The Super-SuperDrive for the next PM Gen.?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Quote:

dubiousmike

what about dvd rw drives? why doesn't apple sell those as an option?

if i'm not mistaken, the first superdrives were dvd-r/rw, but apple stopped producing the -rw aspect because of the lack of necessity for it. few people needed, so they stopped supplying it. i think thats how it went, correct me if i'm wrong, anyone
  • Reply 23 of 26
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    You can already buy the Pioneer DVR-A08. It's been available for over a month.

Quote:

Originally posted by exhibit_13

if i'm not mistaken, the first superdrives were dvd-r/rw, but apple stopped producing the -rw aspect because of the lack of necessity for it. few people needed, so they stopped supplying it. i think thats how it went, correct me if i'm wrong, anyone

DVD-RW is the disc. Not the burner. If the write they write. The discs are what is rewrite-able. Meaning. ALL DVD burners are rewrite-able if you have RW discs.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    d3ctd3ct Posts: 56member
    does anyone know if these new drives will be able to burn high definition dvd's (used together with final cut pro hd, obviously). i know of bluray dvd's and hd-dvd's that are currently competing for the next standard of dvd supporting true high definition for movies and such with bluray holding up to 50gbsingle maybe 100gb dual and hd-dvd holding up to 30single and 60 dual(current dvd's cant take full advantage of high definition).

im wondering if apple has supported one or the other yet and is basing their next drive on one of these technologies? hopefuly they go with blu-ray and hopefuly this drive can truly burn high definition media so we could all enjoy our projects at the best qualities!

also any info on this being compatible with the new dvd-audio media? hopefuly we can start getting to burning some true surround sound music too

thanx
  • Reply 25 of 26
    8 gig?

Wake me up when they introduce Blu-Ray or equivalent in the high end machines.

My bet is mid 2006 at latest. They'll even be in the kids game console by then.