Can Someone Make Me A *SHORT* Drum Loop?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi all.

I find myself in need of a short garage band drum loop. Specifically, a short, 8-bar snare roll (although 4 would probably do the trick). I need the snare work to go behind this (.mp4, 176 KB).

Anyone willing to help? The rest of the drumwork I need I can get by with what's in GB, but I can't find anything like this in the default package.

Thanks in advance. I'll be happy to return the favor (vocals, guitar, or bass) should anyone need it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    A thing I love about GB is that the drum mapping has a Snare on D, D# and E

each is slightly different and they all have different pressure sensitivity.

this layout enables you to create drum rolls pretty easily, because those 3 variations sound really good when played in sequence, and once you've recorded it, all you gotta do is play with the velocity to make it more even.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

A thing I love about GB is that the drum mapping has a Snare on D, D# and E

each is slightly different and they all have different pressure sensitivity.

this layout enables you to create drum rolls pretty easily, because those 3 variations sound really good when played in sequence, and once you've recorded it, all you gotta do is play with the velocity to make it more even.

I don't have a keyboard.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

I don't have a keyboard.

then you can input the midi by hand, or use a program like midikeys to use your computer keyboard to trigger notes.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    There's also a little popup keyboard in garageband.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

There's also a little popup keyboard in garageband.

yea, what I'd do is click the drum on that keyboard to approximate what you're going for, then go into the midi editor and create the appropriate variations and velocity adjustments.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

then you can input the midi by hand, or use a program like midikeys to use your computer keyboard to trigger notes.

Ah! Thanks! I'll give this a shot. But not a rim-shot. Har har.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Able to get anything together?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Able to get anything together?

No time to mess with it until this evening. I'll let ya'll know.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Harumph. The range isn't enough. Even with midikeys and ramping the velocity all the way up, the sound is much too low and doesn't sound much like a snare. And ideas?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Harumph. The range isn't enough. Even with midikeys and ramping the velocity all the way up, the sound is much too low and doesn't sound much like a snare. And ideas?

hm...that's peculiar, in the GB midi information editor are the notes black or gray?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

hm...that's peculiar, in the GB midi information editor are the notes black or gray?

Black. I selected them.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Black. I selected them.

have you tried other methods of inputing the midi?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

have you tried other methods of inputing the midi?

No. I don't have time to do some convoluted workaround for my not having a midi controller. This isn't a complaint about anything other than my laziness about buying a damned midi controller keyboard. I need a kind of marching snare line, not unlike the snare line in that DMB song "Crash."

I've got a little extra cash this pay period; I may pop by my local music store and grab a midi controller.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member