iTMS canada

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I desperately need an iTMS canada! there's a pretty big market here. probably bigger than poland... I hope!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    not goona happen...

kazza is legal up there in the great white north...
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

not goona happen...

What about "iTMS gives a better music downloading experience" and such things?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

not goona happen...

Why must the two be mutually exclusive?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    let me rephrase

not goona happen in the near future...

P2P is legal in Canada, the labels are getting $ in the form of a tax on blank media.

Until the labels are ready to come to the table and cut through the red tape as they have done in Europe and the US a Canadian iTMS will be too much trouble for Apple to put resources into without enough upside. The market is just too small.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    After thinking about it, it might be because iTMS would have to sell each song for 99¢ CAN (which is about 79¢ US right now), as other Canadian online music stores do, which might not leave Apple with any profit at all (they might even be in the red).\
  • Reply 6 of 12
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Besides all of the above, Canada is also concerned about a dominant foreign player coming in and controlling a domestic market.

I realize that this is not an issue that Mac users are used to dealing with — at least, not from this side — but iTMS is threatening to become a monopoly. Antsy and anxious reactions from countries and industries that would have to deal with that monopoly are perfectly natural. Canada is probably waiting for local competitors to gain a foothold first. Apple is probably trying to figure out a way around the fact that the Kazaa ruling turns their karma argument back on them, by forcing any iTMS user who buys recordable media to pay for their music twice.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Besides all of the above, Canada is also concerned about a dominant foreign player coming in and controlling a domestic market.

But I suppose Canada was sleeping when McDonalds, Walmart et al. walked by customs.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

But I suppose Canada was sleeping when McDonalds, Walmart et al. walked by customs.

At least Tim Horton's is fighting the good fight against Dunkin Donuts

Odd how none of these countries mind paying taxes to MS so readily...
  • Reply 9 of 12
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Huh?

I said that Canada was cautious about admitting powerful foreign companies, not that they categorically prohibited them all.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

At least Tim Horton's is fighting the good fight against Dunkin Donuts

Odd how none of these countries mind paying taxes to MS so readily...

I may be mis-reading you, but if your implying that Tim Horton's is Canadian, well, I hate to break it to you, but it's a wholly owned subsidiary of Wendy's.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

I may be mis-reading you, but if your implying that Tim Horton's is Canadian, well, I hate to break it to you, but it's a wholly owned subsidiary of Wendy's.

Well we don't have them in the US (to the best of my knowledge) so I did sort of assume they were based in Canada.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Huh?

I said that Canada was cautious about admitting powerful foreign companies, not that they categorically prohibited them all.

I think Canada is categorically prohibited the wrong companies and, to top it off, LYING to us. It's pretty sad.

If the CRIA is to be believed, they can't wait to see a Canadian iTMS. So is Apple just not interested or is the Canadian RIA just fucking with me?

Who am I to believe? The ever-silent Apple or the stupid and hateful Canadian associations?