Apple Introduces Logic Pro 7 & Logic Express 7

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Hi, Where does it say that wave burner will be inclueded? there's nothing on apple website... is this a rumor or a fact?
  • Reply 22 of 33
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jogasm

Hi, Where does it say that wave burner will be inclueded? there's nothing on apple website... is this a rumor or a fact?

"Waveburner software creates CD masters in Redbook audio format." From the logic 7 features page
  • Reply 23 of 33
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ogunda

again, where is the Emagic hardware.

The safe bet is that it's gone and it's not coming back. Apple's moving as much as possible to software.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    I have never used Soundtrack or Logic Pro, but what are the differences? I assume one is better at certain aspects than the other, so how do you know which one to buy? Also, if you have final cut pro, soundtrack comes with it, so would there be a need for Logic Pro?
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubs23

I have never used Soundtrack or Logic Pro, but what are the differences? I assume one is better at certain aspects than the other, so how do you know which one to buy? Also, if you have final cut pro, soundtrack comes with it, so would there be a need for Logic Pro?

Soundtrack doesn't even pretend to handle midi and audio input as good as Logic Express. Logic Express doesn't pretent to be the ideal app for scoring video.

Soundtrack comes with 4000 loops and handles FCP markers. Logic Express doesn't link to FCP very well and is aimed at audio input and midi plugins.

If you can play an instrument then Logic E is for you. If you are a video person and just want placeholder music or simply backing tracks then Soundtrack is your product.

Hands on mini-review of Logic Pro 7

Bummer there is no full on Plugin Delay Compensation but the ability to save channel strips is huge for workflow and quality. Never again will you forget that chain of plugins that made your strings shine or your drums bang.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Soundtrack doesn't even pretend to handle midi and audio input as good as Logic Express. Logic Express doesn't pretent to be the ideal app for scoring video.

Soundtrack comes with 4000 loops and handles FCP markers. Logic Express doesn't link to FCP very well and is aimed at audio input and midi plugins.

If you can play an instrument then Logic E is for you. If you are a video person and just want placeholder music or simply backing tracks then Soundtrack is your product.

Hands on mini-review of Logic Pro 7

Bummer there is no full on Plugin Delay Compensation but the ability to save channel strips is huge for workflow and quality. Never again will you forget that chain of plugins that made your strings shine or your drums bang.

I see... that makes sense, but that is too bad that logic pro doesn't link with final cut pro very well...But I assume if a project were created in logic pro, final cut pro could use it. That would be really only the main thing it would need to do, at least from what I can tell. Leave the video editng (FCP) to edit video, and the music composing to the music program (Logic).
  • Reply 27 of 33
    cubs23

No I didn't mean Logic Pro. I meant specifically Logic Express doesn't have the FCP linkage. Logic Pro is pretty schweet. You can export/import FCP XML or AAF. Logic Pro also has an automatic movie cut detection which might be useful. You're right though. Logic Pro 7 is going to be very cool once your video is done being edited. Just export and complete your score.

I have a lot of learning to do. No rest for the weary.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Hi Guys,

An update for 329 euros (or 299 dollar) is a lot of money.

On the other hand, if you look at the specs and see whats new it's cool.

Two new synths (one of them is a beatbox, we never had that direct from Emagic)

Waveburner Pro is standard and 9 new plug-ins comes along.

If you buy all these stuff by oyher developers, it will cost you a lot more money.

• Reply 29 of 33
    BUT WHAT ABOUT EDITING????

is the editing in the arrange window still destructive?

I need Non destructive editing.... Im a musician man not a programmer,they Need to change that if im going to buy the bitch.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Catman4d2

BUT WHAT ABOUT EDITING????

is the editing in the arrange window still destructive?

I need Non destructive editing.... Im a musician man not a programmer,they Need to change that if im going to buy the bitch.

What do you mean with destructive?

If you not use the scissors or delete something Logic is not destructive.

By the way, if you save regularly nothing is happen.

And since Logic 5 there is a handy multiple undo function.

If you don't like programming:

You can play your notes on a keyboard and record these via midi.

After that there are several edit-windows where you can edit your material. (remove fault notes or place them somewhere else)

Logic is not more or less destructive than any other computerbased sequencer.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    What i mean is...

the last release had a quick tour on the apple site,Including Videos ,So not yet Owning Logic,I decided to check them out,it said on the video that in the arrange window,the editing was destructive and once you changed somthing it stayed that way... so needless to say i was horrified... if their is indeed an unlimited undo then COOL i can go to sleep at night now.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    I think you're missing hte point of what destructive editing is.

In Final Cut Pro, the editing is non-destructive - because all your clips are stored in the library and not primarily on the timeline. So if you cut off a bit too much of the end of one, no matter how much other stuff you've done in the mean time, you can grab a tool which can stick stuff back onto the end of clips, all automatically.

In Logic, had you done that, unless you could undo back to the change, then the bit you snipped off and deleted is just gone. You could either re-import your source files or load a saved version, but there's no easy way to just add it back on.

Amorya
  • Reply 33 of 33
    yes, before in logic in the arrange window you could only edit audio non-destructive.

edit: although in these previous versions of logic if you deleted the last instance of an audio file in the arrange window it would ask you if you wanted to delete the file on the harddrive.

You would have to double click the file and edit it in the waveform editor to have a destructive result(it saved it as the file or you could make a backup). You would want a destructive result when you are cutting off blank space or trimming the file, that way you would have a nice clean trimmed audio file on your harddrive, say if you are making a bunch of drum loops. Logic 7 just gives you the option to do destructive editing in the arrange window, non-destructive editing is still there.