How long before we get hit with a virus?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    And open a bunch of ports.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Virus...taco...john...

Too many jokes...
  • Reply 23 of 32
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    To be honest (and somewhat off topic), it is my experience that Macs require clean installs of the OS much more often than PCs do. Sure PCs pile up the crap at a disturbing rate, but somehow they continue to work as good (or as bad) as before, while the Mac's performance degrades rapidly.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpcMs

To be honest (and somewhat off topic), it is my experience that Macs require clean installs of the OS much more often than PCs do. Sure PCs pile up the crap at a disturbing rate, but somehow they continue to work as good (or as bad) as before, while the Mac's performance degrades rapidly.

I think you got "Mac" and "PC" mixed up there... Swap them back around, and all is well in the world again.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Not a chance. Deleting .plists and cached files from a Mac account is so much easier than on a Windows XP box. Caches are found in various cryptically named "Caches" folders. Preference files are in this strange place called a "Preferences" folder.

Windows' Add/Remove Programs facility is far from perfect. Not only do you sometimes get multiple versions listed at once, but all the uninstallers are different. Most leave behind empty folders filled with broken shortcuts or documentation and other files.

Adding hardware via the Device Manager is very easy if you get things right the first time, but there were times when I botched installing drivers for a PCI adapter (Linksys WMP54G) and the card would just refuse to work in a particular slot after that. Putting the card in another slot and reinstalling the drivers worked.

It doesn't help that Windows intentionally shields you from all this with short filenames, hidden directories, and avoidance of the filesystem hierarchy in general.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:

strange world we do live, don't we? huhu?
  • Reply 27 of 32
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Quote:

I would have to agree if we were talking about OS 9 and previous. I remember a 7.5 system that would slow down incredibly after just a few years of use. I never installed any new programs on it either. (Although now that I reminisce, an extension titled "Multimedia Tuner" that a Journeyman Project game installed made movies run like smooth butter!)

But, yeah, on OS X, just run a program like Onyx and you're fine.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Another interesting read as to the Windows world - virus battle is found at: http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...14-maney_x.htm

And, as New wrote earlier... I too often wonder why there has not been [to my limited knowledge] any reports of a Mac-hating crap-ware writer infecting Apples w/ his/her crud? Wouldn't that be a challenge to that kind of person w/ that mindset? I mean, here are all these Apple-freaks [such as I... ], sitting here snug in the relative comfort of crudware-free computer land, while the Windoze world is collapsing around us... wouldn't a person such as these want to find out then just how vulnerable a Mac really is?
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

I wonder why no Mac-hating PC-techhead hasn't written a mac virus yet?

They did, it was called Microsoft Office 98 Mac Edition. It's equal was called Internet Explorer 4.5. These viruses ravaged the Mac landscape for years.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MSMHobbes

Another interesting read as to the Windows world - virus battle is found at: http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...14-maney_x.htm

http://daringfireball.net/2004/09/for_whatever_reasons

Gruber. Is. Awesome.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Quote:

The Mac is like a good neighborhood, where the streets are clean and the crime rate low. You don?t need bars on your windows in a good neighborhood; you don?t need anti-virus software on the Mac.

So the Mac is actually Canadian
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:

Earth calling SpcMs, come in SpcMs.