Latest Apple interface spotted in new Tiger builds

Comments

• Reply 41 of 95
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Did anyone else noltice that in the first screenshot (Mail 2.0, active), there are some visual anomalies in the scrollbar of the message list pane?

At about halfway down, the top scrollbar's track suddenly shifts inwards a few pixels, only to push back out again. Not to mention that above this anomaly, the scrollbar track looks active, whereas below it looks inactive.

I realize that this is a screenshot from an OS still heavily under development, but does anyone have any ideas why this may have happened? I have never seen the scrollbar do anything like this...
  • Reply 42 of 95
    No more drawers!

That was fast! Apple must be reading our Apple Mac OS X Wish List.

If I may also draw your attention to other requests:

Hide Folders

When running IMAP mail system folders like .mailboxlist should be hidden and not shown in the Mailboxes draw listing.

Use This Mailbox For

Should enable user defined groupings.

HTML Status Bar

When viewing HTML emails there should be an HTML status bar so that when you mouse over a link you can see where it is going to take you before you click on it.

RSS

Implement subscription based RSS in Mail to compliment the browser based viewing in Safari

Also, where has the folder bookmark bar gone that you can see in an earlier version of Mail 2?

Cheers Daniel
  • Reply 43 of 95
    There general consensus at Mac Rumors is that these are fake!

See: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...5&page=1&pp=25

AI: Please varify your sources! :-(

Cheers Daniel
  • Reply 44 of 95
    What can I say? - Ghastly, absolutely ghastly.

It's the same interface as seen in the new main Preferences panel. Title merges into toolbar, toolbar merges into content. wrong wrong wrong.

What's wrong with the 'Pro' interface? It is absolutely excellent, and the new translucent 'flat' floating panels in Motion are excellent too. Roll that out across the entire OS, and I'll be happy.
  • Reply 45 of 95
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by danmanix

What's wrong with the 'Pro' interface? It is absolutely excellent, and the new translucent 'flat' floating panels in Motion are excellent too. Roll that out across the entire OS, and I'll be happy.

I think the 'Pro' interface is a little too 'dark' for most (consumer) users. Though I like it too.

It's a bit silly now if Apple changes their UI to 'white', just when their hardware is all brushed (G5 workstation, displays).

Except the new iMac. Is this an omen ?
  • Reply 46 of 95
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dahacouk

There general consensus at Mac Rumors is that these are fake!

See: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...5&page=1&pp=25

AI: Please varify your sources! :-(

Cheers Daniel

That's funny... this coming from a site that's ONLY 10.4 coverage consists of regurgitating original reports published by AI. It's quite clear that AI has sources with the latest builds - I have no reason to believe that this latest round was hoaxed.

Oh and I just checked that thread - 'general consensus' is a bit of a stretch wouldn't you say? It was one or two posters the rest of the posters have been dismissing them.

Dave
  • Reply 47 of 95
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    They seem real enough to me.

Personally, I like the more streamlined look, and it's not nearly as "gummy" looking as XP. I suspect this appearance is a revised Aqua that hasn't been updated in a lot of places yet. It's just not that important unless, in the case of the main Mail window, the behavior changes -- using a sidebar instead of a drawer, for example.

Don't throw a fit yet over any inconsistency in the appearance. At any rate, I think we should point out that Apple's UI for OS X is almost 4 years old now, the Classic OS was far simpler to begin with and had about 17 years of refinement under its belt, and Tiger is months away (almost a year in my estimation) from release, and they can tinker to their heart's content in the meantime. That would seem like a good idea to me anyway if you want to test out new appearances, UI behaviors, etc.
  • Reply 48 of 95
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

That's funny... this coming from a site that's ONLY 10.4 coverage consists of regurgitating original reports published by AI. It's quite clear that AI has sources with the latest builds - I have no reason to believe that this latest round was hoaxed.

Oh and I just checked that thread - 'general consensus' is a bit of a stretch wouldn't you say? It was one or two posters the rest of the posters have been dismissing them.

Much as I'd like it all to be true what makes me think twice are:

1. Lack of scroll bars for the content window where the content goes off the page.

2. The presence of scroll bars for the email list window where the list doesn't go off the page.

3. The rendering glitch below the scroll bar on the right hand side. Is that a give away?

4. The lack of the bookmarks bar as shown in previous versions of Mail 2.

What say you to those?

Cheers Daniel
  • Reply 49 of 95
    Fake????? ....... No I think that apple is embarking on a new voyage in the UI. I doubt that this will be the first or the last UI look that we will all see over the next few months.

Personally I like is as long as you have a chioce in whether the drawer is hidden or shown.

I wish you had the ability to have themes added to the system with out the need for a APE plugin, I would be all over it.

Who knows maybe they will allow themes like the days in 9.

If i could set up my machine with a PRO looking feel I would be all over it.

zen
  • Reply 50 of 95
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by averagezen

If i could set up my machine with a PRO looking feel I would be all over it.

Ditto. I've been longing for a pro/consumer theme/look for years. It makes sense.
  • Reply 51 of 95
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Looks a lot like iTunes. . .

It would be wild if Mail.app became a free download for Windows and Linux.
  • Reply 52 of 95
    Bingo. I think Apple is taking the success of iTunes' UI and sharing the love. Looks like Aqua and metal are getting closer and closer all the time. Personally, while I think Apple's being opportunistic by taking their best UI ideas and making them pervasive (their UI people are involved with specific project teams, not as the overseers they were back on Tog's day), I also think Apple had an idea of where they wanted to go with the UI and planned this sort of transition from the outset. While the Finder from the DP and public beta days of OS X was a crippled lightweight, I thin kthe general idea of this kind of UI was present if rather flawed.
  • Reply 53 of 95
    gavrielgavriel Posts: 175member
    Dare one hope that Apple replaces the eagle in the Mail icon with something better? It just seems terribly out of place.
  • Reply 54 of 95
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gavriel

Dare one hope that Apple replaces the eagle in the Mail icon with something better? It just seems terribly out of place.

Swedes!

I think most Americans probably don't think twise about it. We have lots of stamps with eagles, an eagle is the symbol of the US Postal Service, etc. I guess Apple stopped short of making it a bald eagle so it wouldn't be quite so provincial.
  • Reply 55 of 95
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gavriel

How about the Queen of England? ;-)

On a serious note I still haven't heard anyone calm my fears (as detailed in http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...986#post682978) that this is a fake!

Cheers Daniel
  • Reply 56 of 95
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Oh no! I'm late to the party, and it looks like the pictures up and vanished. Anyone have their own copies they can put up?
  • Reply 57 of 95
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dahacouk

Much as I'd like it all to be true what makes me think twice are:

1. Lack of scroll bars for the content window where the content goes off the page.

2. The presence of scroll bars for the email list window where the list doesn't go off the page.

Both perfectly understandable in code that's still under development.

Quote:

3. The rendering glitch below the scroll bar on the right hand side. Is that a give away?

It's actually easier to imagine that as an actual rendering glitch than as an error in a mockup. For one thing, it would be more trouble to make in, say, Illustrator; for another, it's an arbitrary enough glitch that it's hard to imagine someone coming up with the idea independently; and for another a UI faker would probably be looking to minimize glitches in order to boost the appearance of authenticity.

Quote:

4. The lack of the bookmarks bar as shown in previous versions of Mail 2.

In development builds, things come and go all the time. Maybe in this build they commented out the bookmarks code to concentrate on something else (or because it was hopelessly broken)? Maybe, after giving the idea a shot, they decided that it didn't work?

Prerelease software is wonky and unpolished, inconsistent and subject to change. If it wasn't, they'd have released it.

I know there was a lot of discussion a while back about how Aqua was designed to match CRT iMac / Yosemite era hardware, and what would happen with Apple moving away from those design cues? Well, now we see. This is the theme for the new hardware.

The way that OS X is organized, Apple should be able to tweak themes every so often and expect well-written applications to auto-update to the new look. There will always be a few exceptions, even among well-written apps, but as a general rule I'm expecting that we'll be getting used to new variations on familiar themes every few years.
  • Reply 58 of 95
    it's great. not as noisy as brushed metal, but not as plain as aqua. hopefully it will resize faster than. brushed metal does. i find that aqua resizes so much faster at times.

i just hope it doesn't look too windowsy in real life. people are saying it looks windowsy but it doesnt get painful on the eyes like windows xp/longhorn blue does.

apple has the only ui that i just dont get sick of looking at after long periods of time.
  • Reply 59 of 95
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    Wish i could apply the Pro app's theme to all my apps. I really need a UI with smaller fonts esp in the context menus. I like the dark color but i think the widgets should be aqua blue because they seem to blend in too much with the dark background.
  • Reply 60 of 95
    As far as evolution of Aqua, I've been hoping that Apple would do to it's main buttons and scrollbars as it did to the 'traffic light' buttons in the titlebar.

They maintain that luscious curves of Aqua, but are so less obtrusive as far as the rest of the page is concerned - ie: the rounderd buttons should be there, but the highest point (the middle of them) should be true with the same level as the content (ie the edges should be grooves, and the buttons shouldn't stand up from the page)