Optimum G5 for video editing

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi I am getting a dual 2.5 G5 soon and am wondering what the best video editing configuration for it would be. This is what I think:

4.5 GB RAM

160 GB HD + 500 GB External Lacie Big Disk Extreme

ATI Radeon XT 9800 Pro

23" HP f2304 Widescreen LCD

Now tell me what you think! (Like if I don't need that much RAM; which btw I'm NOT buying from Apple, but 4allmemory.com or Crucial)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    you are WONDERING? that seems like a pretty sick setup.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Well I'm "wondering" If I don't need so much memory, etc. or if I need more. Cuz I'm not too sure (btw I will be using Final Cut Pro HD, Motion, DVD Studio Pro 3, Shake 3.5, Photoshop CS, Illustrator, and maybe After Effects-if shake gets too complicated). And also if it would be better to get another internal HD or go with the external 500 GB Lacie. Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JtheVGKing

Well I'm "wondering" If I don't need so much memory, etc. or if I need more. Cuz I'm not too sure (btw I will be using Final Cut Pro HD, Motion, DVD Studio Pro 3, Shake 3.5, Photoshop CS, Illustrator, and maybe After Effects-if shake gets too complicated). And also if it would be better to get another internal HD or go with the external 500 GB Lacie. Thanks.

Try to go with the external HD they're more flexible. The RAM you have is good. 4.5GB is perfect right now. Motion, AE..hell all the apps will love having that much memory. Get a good keyboard eventually. They have those keyboards with FCP key commands preset. They will help you get really fast but that can come later. The Contour Shuttle Pro is a nice add-on as well for doing jog/shuttle work and automated buttons.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Hi I am getting a dual 2.5 G5 soon and am wondering what the best video editing configuration for it would be. This is what I think:

4.5 GB RAM

ATI Radeon XT 9800 Pro

Now tell me what you think! (Like if I don't need that much RAM; which btw I'm NOT buying from Apple, but 4allmemory.com or Crucial)

How many apps will you typically have open at once? Because I believe that EACH app is still limited to 2GB each.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Only one 23" screen? Pfft. Amateur.

I personally think 4.5 gigs of ram is overkill, but if money is no object, what the hell.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Well, depends on what kind of video editing you do. You might want to also consider a HUGE Systems RAID box with 1TB Storage...4.5GB RAM is good...processors good obviously. I still would have went with the 250GB internal drive for music/photo/app storage...but that's me. Other than that...sounds like the setup I have at my production company.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

4.5 GB RAM

ATI Radeon XT 9800 Pro

read my signature--its not overkill. i routinely have final cut, dvd studio, photoshop, and either motion or after effects open at the same time. I've come extremely close to using up all 4.5 GB (like less than 100MB until i was maxed out).

here's a pic of my setup right now
  • Reply 8 of 12
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Reviews I've read about Motion stress how important the video card is. It has a huge effect.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    the cool gut

"Only one 23" screen? Pfft. Amateur."

Well I hope you were being sarcastic then But yes in case u weren't I am an amateur.

And I really don't think I will be using multiple programs at once. MAYBE 2 programs at once, I don't think any more. So should i just stick to like 2.5 GB then? (2 GB+ stock 512)

And i would go for the internal 250 but I think im getting it at the store not online--Cuz it takes too long to ship (if I got it online I would upgrade to the 250 internal) which also brings up a good point: it comes with a Radeon 9600 in the store. I'm not really gonna be playing computer games so should I really upgrade it?

Anyway thanks (and I'm not in a production company or anything, I'm just an independent filmmaking student with an amazingly welcome educational trust)
  • Reply 10 of 12
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

the cool gut

"Only one 23" screen? Pfft. Amateur."

Well I hope you were being sarcastic then But yes in case u weren't I am an amateur.

And I really don't think I will be using multiple programs at once. MAYBE 2 programs at once, I don't think any more. So should i just stick to like 2.5 GB then? (2 GB+ stock 512)

And i would go for the internal 250 but I think im getting it at the store not online--Cuz it takes too long to ship (if I got it online I would upgrade to the 250 internal) which also brings up a good point: it comes with a Radeon 9600 in the store. I'm not really gonna be playing computer games so should I really upgrade it?

Anyway thanks (and I'm not in a production company or anything, I'm just an independent filmmaking student with an amazingly welcome educational trust)

definitley stick with 2.5GB based on what you just said. i really would reccomend the 9800XT though, for motion graphics.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    I use FCP a lot. And I've found that it's much easier to use this app on dual monitors. Personally, I prefer a 23" and 17" combo. But I've worked on my buddies editing station and he's using dual 20" which is very very nice.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I've never really thought of getting dual monitors, but if I did i would say the 23" and 17" would be the best (so I can watch DVD's etc on the 23") So what would the overall benefit of getting dual monitors be anyway?

Also, I think I will stick to the 2.5 GB RAM, at least until I see that I need more. And yeah, I'll eventually upgrade my graphics card-whenever I have the money (my credit limit isn't infinite!!!).