Mac OS X Tiger (10.4) through seed-program?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
hello!

i'm registered at apple developer connection and have a seed key, transferred to me by a friend of mine!

so i want to know if i will be able to download mac os x 10.4 (final GM version) via apple developer connection? I did so with 10.3 ... and don't blame me for being illegal! It IS legal, for I OWN the seed - key and am ABLE to download it FREE of CHARGE directly from APPLES servers!!!!

just a question to the seed-key participaters out there (p.s. i'm from europe.. maybe this is the reason why there aren't any beta files yet of tiger ???)

thanks,

oddy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Yes, you will be able to.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    that is GOOD news!!!

thank you alot!!!

oddy
  • Reply 3 of 18
    The reason you do not find any beta files of tiger yet is that the Tiger preview DVD was shipped to select and premier members as a part ot their monthly mailing. Updates since this DVD are downloaded using software update in Tiger. (So you need to have Tiger installed and running to be able to download these updates.)

As for downloading the "final GM" 10.4, only time will show. Paying members will get the discs as part of their mailing, so I doubt that a full set of images will be made available for download...

Jan
  • Reply 4 of 18
    So once you install tiger, all updates for tiger are via software update? Or are they going to do like panther, and release new builds to selects or however they did it.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Yes, as of today, the updates are only available using software update in Tiger. I have no idea if (or when?) updates will be posted for regular download.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    How stable is tiger? I just downloaded 10.3.6 and now my machine is hosed. Safari is gone!!!!! Aaargh!
  • Reply 7 of 18
    The slightly-post-WWDC build (the only one available to ADC members... non-free) is not ready for daily use. A number of the frameworks are in the middle of being renovated (internal only... I am not referring to API changes) and so there are a number of bugs that cause crashes, including kernel panics. Most of these leave nice messages in the system log, even giving the apple bug number, and so they are nothing to be worried about. But in the mean time, this is purely a preview to get the new ideas into developers' heads.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Agreed. Anyone thinking they're going to get a l33t new toy for their machine is going to be severely disappointed when they lose their data and have to reformat their drive.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    I used it as my main OS for a couple of months and never experienced data loss, and there was no formating of the HD (just a archive and install). But there was a high level of annoyance.

It does beg the question if Apple should do this sort of thing with all of their early beta OS's... make them annoying enough to use that only people who have a real reason to use the beta will use it.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Agreed. Anyone thinking they're going to get a l33t new toy for their machine is going to be severely disappointed when they lose their data and have to reformat their drive.

Par?ti?tion. (n)
  • Reply 11 of 18
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    How far along is tiger? When do you guy's think it will be released by what you have seen of it's progression?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    First half 2005.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

First half 2005.

I dunno about that *my* source told *me* it was going to be within the first six months of 2005. You might want to recheck your sources.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    That's what Apple says, but what do you guy's think? Is it really that incomplete right now?

You don't think a X-MAS release could be possible. That would be a pretty cool thing for Apple, and Mac OS to take up a bunch of holiday commercials.

I can only imagine the sales.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

That's what Apple says, but what do you guy's think? Is it really that incomplete right now?

You don't think a X-MAS release could be possible. That would be a pretty cool thing for Apple, and Mac OS to take up a bunch of holiday commercials.

I can only imagine the sales.

Disclaimer: This is pure speculation on my part...

10.4 released before MWSF? I don't think so... but... I wouldn't be shocked if Steve stood on stage in early Jan, did an awesome 10.4 demo and then stated the shipping date for 10.4 would be March.

Dave
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Disclaimer: This is pure speculation on my part...

10.4 released before MWSF? I don't think so... but... I wouldn't be shocked if Steve stood on stage in early Jan, did an awesome 10.4 demo and then stated the shipping date for 10.4 would be March.

Dave

I think this is a likely scenario.

On another note, for some reason I've not been able to successfully get any Tiger updates from Software U/D - although I've tried and tried (and yes I *am* a developer). Weird...
  • Reply 17 of 18
    There was only a test update at one point... and I would not be surprised if Apple has since removed it. I would expect that 104 has moved on quite a bit since the post-WWDC build, and that Apple is testing it only in-house, with a very few outside developers (at places like Adobe).

If they do demo it in January, a week afterwards would be the time to look for a final developers preview, so that developers can write and test things like Spotlight plugins. Before then I would be surprised to see any large scale seeding (the type that makes it out to ADC... and the warez sites).
  • Reply 18 of 18
    According to Amazon, it will be released March 31st, 2005. Here's the link: Amazon's pre-order page