Classic OS 9

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Do you still have OS 9 on your hard drive? Just wondered if I should delete it or not.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Yes
  • Reply 2 of 20
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Yes, simply out of fear that some day I might need to run something in Classic.

And it takes up less than 200MB of my 160 gig drive, so I'm just going to let it be.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Yes, for as long as I need to produce cds that are OS 9 compatible.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Yes, and the UI is still better than OS X, too. Pretty sad...when are we gonna get functional open/save dialogs?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    'UI still better than OSX', mmm... Not really. But there's still room for improvement.

No need for OS9, though. All apps are OSX now, and they're getting better and better.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

.... No need for OS9, though. All apps are OSX now, and they're getting better and better.

Um, no. A lot of apps have been ported to MacOS X. Other MacOS X apps serve as able replacements for many that have not been ported. However, not all apps have been ported and many of those have no MacOS X substitute. There is no greater proof than the number of newbies who come here crying for help after they remove MacOS 9 from their computers.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    I kept it for about six months after getting my new iBook (two years ago). I deleted it when I realized I had launched it maybe twice in those six months, and I've never missed it. There were, even back then, OSX-native versions or substitutes for every program I needed - usually better than the old OS9 app. There's even OSX-native versions of some of my favorite old games - Quake1 and Starcraft, for example. I do miss the original Railroad Tycoon, though. Ancient games aside, what is there out there that you really still still need OS9 for? Besides the recursive, "so I can produce something that runs in OS9" argument?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Um, no. A lot of apps have been ported to MacOS X. Other MacOS X apps serve as able replacements for many that have not been ported. However, not all apps have been ported and many of those have no MacOS X substitute. There is no greater proof than the number of newbies who come here crying for help after they remove MacOS 9 from their computers.

You can't have all apps ported from a 15 year legacy in two or three years. But in my environment (and I know a lot of Mac users) there is no one missing anything from 9. I use a ziljion apps as a multimedia designer and there's nothing I need from ze elder days. There's even (important) apps on the Mac now that have never been there before, like Maya.

Granted, it took me almost two years before I jumped on X, and I kept 9 for a while, but I never used it since. I can't think of any app I could need from 9. Is there maybe a list of apps that need to be ported to OSX ? Maybe a poll ?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    i still have it on my computer...do i use it? no. i haven't used it once in the past 8 months. but someday i will want to play the original Unreal Tournament again, so, i keep it.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

You can't have all apps ported from a 15 year legacy in two or three years. But in my environment (and I know a lot of Mac users) there is no one missing anything from 9. I use a ziljion apps as a multimedia designer and there's nothing I need from ze elder days. There's even (important) apps on the Mac now that have never been there before, like Maya.

Granted, it took me almost two years before I jumped on X, and I kept 9 for a while, but I never used it since. I can't think of any app I could need from 9. Is there maybe a list of apps that need to be ported to OSX ? Maybe a poll ?

You seem to be narrowly focused on a field that is supported well under MacOS X. Most of my apps have been ported to MacOS X. However, my most important app has not been. I can only hope that its developer will see the light. Failing that, I hope that another developer steps in to fill the void. So far, neither has happened. Still, I hope. In the meantime, I use Classic.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    No way!

I haven't opened classic since I went to OSX.

With Classic I was Mac User, now with OSX I am a Mac Lover!

I was thinking about it the other day, at which point did I go from mac user to lover, and it was easily when I went to OSX and had all the iApps run my life.

iDunno
  • Reply 12 of 20
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

You seem to be narrowly focused on a field that is supported well under MacOS X. Most of my apps have been ported to MacOS X. However, my most important app has not been. I can only hope that its developer will see the light. Failing that, I hope that another developer steps in to fill the void. So far, neither has happened. Still, I hope. In the meantime, I use Classic.

Ok. Maybe we need a list of abandoned OS9 apps then. Let everyone who still has to use 9 for a certain app post the name of the app here (and what it does). Maybe it will bring idea's to some developers ...
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Mmm ... let's make it a thread.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Ok. Maybe we need a list of abandoned OS9 apps then. Let everyone who still has to use 9 for a certain app post the name of the app here (and what it does). Maybe it will bring idea's to some developers ...

That's naïve. Take Corel WordPerfect as an example. Corel is perfectly aware that it has abandoned its Mac users. It abandoned its plans to make WordPerfect available to Mac users again when Microsoft infused the company with cash. Does anyone think that putting WordPerfect on a list of abandoned applications is going to change anything? As for my mission critical application, it is not WordPerfect. Its developer is much more closely identified with the Mac than Corel on its best day. It is making noises about helping its MacOS X users, but has done nothing so far.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

That's naïve. Take Corel WordPerfect as an example. Corel is perfectly aware that it has abandoned its Mac users. It abandoned its plans to make WordPerfect available to Mac users again when Microsoft infused the company with cash. Does anyone think that putting WordPerfect on a list of abandoned applications is going to change anything? As for my mission critical application, it is not WordPerfect. Its developer is much more closely identified with the Mac than Corel on its best day. It is making noises about helping its MacOS X users, but has done nothing so far.

That may be true for some programs, but there's a lot of smaller stuff and shareware thats waiting to be ported. Where the big money is, it's politics and, er, big money. You can't change that. But giving up because a few lame companies won't move because Billy said so, is wrong.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

That may be true for some programs, but there's a lot of smaller stuff and shareware thats waiting to be ported. Where the big money is, it's politics and, er, big money. You can't change that. But giving up because a few lame companies won't move because Billy said so, is wrong.

Who said anything about giving up? But to the point, the fact that there are shareware and freeware is all to the good. I use a lot of it--and not just chat programs and MP3 players. However, my mission critical application is very much commercial and from a major developer. I have examined potential substitutes but have yet to find anything native to MacOS X 10 that is a viable substitute. My awareness of the lameness of the developer, the nastiness of politics, and the power of big money does nothing to solve the underlying problem. Until my developer changes its mind, provides a viable migration path to a different app, or another developer produces a viable substitute, I will continue to run my trusty app in Classic.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    lucylucy Posts: 44member
    The goal of the list is to give developers, not necessarily the ones who have done the abandonment, but others, to see what applications people want on OS X and hopefully be inspired to create them or, if they control an old version, port them.

Also, Mr. Me, you keep saying your mission critical app has not been ported and that the substitutes are unacceptable. This has made me very curious as to what the application is. If you were to tell me/us what the application is, perhaps we could understand why you have to stay with OS 9. At the very least, it would satisfy my curiosity.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Personally, I don't. However, I have to install Mac OS 9.2 in the office for tech support purpose.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lucy

The goal of the list is to give developers, not necessarily the ones who have done the abandonment, but others, to see what applications people want on OS X and hopefully be inspired to create them or, if they control an old version, port them.

Also, Mr. Me, you keep saying your mission critical app has not been ported and that the substitutes are unacceptable. This has made me very curious as to what the application is. If you were to tell me/us what the application is, perhaps we could understand why you have to stay with OS 9. At the very least, it would satisfy my curiosity.

Lucy, I don't "stay" with MacOS 9. However, I use it for my one critical app. I also use MacOS 9 when I run Canvas 3.5, an app for which Canvas 9 is an imperfect upgrade. For just about everything else, I use MacOS X apps.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Yup. Got Classic and still use it.

Primarily, I run Illustrator9 in Classic. Yes, I also have IllustratorCS in OSX. But I split my work week between home and the office, and at the office I am still on an OS9 Mac. I often have to transfer Illustrator files back and forth between locations and work on them. They have a lot of text in them that gets updated often. IllustratorCS's new text engine does not play well with legacy Illustrator files, even when you export the files in a legacy format. So, to save myself a lot of headaches re-setting text, I just stay with Illustrator 9 in both locations.

There is also a nifty little app I use to join segmented movie files that is OS9-only that I use on occasion.