power mac won't get any faster

Comments

• Reply 201 of 296
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I don't expect it to be multicore either. Of course it's in the works, but that doesn't mean we'll get one.
  • Reply 202 of 296
    I think the rev c Pmac G5 will be dual core. As long as IBM doesn't run into trouble with antares(which they shouldn't since they have exprience with dual core CPU's). IBM should have them shipping in January. Oh look just in time for the Pmac to be upgraded. I am sure the next Pmac rev will not be silent since apple will want to show off the first dual core processor to the consumer/pro in an event.
  • Reply 203 of 296
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Here are two things I've learned over the years. #1 Don't get your hopes up. If you think something should be, and is going to be released at a particular show your setting your self up for a huge let down.

#2 See #1.
  • Reply 204 of 296
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

#2 See #1.

I would be too surprised if the next Power Mac update brings dual core processors. What would we get, a quad processor Mac, if the dual processor design is retained? Too expensive (or too much) to be true for the beginning of next year.
  • Reply 205 of 296
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nr9

IBM

even though you don't even have to work to find out

just join ACM SIGARCH

im sure you will learn a lot

Amazing what crops up when you are driving cross country.

Hmmm, I'm a member and don't know what you are referencing at all. Nothing of note comes up in the Portal either. Your fingers are currently caught in the cookie jar.

Sounding like a ego wounded sixteen year old that has read a few technical articles and decided to stir the pot a bit. Your utter predictional failure last time around (which was noted on the first page) doesn't seem to have convinced many that you don't really know anything of use here, especially when you are constantly cut off technically by others that have shown technical expertise in the past.

I await your summary all cap single sentence version of "he's wrong!"
  • Reply 206 of 296
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kwikfx

If communication has anything to do with IMPACT, or stirring response then Nr9 wins hands down.

Communication doesn't. Trolling, on the other hand, is all about stirring response. *cough*
  • Reply 207 of 296
    It's going to be interesting to see what we get at San Fran 05.

Powerbook G5 and 'Tiger'?

Antares Dual Core PowerMac running at 2.5/3 gig?

A credit card 'memory card' style iPod?

A new iBook?

Hmmm...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 208 of 296
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by snoopy

That may be sticking your neck out, unless you have inside information. There is some evidence that IBM has a dual core 970MP in the works.

I would be surprised if IBM releases it in 1H 2005. I expect there will be a speed bump during then though.
  • Reply 209 of 296
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

I would be surprised if IBM releases it in 1H 2005. I expect there will be a speed bump during then though.

Dig this. As I said if Antares doesn't get delayed(which it shouldn't since IBM has exprience with dual core CPU's), IBM plans to have them out and shipping in January. Just in time for the Pmac rev updates.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/antares.html
  • Reply 210 of 296
    nr9nr9 Posts: 182member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

Amazing what crops up when you are driving cross country.

Hmmm, I'm a member and don't know what you are referencing at all. Nothing of note comes up in the Portal either. Your fingers are currently caught in the cookie jar.

Sounding like a ego wounded sixteen year old that has read a few technical articles and decided to stir the pot a bit. Your utter predictional failure last time around (which was noted on the first page) doesn't seem to have convinced many that you don't really know anything of use here, especially when you are constantly cut off technically by others that have shown technical expertise in the past.

I await your summary all cap single sentence version of "he's wrong!"

of course information specific to the 970fx is only available in IBM. the thing i had last time wasn't a prediction, it was inside information. Turns out that the plans were changed. i was never technically wrong in any of these threads and the peole who argued with me were wrong. as you fail to see that, your probably just a 5 year old who pays forty bucks a month to get access to the ACM portal and also fail to take note of anything interesting in there. if you are in SIGARCH and haven't noticed the shift towards power consumption as a priority, the forty bucks you pay are probably not worth it. you should go home, sit down on the toilet and try to pipe as much shit out of your ass as you can. until then, don't add meaningless messages to a dicscussion
  • Reply 211 of 296
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nr9

of course information specific to the 970fx is only available in IBM. the thing i had last time wasn't a prediction, it was inside information. Turns out that the plans were changed. i was never technically wrong in any of these threads and the peole who argued with me were wrong. as you fail to see that, your probably just a 5 year old who pays forty bucks a month to get access to the ACM portal and also fail to take note of anything interesting in there. if you are in SIGARCH and haven't noticed the shift towards power consumption as a priority, the forty bucks you pay are probably not worth it. you should go home, sit down on the toilet and try to pipe as much shit out of your ass as you can. until then, don't add meaningless messages to a dicscussion

So you admit that you were wrong? Also, personal attacks are not welcome here.
  • Reply 212 of 296
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Try taking your own advice, Nr9.

a) You haven't any information that has been substantiated by the very sources you've suggested.

b) You've tried to hide behind 'well clear communication isn't needed anyway because I'm an engineer' (Sorry, not enough typos in there, I know, but bear with me.)

c) Your arguments have been... um... nonexistent.

d) You resort to personal attacks when called on a-c.

Yup, troll.
  • Reply 213 of 296
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Nr9,

If you do work at IBM, how much is Apple paying IBM for 970s and 970fx's?
  • Reply 214 of 296
    buccibucci Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tuttle

Nr9,

If you do work at IBM, how much is Apple paying IBM for 970s and 970fx's?

Most people who work at IBM do not have access to that kind of financial information. Not only that, but someone who is 19/20 years old and working at IBM is probably a co-op/intern at best. The chance that he/she would have any sort of inside knowledge is slim, and is probably limited to whatever was overheard at meetings. Regardless, that still could be "inside information", but chances are it's pretty volatile.
  • Reply 215 of 296
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

So you admit that you were wrong? Also, personal attacks are not welcome here.

since when did i do that
  • Reply 216 of 296
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    My, what a short memory you have:

Quote:

your probably just a 5 year old who pays forty bucks a month to get access to the ACM portal and also fail to take note of anything interesting in there. if you are in SIGARCH and haven't noticed the shift towards power consumption as a priority, the forty bucks you pay are probably not worth it. you should go home, sit down on the toilet and try to pipe as much shit out of your ass as you can. until then, don't add meaningless messages to a dicscussion

Not welcome. Stop it.
  • Reply 217 of 296
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

Programmer, have you ever considered becoming a teacher? If not, you should. Seriously.

Yes, but those that can do and those that can't, teach. Plus teacher's pay sucks.
  • Reply 218 of 296
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nr9

since when did i do that

This will be my last contribution to this thread.

Here is the exact words you said,

Quote:

of course information specific to the 970fx is only available in IBM. the thing i had last time wasn't a prediction, it was inside information. Turns out that the plans were changed. i was never technically wrong in any of these threads and the peole who argued with me were wrong.

Hmmm. sounds like you admitted you were wrong. But, then you took the easy way out and say plans changed. How has the plan changed on the 970fx? Hmmm, you have no proof. How do plans change anyway? Oh, have they changed their mind and said we can make the core go faster? I think they were already planning that. Then you say," I was never technically wrong in any of these threads and the people who argued with me were wrong." Yep, thats sounds like the cowards way out of being wrong. Hey, I should know. I did once. But, I fixed myself and just in time because I learned I was about to get temp. banned. You better do the same.

PS: Don't let you confuse this as a personal attack. I am not insulting you. But, I am insulting your false info and the way you ran away from it.

PSS: This thread should be locked!
  • Reply 219 of 296
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nr9

since when did i do that

You really like to do everything you can to derail discussion, don't you?

I also don't buy the "stuck at exactly 2.5 GHz" prediction. Its not impossible, but I'd be suprised if IBM has hit the wall quite that hard. They do have some more advanced process options which should make a bit of a difference.
  • Reply 220 of 296
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

This will be my last contribution to this thread.

Here is the exact words you said,

Hmmm. sounds like you admitted you were wrong. But, then you took the easy way out and say plans changed. How has the plan changed on the 970fx? Hmmm, you have no proof. How do plans change anyway? Oh, have they changed their mind and said we can make the core go faster? I think they were already planning that. Then you say," I was never technically wrong in any of these threads and the people who argued with me were wrong." Yep, thats sounds like the cowards way out of being wrong. Hey, I should know. I did once. But, I fixed myself and just in time because I learned I was about to get temp. banned. You better do the same.

PS: Don't let you confuse this as a personal attack. I am not insulting you. But, I am insulting your false info and the way you ran away from it.

PSS: This thread should be locked!

im referring to the powerbook g5 thing. the thing i had last time is not the thing i had this time. the 970fx thing is true.