log out quits programs now in 10.3.5

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A while back I upgraded to OSX 10.3.5

ever since then when ever I log out all my running applications quit.

It never used to do that. I checked system preferences and fast user switching is checked.

What's up with that???

Mark

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    rara Posts: 623member
    Logout has always quit your apps since 10.0. I think what you want is to select "Login Window..." from the FUS menu. That will take you to the login prompt but leave you logged in.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Thanks for the reply RA, that does work. I must be crazy because I remember being able to log out somehow and keep apps open.

They should make a commercial out of those two bush quotes. That about says it all.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by mefull

Thanks for the reply RA, that does work. I must be crazy because I remember being able to log out somehow and keep apps open.

when you logout gui apps will quit

cmd line apps can be made to run as follows

under termimal

nohup foo&

that will make it run in the background & not quit

alternatively use screen

nohup has been part of unix since the 70's
  • Reply 4 of 5
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ra

Logout has always quit your apps since 10.0. I think what you want is to select "Login Window..." from the FUS menu. That will take you to the login prompt but leave you logged in.

What, pray tell, do you mean by the "FUS menu"?

I'm presuming this is some sort of ad hoc acronym for something like Finder->Users->System or whatever, but since I know that particular grasping-at-straws intrepretation doesn't match any OS X reality, I'm still at a loss for whatever you're trying to get at.