ipods future

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Yeah, it's silly to think the iPod will remain a music-only device forever. Eventually, it'll do video even if die-hard iPod fans disagree. Everyone will start doing it. Archos and RCA are the first. Creative Labs, Samsung and all the others are launching devices that start doing this. These devices don't have tiny 2 inch screens. Apple is gonna have to counter that someday, with a far better alternative to those early devices. For now, it's a kick ass MP3 player and the best of its kind. Someday it'll be a kick ass video player. The best of its kind. It's just a little early for Apple as of today.

I really like the Archos AV, BTW.

iPod rules. I love my 3G.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

Yeah, it's silly to think the iPod will remain a music-only device forever. Eventually, it'll do video even if die-hard iPod fans disagree. Everyone will start doing it. Archos and RCA are the first. Creative Labs, Samsung and all the others are launching devices that start doing this. These devices don't have tiny 2 inch screens. Apple is gonna have to counter that someday, with a far better alternative to those early devices. For now, it's a kick ass MP3 player and the best of its kind. Someday it'll be a kick ass video player. The best of its kind. It's just a little early for Apple as of today.

I totally agree. I bought one of the early archos jukebox 20mb bricks and it sucked. It was nearly impossible to find a song. Archos is at it again with the new device. It's main drawback is that content hasn't cought up with the drm scheme of the music industry and apple. Wait till the amount of piracy inreases on movies. Then a viable drm scheme will come about and at that time I will bet so will apple with its video device.

also, by that time airport express should have more bandwidth for video and the QT7 should also be out with scaleable Hi def.

Apple usually waits till the technology is ripe before putting out a product. Usually.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

I agree with that. I disagree with the contingent that expected it in the last update .
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Maybe this is mad, but I pretty much carry my powerbook everywhere. Its reasonably sized and weighted. However, it's not always convenient to get it out - pop the lid and bash away - ever been on a cramped train, or even just in a fairly rough area (I wouldn't want to get my Powerbook out on the road that I live on).

Any road, the idea - that the iPod could be a handheld window on your Powerbook, which can remain in your bag. I guess with the contacts and appointments function it already is - but a lot of people want some sort of Apple PDA, and perhaps the iPod is it - but just a dummy terminal, rather than some fully endowed pocket computer, like a traditional PDA. After all there's little point in have two computers.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

The trick to this is understanding the nature of the iPod. It plays audio partly because that's a hook, and partly because you can "background" audio: I can listen to my iPod while, say, composing this post. Video demands your full attention, and unlike with audio, a video screen has to have a certain size to comfortably convey visual "stereo" (one possible exception would be video goggles, but those have been right around the corner for how long now? and besides, earbuds don't interfere with my ability to tell where I'm going).

On the other hand, hard drive capacities are rapidly becoming too immense for music alone to justify them. The iPod will need additional capabilities that are broadly popular in order to continue selling at the high end. Think "Home on iPod".

As Steve said at the iPod's introduction, a pod is a container. So imagine "your life, to go." Your pictures, your movies, your photos, your music, your documents, all on board, all sync'd up just as effortlessly as your music is now. You don't have to be able to play them all on the iPod. You just need names and folders, really, which fit right into the iPod's current UI, and some means of getting the documents to a device that can meaningfully display the content (like a TV). The dock connector, which is completely open-ended in terms of what information it can send and receive because Apple controls it, is the perfect interface for this. Plug your iPod through the dock connector to a TV, and show your movies the way they were meant to be seen.

We might see some ability to display photos, still frames or maybe even short videos (that fit easily in the iPod's RAM buffer) if OLED screens stop sucking in the near future. Who knows when that'll happen? Right now they're only used for very simple things, or on essentially disposable items, because they don't last long before the color starts degenerating. But once that's sorted out, they're cheap, they don't have to be printed on glass, they don't require backlights, and they use very little power. It won't be long, I don't think, before they're an attractive alternative to the current passive-matrix LCD in the iPod even without considering the fact that they're color. But they're not there yet.

The key with Apple design is that they don't try to do things only because they can, or cram in features just because they'll fit or they sound cool. If they ship a relatively featureful device, it's because the features made sense together and it was easy to package them into a simple device (iPod, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express). And if they show off a little, it's because they found a really snazzy way to do an essentially functional thing.

All that said, discussion of iPods past, present and future belongs in Digital Hub.

I completely agree, I've been saying the same thing since people were realising exactly how much the iPod "could" do. But nobody wants to view video or photos on a screen that size. Which is why you must be able to store and than use as a remote to control the video and photos when it's connected to a tv. Than set up a syncing system in iPhoto and make iMovie a video jukebox and editor and be able to also sync with that. At that point your entire life would be in a little gadget that fits in your pocket.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    blackyblacky Posts: 24member
    well....here it is...sorry apple folks....as i mentioned earlier...its inevitable...naturally, until stevo says so...some people just cant see whats in front of them
  • Reply 27 of 32
    blackyblacky Posts: 24member
  • Reply 28 of 32
    I like the idea of having the iPod be a "container" for your life to go. Having your applications and documents available at any computer you plug into, being able to watch a movie or view pictures when plugged into a TV or projector, etc..

"Home on iPod" was something I heard about some time ago, but then it seemed to just dissappear. What happened?

The iPod dock is small enough, and could possible be adapted to plug into a TV, projector, or whatever. I just don't think that I could watch a movie on a 2" screen. Amorph's comments make sense to me.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Open up the iPod for third party developers. Emphasize it's use as a container. There is no reason why people can't develop third party adapters / solutions for video, etc. Only problem with that is the lack of a robust DRM that works for all media.

Take your home videos, photo albums, email,etc. with you when you visit someone. Plug it in and voila. I would like to do that instead of carrying a laptop around. They are too bulky. (I use a Thinkpad R51 at work)

<<< on the other hand, the device will be banned from a number of places for security reasons if this happens >>>
  • Reply 30 of 32
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    I was thinking the other day if we would ever see a 'PowerPod'.

iPod is a totally consumer targetted product now, hence it's an 'i' product only, but what if Apple extended it's abilities to more of a PDA type device?

A cut down version of OS X, colour screen etc. You could still play your iTunes on it but also do much more.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Oh no, this thread has gone from a 'video on iPod' discussion, to a PDA thread, how about we discuss these things yet again.... and again.... and again
  • Reply 32 of 32
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    "i was visiting a friend...he showed me a gadget hes had for nearly 3 years....check it out.....

what is apple waiting for?.....i wish this was available with a design by jonathan ives..."

Actually... the device in the link... the Archos AV420, has been out for only a few months. The original video player, which I would imagine you're referring to, wasn't nearly the device that they offer today. It was innovative, yes... but far from a mainstream offering. The newest Archos line has actually been reviewed very well.

It shouldn't be said that Apple has been dragging its heals. While the iPod wasn't the first hard drive player, it was by far the first to gain mainstream acceptance. There is also price to consider... the Archos AV420 retails for $550 for the 20GB version. It's not a price point that will grab an audience other than people looking specifically for the extra features it has to offer. You can get an entire cheap PC set up for that price.

So, it is a great device... but so is the iPod. They just go after different groups of people. It's kind of the way I feel about cell phones. I would really like to be able to get a decent cell phone from Sprint that does not have a camera built in. They have sort of crappy phones... then the ones with cameras. Plus they can push their digital services... if you take pics... you'll want to send them. I feel the same way about the iPod... or other DAPs... I"m not a big fan of converging technologies. I like my phone to be my phone... I like my DAP to be a good DAP with the features I want. I don't want it to be twice the size so they can stick other stuff in there.

Mentioning that Archos has had a video player out for years... sort of makes my point... I didn't want it then... and I don't want it now. The option has been there for years if I had wanted it. The new Microsoft media players are even less appealing with their built in DRM.

I don't think Apple is falling behind anyone... I just don't think there is a big market for these products. I could be wrong... after all, there were other DAPs before the iPod... but Apple created mainstream acceptance for what was before a mostly techy, computer nerd kinda device.