Apple earns less than a nickel per iTunes track

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    But how can they survive, near-term in order to be around when the market opens up and becomes a real business? It's not turning a profit (the industry) right now and it won't for a while. So, maybe the Napster decision to dump their hardware and software business was fatal and stupid? I'm at a loss.

What's Apple's idea for the future of the iTMS?
  • Reply 42 of 46
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Yeah, what about Orbit's question? I'm curious about all of that too.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by OrbitPink

So, maybe the Napster decision to dump their hardware and software business was fatal and stupid?

Exactly.

For the life of me, I can't understand where all these critics are getting the idea that Apple will lose it's strong hold. For that to happen, Apple would have to f*ck up.

If recent history is any indication, things seem to be in Apple's favour.

Did Ebay lose it's dominance despite the fact everyone else opened an Internet Auction site? No. Did Google lose it's dominance, despite everyone else having search? No.

Critics seem to think that you can compare Apple's innicial success with the iTMS with the early and brief success of the first iMac, and you can't do that.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    Great post, thanks for that.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Exactly.

For the life of me, I can't understand where all these critics are getting the idea that Apple will lose it's strong hold. For that to happen, Apple would have to f*ck up.

Not to defend analysts, but those with long memories will remember that Apple has a long and storied history of establishing early leads and blowing them with stupid decisions.

Whether the "new Apple" would do that is another question entirely. They certainly do make mistakes, but they seem to be able to acknowledge them and recover quickly.

Quote:

Critics seem to think that you can compare Apple's innicial success with the iTMS with the early and brief success of the first iMac, and you can't do that.

The media wants drama, so they'll continue to trot out "iPod killers" and "iTMS killers" in the hopes of making the game interesting, so to speak. Meanwhile, both MS and the RIAA will continue to help and even underwrite alternatives (and legislation) with the aim of preserving and extending the monopolies they already enjoy. Between these two, Apple's lead will be under more or less continual assault.

The question, as you observe, is whether any of those assaults are "good enough" to work. Unfortunately for MS and the RIAA, their solutions will more or less automatically have an uphill battle, just because of accumulating ill will. On the technical merits — and to an extent that I find astonishing, and disheartening — nobody seems to either understand the problems or do the necessary work, to field a plausible alternative.
  • Reply 46 of 46
    On the other hand, the main reason the iTMS is so successful is because of the iPod. M$ will never have an answer for the iPod, especially as it gets cheaper and more ubiquitous.