Designing on Macs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey Guys, I am a graphic designer from Phoenix. Currently working on some freelance projects. If there are any designers out there, I need some advice from some fellow designers. Please IM me on aim at genXdesigner thanks guys. MACS RULE

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    genX,

There seems to be lots of Designers here but what kind of Graphic Design advice are you looking for? Like what kind of software to use to what is the best Mac to use for doing Graphic Design? Also you might mention what kind of work you are planning on doing, like print (web or sheet fed, or flexo), screen printed work, web design, or more into the video realm.

If you are doing print work I would offer a few tips to save you lots of time and money.

1). Know the difference between RGB and CMYK. Know when you use them and also know how they change when you convert one to the other. Many designers don't know that you can't print an RGB image and so the printer will have to convert it to CMYK and when it is converted the color will shift (maybe only slightly but it will shift).

2). Know the difference between Vectored Art work and Rastered Images. Vectored Art work is best for logos and simple artwork. Rastered images are pictures and photographs. I use vectored art over rastered art if I can. Many people don't know the difference and often times they use the wrong one at the wrong time.

3). Also be familiar with the idea of resolution and what is acceptable. Your resolution should be twice the line screen of the film (or line screen when it is going direct to plate). If you use 300 dpi (It used to 304.8 but 300 is close) you will be safe as long as you are using it at 100%.

That is all I can think of for now. You might already know these things but many designers who have been "designing" for years don't know or don't do these things and it does cost them in the long run. I hope this helps.