who needs to be wearing diapers.
  • Reply 88 of 278
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Steelers 3-1 . . . . and looking good . . .

Rookie Roesthlisberger QB:17 completions in 25 attempts for 174 yards no interceptions . . . . not bad at all for his first Home game . . . only better for here on out . . .

With Staley, H Ward, Randle El, Polumalu, Faneca . . . I think they have a real chance this year . . .
  • Reply 89 of 278
    Roethlisberger with extra Heinz, please...Steelers making a strong bid for the AFC North!

And how's about the Houston Texans getting inside the Raider's heads-4 INTs, 2 fumbles, numerous false starts, and a defensive TD! Of course, they're gonna have a tough time against another one of my favorite teams, the Vikings.

Have I been watching too much ESPN lately?
  • Reply 90 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

Texans v Vikings.

This is going to be difficult for me watch! My old home team versus the new home team. Actually, if it wasn't for my disappointment, bordering on hatred, for Culpepper, I would be pro-Vikings all the way! But alas no. The Vikings should crush the Texans though.

Didn't get to see Texans v Raiders, but Texans are a better than average team while the Raiders are capable of incredible lows. Glad to see the Texans win.

Patriots are still the best team in football.
  • Reply 91 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

This is going to be difficult for me watch! My old home team versus the new home team. Actually, if it wasn't for my disappointment, bordering on hatred, for Culpepper, I would be pro-Vikings all the way! But alas no. The Vikings should crush the Texans though.

Didn't get to see Texans v Raiders, but Texans are a better than average team while the Raiders are capable of incredible lows. Glad to see the Texans win.

i don't know about that . . . the Vikings' #1 FBack is out with a knee injury and Ontario Smith just got suspended for marijuana
  • Reply 92 of 278
    i've never seen the nfl so diluted like it has seemed this year. there are 6-8 strong teams, MAYBE 4 teams mediocre, and the rest are bad, bad and awful bad.
  • Reply 93 of 278
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

We'll see. The first real test since their opener against Indy is in two weeks. My gut feeling is that both the Seahawks AND Eagles will finish the year with better records than the Pats.
  • Reply 94 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i've never seen the nfl so diluted like it has seemed this year. there are 6-8 strong teams, MAYBE 4 teams mediocre, and the rest are bad, bad and awful bad.

It is still early in the season . . . but yeah there does seem to be a real chasm between the really good teams (Pats, colts, Seahawks, Eagles than the rest of the pack . . . with a coupla solid very-bads: 49ers, Dolphins, Bucs.

I think things will shake out and some surprises will ensue . . . I think that the Steelers will continue to move up, Baltimore down and the Colts will fall . . . eventually the Pats will lose a game . . . something tells me they'll lose to a team with black and yellow markings around Halloween! heehee. The Chiefs will continue to climb The Seahawks will stay pretty much the same and the Vikings had a real chance a greatness but puffed it away

Anyway, It seems like this year injuries are playing a much larger role than before . . . good teams are devastated by so many . .

I swear these big buffed dudes who can bench a zillion pounds and run fast NEED to learn real flexibility and health . . . if I were a coach, I'd risk being called a freak and I'd force my team to learn and appreciate YOGA . . . both the physical aspects and the respect for the mind/body philosophy . . . get them understanding the deeper ideas of stress, force, relaxation and the increased strength of targetted exertion . . . . these big burly guys waste alot of energy and are unecessarily stiff and bulky . . . subtlety would reveal them to be awkwardly overdeveloped in wastful directions . . . and they wouldn't hurt themselves so easily either.
  • Reply 95 of 278
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

Anyway, It seems like this year injuries are playing a much larger role than before . . . good teams are devastated by so many . .

I swear these big buffed dudes who can bench a zillion pounds and run fast NEED to learn real flexibility and health . . . if I were a coach, I'd risk being called a freak and I'd force my team to learn and appreciate YOGA . . . both the physical aspects and the respect for the mind/body philosophy . . . get them understanding the deeper ideas of stress, force, relaxation and the increased strength of targetted exertion . . . . these big burly guys waste alot of energy and are unecessarily stiff and bulky . . . subtlety would reveal them to be awkwardly overdeveloped in wastful directions . . . and they wouldn't hurt themselves so easily either.

Remember Herschel Walker? AFAIK, he never had a bad injury his whole career, (college, USFL, NFL) he was into Karate(or Kung Fu?), and even ballet during the offseason. He also said he never used weight training, just resistance/running!
  • Reply 96 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPoster

Remember Herschel Walker? AFAIK, he never had a bad injury his whole career, (college, USFL, NFL) he was into Karate(or Kung Fu?), and even ballet during the offseason. He also said he never used weight training, just resistance/running!

There you go!

If there is doubt as to what martial arts . . . I would say Tea Kwon Do . . . if I remember correctly that is the one that is all about using balance, and your oponents wieght against them . . . as well as discipline and concentration and speed.
  • Reply 97 of 278
    Saw the 4th quarter and OT of the Vikings v Texans. Good game! The big problem with the Vikings for a long time now is that they can't hold onto the lead, and pull through with the clutch score or clutch stop in the 4th quarter to stop the opposing team from making it too close for comfort, or losing. They couldn't make a few first downs or score in the last half of the 4th quarter when they really needed to. Luckily they pulled it out in the end.

David Carr is definitely a more accurate passer than Culpepper, on average. Or at least demonstrates a stronger arm and put passes in just the right places for Andre Johnson. Texans really need to play 4 quarters instead of 1 or 2.
  • Reply 98 of 278
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    That Rams-Seahawks game was a travesty, at least from the Seahawks' point of view.

And does anyone else think the Falcons are still pretenders at this point?
  • Reply 99 of 278
    some good games this weekend. damn near fell asleep during redskins/ravens, though.

my bucs FINALLY won, and they picked a good time to do it. i mean, it's their first divisional game, and on the road. the only silver lining to their piss-poor start was that all the losses were outside the division (and two weren't even in the conference). still, though, the running game does not dominate, their defense cannot close games like it used to, and the offense needs galloway back for any sense of a deep threat (ronde barber is the team's leading touchdown maker, if that gives you any idea). i always thought griese was put in the worst possible situations, following elway and living in his father's shadow. but he's solid, and has learned a lot. will he win it all for you? no. but at least he'll make the games watchable again.
  • Reply 100 of 278
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

That Rams-Seahawks game was a travesty, at least from the Seahawks' point of view.

And does anyone else think the Falcons are still pretenders at this point?

Heck, the entire NFC looks like pretenders.