Tired of the 6800 crap? Email NVIDIA!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    Everyone I know that ordered a 6800 back when I did, was offered a 9600 to hold them over until their 6800 ships. I think those with the 30" screen are an exception to that, but i could be wrong.
  • Reply 22 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by UnixMac

Everyone I know that ordered a 6800 back when I did, was offered a 9600 to hold them over until their 6800 ships. I think those with the 30" screen are an exception to that, but i could be wrong.

Yeah its true. I did that. I optioned out my 6800 for the ATI 9600. I can do it because I am using my G5 with two 23" screens. Its a great deal and I think Apple is really admirable for doing it. They are giving a me a free video card out of it and my machine sooner. I did the option last Thursday and I should have my G5 2.5 by Friday. In my opinion Apple is doing a splendid job but then hey I just might a good customer.

Just my $00000.02,

CGP
  • Reply 23 of 71
    Quote:

we should join in the complaint emails to both Apple and Nvidia.

I am still trying to figure how this will cause the thing to be shipped any sooner.
  • Reply 24 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

I am still trying to figure how this will cause the thing to be shipped any sooner.

It may not help THIS TIME, but as we speak about this issue, I also have a new iMac on order for my 72 year old mom, to replace her 6 year old G4. As I would like for her to get it before she turns 73, or God forbid passes away, letting Apple and others know that I expect delivery times to be met is one way to insure this.

So no, this won't help deliver my 6800 quicker, but it may help with eliminating future headaches to let them know that it's not acceptable to wait 4 months for a product after one has ordered it and it was announced.

• Reply 25 of 71
    Quote:

It may not help THIS TIME...letting Apple and others know that I expect delivery times to be met is one way to insure this...So no, this won't help deliver my 6800 quicker, but it may help with eliminating future headaches to let them know that it's not acceptable to wait 4 months for a product after one has ordered it and it was announced.

Actually...no. You're not getting me. Your complaining WILL NOT make any product appear faster...ever. Now...should Apple avoid advance announcing products? Perhaps. That's what you really appear to want. In which case, Apple should not have announced the 30" and its corresponding card until at least October 1st...perhaps November 1st. But then, of course, everyone would be whining that they are holding products back. Things get done when they get done. Complaining about them not getting done when you expect or want them to doesn't change that. This is the attitude most project managers have. It never works. Sorry.
  • Reply 26 of 71
    Quote:

Actually...no. You're not getting me. Your complaining WILL NOT make any product appear faster...ever. Now...should Apple avoid advance announcing products? Perhaps. That's what you really appear to want. In which case, Apple should not have announced the 30" and its corresponding card until at least October 1st...perhaps November 1st. But then, of course, everyone would be whining that they are holding products back. Things get done when they get done. Complaining about them not getting done when you expect or want them to doesn't change that. This is the attitude most project managers have. It never works. Sorry.

I for one would not be one of those complaining if a company waited to announce a product when their inventories were capable of meeting the demand expected. With that said, I am very happy with my Mac, and for the most part with Apple. Considering the alternative, Dell, Gateway, etc.. they are good enough for my business.

However, my complaint to them yielded me a ATI 9600XT free of charge, and .Mac So it was worth something to me at-least.
  • Reply 27 of 71
    Quote:

It seems to me that this is all about semantics, 'appears' versus 'announced' and the like. I think the real point here is that over the past year the majority of new hardware planned or announced by Apple ends up the victim of ridiculously long delays. I am fully aware that much of this is on the shoulders of IBM and nVidia; however, I also am quite sure that Apple has been fully briefed about these delays. What's amazing is the silence as far as any sort of specific information. Yes, we know when the latest of the numerous expected ship dates given is- but what is the reason for the delays? Trouble with 90(or whatever)nm process for the GPUs? Instabilities or bugs? Call me curious, but for $500, I want to know what sort of problems they are having with the damn thing.

Consumers don't benefit from a corporation's silence- shareholders, stock ratings, and stock prices do; and while maintaining stong investments in your business is important, so is being honest and fair with your customers- without us there wouldn't still be an Apple.

All i'm saying is, why do we need to jump all up on someone's ass just because they want to vent their frustrations to the management? When you wait three and four months for a computer, the companies responsible need to hear about it. I don't believe anyone here is dilluded enough to believe that doing so will magically make 6800 cards appear on shelves everywhere; although, the next time thought is given to taking preorders, every effort will be taken to ensure that the product is ready for production by the specified date and not just scheduled for production. As for people complaining about Apple 'holding out' on products, its not like we ever have any idea what Apple is up to- they keep secrets almost as well as they design and build computers.
  • Reply 28 of 71
    I am a commercial photographer. Let me provide an example of a good product announcement. I use Nikon cameras. Cannon has been selling a larger res model for months and although highly anticipated there was no word at all from Nikon about a new model.

Last month Nikon announced their new D2X. When they announced it THEY SAID EARLY 2005 DELIVERY! They now say January.

I believe a couple things about Nikon. They do not, do not rush products to market. When they arrive they are quality. Nikon lost business to Cannon by taking their time. Nikon's sales in high res cameras will crash between now and January from people not buying the current, old models. Experience tells me Nikon will deliver in January as promised and Nikon will deliver a first class top quality product.

To me it's all about delivering a quality product and keeping promises.

That my friends is why I am a very loyal Nikon user. That my friends is why Apple's silence has become so extremely loud. False promise after false promise accompanied by deafening silence from Apple.
  • Reply 29 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikefl420

It seems to me that this is all about semantics, 'appears' versus 'announced' and the like. I think the real point here is that over the past year the majority of new hardware planned or announced by Apple ends up the victim of ridiculously long delays. I am fully aware that much of this is on the shoulders of IBM and nVidia; however, I also am quite sure that Apple has been fully briefed about these delays. What's amazing is the silence as far as any sort of specific information. Yes, we know when the latest of the numerous expected ship dates given is- but what is the reason for the delays? Trouble with 90(or whatever)nm process for the GPUs? Instabilities or bugs? Call me curious, but for $500, I want to know what sort of problems they are having with the damn thing.

Consumers don't benefit from a corporation's silence- shareholders, stock ratings, and stock prices do; and while maintaining stong investments in your business is important, so is being honest and fair with your customers- without us there wouldn't still be an Apple.

All i'm saying is, why do we need to jump all up on someone's ass just because they want to vent their frustrations to the management? When you wait three and four months for a computer, the companies responsible need to hear about it. I don't believe anyone here is dilluded enough to believe that doing so will magically make 6800 cards appear on shelves everywhere; although, the next time thought is given to taking preorders, every effort will be taken to ensure that the product is ready for production by the specified date and not just scheduled for production. As for people complaining about Apple 'holding out' on products, its not like we ever have any idea what Apple is up to- they keep secrets almost as well as they design and build computers.

Very well said.
  • Reply 30 of 71
    dorndorn Posts: 28member
    FYI, read up on some of the video card sites (www.hardocp.com forums) there's some interesting similar threads when nvidia delayed shipment of the 6800 cards to resellers for "whatever" reasons.

Dunno... imho its a huge deal new chipset (i own a 6800gt in a pc) and the usual "new stuff" events occured.

delays, poor communication, shortages, etc.

I don't think i remember Apple ever posting something explaning a delay. I do agree it could be better communicated, but /shrug anything said is going to be picked apart as well.

(just for clarity, not defending Apple, if my money was tied up on a 6800, there would be buildings on fire)

(disclaimer 2 for humor impaired, building fires are bad, dont do it, thats a literary metaphor)
  • Reply 31 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dorn

if my money was tied up on a 6800, there would be buildings on fire

But they don't actually charge your card until they ship, am I right?
  • Reply 32 of 71
    Quote:

I need to double check, but I believe I'm all squared up with Apple on this system. The 9600 was sent in lieu of the 6800 but the price wasn't adjusted for the 9600. The good news is that I get to keep the 9600 when the 6800 is shipped.
  • Reply 33 of 71
    dorndorn Posts: 28member
    Quote:

Right, but cmon, its that instant gratification thing that needs attending...
  • Reply 34 of 71
    Quote:

I need to double check, but I believe I'm all squared up with Apple on this system. The 9600 was sent in lieu of the 6800 but the price wasn't adjusted for the 9600. The good news is that I get to keep the 9600 when the 6800 is shipped.

I'll owe apple $360 for the 6800 when it ships.
  • Reply 35 of 71
    let me get this straight...

so if I order a g5 w/ 6800 now I will get a prelim. ship date in Nov. which may or may not slip even further... but IF I complain about this date(?) or a slip notification they will offer to ship w/ an ati 9600 much sooner and later ship the 6800 at no additional cost (ie just paying for the 6800).

Is this still happening or is this just for those that ordered back in july?
  • Reply 36 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by dirk gently

so if I order a g5 w/ 6800 now I will get a prelim. ship date in Nov. which may or may not slip even further... but IF I complain about this date(?) or a slip notification they will offer to ship w/ an ati 9600 much sooner and later ship the 6800 at no additional cost (ie just paying for the 6800).

I doubt it now.... I ordered back in late June, and at that time, they held up the delivery of my computer because the word that Apple gave me was that the Nvidia 6800 system will not ship until late Aug. Otherwise, I could have had my computer by mid Aug.

Since they promised me a system by late Aug, they obviously had to do something for me (after I complained) and the offered to ship the machine with the 9600XT and then in late Sept the 6800 would ship. Well, now then recently contacted me and said that this is yet again delayed until Oct 15th. I am still waiting for a call telling me it "by Christmas"

So I doubt that they are going to tell you that your 6800 is going to ship on a certain date now, unless they are for sure that the can meet it. So basically, you'll just get told to wait until their available.

Did I loose you yet?
  • Reply 37 of 71
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Did I lose you yet?

You never found me.

But yes, I think they've probably fixed the supply issues, and now they're working through the backlog.
  • Reply 38 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by dirk gently

Well I ordered a 2.5 G5 w/ the 6800 on 9/21 and the original ship date was 10/29. After reading the threads on here and hearing that the delay was because of the graphics card and that some people were offered the 9600 as a placeholder I decided to call Apple.

They didnt "offer" me anything but I told them that I wanted them to send my G5 with the basic graphics card now, or whenever it would have shipped without the 6800 and then send the 6800 whenever it comes in. So they went ahead and did that and priced down the 6800 card so that the price is the same as my original order.

But guess what, the 6800 card is still scheduled for 10/29 (which I expected) but the G5 tower itself is now scheduled to ship by 11/12.

How f*cked up is that?

Im hoping the ship date is just really pessimistic but I might have a GeForce 6800 and no computer.
  • Reply 39 of 71
    My dual 2.5 WITH the 6800 has shipped!!!! My 30" display will ship on or before 10/25
  • Reply 40 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by iHarry

My dual 2.5 WITH the 6800 has shipped!!!! My 30" display will ship on or before 10/25

Mine too!! Just got the email. Woohoo!!!