The Great List of Abandoned OS9 apps

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
The title says it all, untough I can't think of one myself. But I noticed a lot of people are still hung on OS9 or OS9 emulation in OSX for certain apps who are not ported to X yet. Or never will, because the company who made it closed it's doors.

Post your for X needed software - but frozen in 9 - here. Maybe some developers are watching.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    Rune, Realmz, Civilization II, Summoner, Baldurs Gate, Diablo, and probably some more..
  • Reply 2 of 54
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Nisus Writer. Okay, so the Nisus Writer people are putting out a new OSX native word processor (Nisus Writer Express) which looks pretty nice, but the truth is that NWE has no more relation to NW than it does to Word.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Rune, Realmz, Civilization II, Summoner, Baldurs Gate, Diablo, and probably some more..

re: civ II

there is an open source version called freeciv that works in X11 or fink.

plus you can do multiplayer...

Its a bit tricky to install and get running, but it works great...

But still not os X native
  • Reply 4 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

re: civ II

there is an open source version called freeciv that works in X11 or fink.

plus you can do multiplayer...

Its a bit tricky to install and get running, but it works great...

But still not os X native

And that was really the point of the thread... Its a lot easier just to install Classic!
  • Reply 5 of 54
    cricket graph -simple and easy charting - RIP

ClarisDraw- yes there is Appleworks, but a few things were better with ClarisDraw, eg. save as EPSF (which worked well for getting drawings into MS Word) and the floating pallet for alignment.

There were a few pinball games I loved, e.g. Tristan, Excalibur
  • Reply 6 of 54
    MDK
  • Reply 7 of 54
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    WordPerfect (yeah, there's lots of OSX word processors, but some folks really loved WP's style tags)
  • Reply 8 of 54
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    TOTAL ANNIHILATION.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

cricket graph -simple and easy charting - RIP

Have you tried Chartsmith?
  • Reply 10 of 54
    Microstation, though that was Bentley bailing out on the Mac as whole, not just OS9/X. Consequently Apple Stores are now designed on PCs.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I understand that BCJ's Bentley office still uses Macs, though I don't know exactly in what capacity. Either they still use really old Macs with really old installs of Microstation (unlikely), or else they use some other Mac CAD software like VectorWorks (they have been loyal to MicroStation for a long time, and had to switch to PCs when Bentley killed it for Macs), or else they just use Macs for presentations -- Illustrator and the like. I can't remember any specifics of my conversations with people from that firm.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Claris (Apple) Works. Yes, I know there is a badly carbonised version available

ResEdit

HyperCard
  • Reply 13 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

Claris (Apple) Works. Yes, I know there is a badly carbonised version available

ResEdit

HyperCard

I have a Carbon ResEdit version which runs on OSX. Its the internal 4.0 release... Its not that good though, because its only updated to actually run in OSX, not do spiffy tricks..
  • Reply 14 of 54
    I have some of the you don't know Jack games and those are all OS 9. Yes you can run them in X but its not native and its got some wierd colors, for some odd reason. There is a new Jack but AFAIK its only windows compatible.

-MacRules101
  • Reply 15 of 54
    Streamline and Fontographer.

Yes, there are some similar programs out there but these two never made the move to X. There is always the rumor that Adobe is going to bundle the Streamline functions into Illustrator but until then I will have to keep classic around to run Streamline. Fontographer doesn't get much use from me these days but I used to use it a lot and it would be nice to see the program updated with newer features.

I also wish that Adobe would make an ATM Deluxe (the program not the extension) for OS X. I know they won't but I sure do miss ATM Deluxe. I like it better than any other Font Management software.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr VanNostran

I also wish that Adobe would make an ATM Deluxe (the program not the extension) for OS X. I know they won't but I sure do miss ATM Deluxe. I like it better than any other Font Management software.

ATM/ATM Deluxe is a terrible hack. ATM really makes no sense in MacOS X 10. However, I do miss Adobe Type Reunion.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

ATM/ATM Deluxe is a terrible hack. ATM really makes no sense in MacOS X 10. However, I do miss Adobe Type Reunion.

Gotta disagree with ATM Deluxe being a "terrible hack". It was by far the simplest and strongest font manager under OS9.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    SoundApp. OK by now it's irrelevant, but if had kept up with the times... GLIDER. The OS X version plays...slower? A 3D version of this ol' classic would be k-rad!
  • Reply 19 of 54
    3D versions of good 2D games are not always the best idea
  • Reply 20 of 54
    Mr. Me

I have to disagree with you about ATM Deluxe. Just like Thorzdad I think ATM Deluxe was great because it was simple yet powerful. I never had any problems under OS 8 or 9 using ATM Deluxe and I use lots of fonts.

I can understand you not liking it but I don't know why you would think it is a "Hack"?