Apple discontinues dock for 3G iPods

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
As the success of Apple's new 4th generation iPod continues to mount, the company said it will no longer offer its docking station for the previous generation of the digital music player.

Apple Computer this week quietly informed its marketing affiliates that it has halted the production and sale of its docking station for the 3rd generation iPods, AppleInsider has learned.

A note distributed by the company's market division announced that the dock should be considered EOL (end-of-life), effective immediately. The product is referenced by Apple manufacturer number M9130G/A.

Apple also said that it will no longer accept orders for the dock and will cancel all orders currently on backlog. Additionally, the company said there will be no order conversion on pending sales and shipments of the dock.

Last month, the United States Patent and Trademark Office awarded Apple with a patent for the 3rd generation iPod dock, which the computer maker filed for in April of 2003.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Way to go patent office! I guess they technically awarded the patent before the device was officially obsolete, but still...
  • Reply 2 of 16
    I thought the 3g & 4g iPods used the same dock... Hmm. Guess I'll have to go find one before they disappear.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Uberspleef

I thought the 3g & 4g iPods used the same dock... Hmm. Guess I'll have to go find one before they disappear.

Apparently the 3Gs do work with the 4G dock.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    All right! Time to make some money selling mine on eBay!
  • Reply 5 of 16
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Weird. Even if 3Gs work with the 4G dock, it's weird not to convert the orders.

And if they don't, third parties are ready to step up if the demand is there.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    well if the 4g ipod is thinner than the 3g one it might not fit.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Apple Computer this week quietly informed its marketing affiliates

Quietly eh? Like called them up and whispered over the phone. "Oh and btw, psssst. We cancelled the 3G dock. Later"
  • Reply 8 of 16
    well, there goes the christmas gift idea for the girlfriend. Unless I find it in a retailer.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    This is weird. It would seem like that both 3G and 4G iPods could work on the same dock. It's not like this dock is a complex device here.

I wonder if there is a new dock coming?

Mike
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Since the 4G got thinner, the dock connector on the 3G and the 4G are not in the same exact place. You could use the same docks but the iPods would not sit correctly.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    I just plugged my 3G 40GB iPod into my wife's 4G dock. It works fine. Her 4G dock looks and acts just like my 3G dock. What gives?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    foferfofer Posts: 20member
    Quote:

Originally posted by g4jedi

I just plugged my 3G 40GB iPod into my wife's 4G dock. It works fine. Her 4G dock looks and acts just like my 3G dock. What gives?

Hmm... well, speaking of your wife, you know how sometimes when you stick things in holes that are a little bigger than you'd like, how it sort of wiggles around and isn't exactly a TIGHT fit? It's sort of loose? Sure, for all intents and purposes, it FITS ... but it would feel a lot better if it was a nice, SNUG fit?

Well, this is sort of like that.

• Reply 13 of 16
    LOL. Actually, it fits like a glove. Maybe since we both have 40GB iPods and they are both the same thickness. I dunno.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by praetorian

well, there goes the christmas gift idea for the girlfriend. Unless I find it in a retailer.

Well, if that's your idea for a gift, you might want to start looking for a new girlfriend while you're out.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    foferfofer Posts: 20member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Well, if that's your idea for a gift, you might want to start looking for a new girlfriend while you're out.

LOL! And I thought my response was harsh...

Hehe, why not get the gf an extra iPod charger for her travels? Or maybe even a FW hub. She's sure to love that.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    I bought a complete kit from an Apple Center retailer (dock+AC+cable w/dock connector+ monster audio cable). I asked if it will be compatible with my 3G 40GO: "no problem".

Once home, I discover that my 40Go won't fit, it will bip, but not charge until I forcefully insert it further. I got my money back, but no dock!!

I can't understand why Apple do that: it's just a matter offering two plates more, two pieces of plastic!!

My 3G is just 1 year old. They sold many, many of them. So it's a plain stupid decision. And very annoying for us, clients.

faz