Apple readies European iTunes expansion, Switzerland store

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple says it will deliver its iTunes music service to more European countries next month.

Corroborating several reports in recent months, Reuters is reporting today that Apple Computer is planning the next wave of expansion for its popular iTunes online music store with a multi-country European launch set for October.

Eddie Cue, Apple's vice president of applications told reporters that the launch would likely include more than five new countries in the next wave of stores. "It will cover a good portion of Western Europe," he said, but offered no further details.

Recent AppleInsider reports indicate that Apple is on the cusp of launching it's iTunes Music Store in the Netherlands, Poland, and Denmark.

Tipsters now say that the company is also preparing the launch of its iTunes service in Switzerland, with a report in the Swiss Newspaper 20 Minuten providing corroborating details.

Currently, Apple offers its iTunes service in the UK, France, Germany and the United States. The stores have combined to sell over 125 million music tracks to date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    I'm still waiting for a iTMS Canada announcement. You'd think if they can get Europe figured out that Canada wouldn't be that tough. Oh well.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    >>The stores have combined to sell over 125 music tracks to date.

i certainly hope they've sold more than 125 tracks
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by lkearl

I'm still waiting for a iTMS Canada announcement. You'd think if they can get Europe figured out that Canada wouldn't be that tough. Oh well.

I hope they can get Canada as well. Napster's had their Canada store out for a while, and I think it would be great if they can launch the Canada iTMS at the same time as the EU iTMS.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    iTMS POLAND !!!!!!!!!

• Reply 5 of 19
    What's next? iTMS Kazakhstan before there's an iTMS Canada?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Yeah dubya tee eff....

where's the Canada. Seriously.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ct77

What's next? iTMS Kazakhstan before there's an iTMS Canada?

There are more people living in Poland than in Canada
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

• Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Yeah, except Kazakhstan is not (in) Poland; they are two different countries.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Oh, its time for my standard line again...

When is iTunes Music Store coming to Canada?

Yep, the standard line will just be useful as it always is. More months without a store for the Mac. Pfff.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Hi!

I have a strong feeling that it´ll take time until iTMS will come to countries, where it is perfectly legal to download music from p2p like kazaa, poisoned etc. These countries include Norway, Finland, Canada and several others. For example in Finland it is legal to download music and movies from p2p but it is illegal to put something on distribution through p2p. What gives?

I think this is clear policy from Apple (or from the record labels).

My 2 cents.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bengt77

Yeah, except Kazakhstan is not (in) Poland; they are two different countries.

Did I say otherwise?

I was just pointing out that more people live in Poland than in Canada (and is a member of the EU), so perhaps that is one of the reasons as to why iTMS will appear in Poland before Canada.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    I just heard someone from BMG (or soon Sony BMG) say that iTunes Finland will launch before christmas, but the rest of scandinavia will have to wait because they do not have the euro currency..
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by dirkdiggler

I just heard someone from BMG (or soon Sony BMG) say that iTunes Finland will launch before christmas, but the rest of scandinavia will have to wait because they do not have the euro currency..

Sorry, but iTMS will be launched in Denmark this month.

Btw. most people don't see Finland as a part of Scandinavia (at least not people living IN Scandinavia, e.g. Denmark, Sweden and Norway) - Finland is a part of the Nordic Countries.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Btw. most people don't see Finland as a part of Scandinavia (at least not people living IN Scandinavia, e.g. Denmark, Sweden and Norway) - Finland is a part of the Nordic Countries.

Hej!

You're right, but the rest of the world have no idea about Nordic countries... they know only Scandinavia and Finland is included. The definition of Nordic<>Scandinavia seems to be an issue to everyone else except for those living outside Nordic/Scandinavia.

Somehow I'm a little sceptic about iTMS Finland, whatever sources close to BMG say.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Norway isn't Nordic?

• Reply 18 of 19
    gavrielgavriel Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Norway isn't Nordic?

Sure it is.

http://www.scandinavica.com/culture/society/nordic.htm
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Norway isn't Nordic?

It is - I was implying that Scandinavia + Finland (and Iceland) is the Nordic.