I got my G5 2.5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Sorry to post this out of the right topic but I thought it was worthy...I ordered my G5 about 5 weeks with the nVidia 6800. Apple offered me the switch out option for the 9600 ATI and I went with it. I did that last Thursday. I was then told that I would have to wait 2 weeks more for my G5 withe the 9600 and then I would get the 6800 in November. By the way I use two 23" displays...

Soooo...today just out of hunch I called my nearest Apple Store and guess what they had one canceled G5 2.5 with a 9600. I drove three hours to pick it up and its mine. I am posting this from the store as they install a GIG of ram in it. So what does this all mean to you. If you dont need to use the 30" and you are waiting for the 6800 to get your G5. Stop! Just call your Apple store...chances are they just might have one. I am still going to get my 6800 in November but I get to use my 2.5 now. Soo...just my little storry. I thought it might turn on some bulbs out there.

I wish you all luck and my goodness Apple can make a retial store!!!

Thank you all for the insight,

CGP

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nomad G5

Sorry to post this out of the right topic but I thought it was worthy...I ordered my G5 about 5 weeks with the nVidia 6800. Apple offered me the switch out option for the 9600 ATI and I went with it. I did that last Thursday. I was then told that I would have to wait 2 weeks more for my G5 withe the 9600 and then I would get the 6800 in November. By the way I use two 23" displays...

Soooo...today just out of hunch I called my nearest Apple Store and guess what they had one canceled G5 2.5 with a 9600. I drove three hours to pick it up and its mine. I am posting this from the store as they install a GIG of ram in it. So what does this all mean to you. If you dont need to use the 30" and you are waiting for the 6800 to get your G5. Stop! Just call your Apple store...chances are they just might have one. I am still going to get my 6800 in November but I get to use my 2.5 now. Soo...just my little storry. I thought it might turn on some bulbs out there.

CGP

Congratulations! Enjoy your new G5. I got an email from Apple today - my shipping date HAS slipped again (4th time now) to Oct 15th. This despite the phone call assuring me it wouldn't slip again.

Ah well. I can't wait for it to finally arrive!!

\
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nomad G5

CGP

Just got mine today - this thing flies!! More to follow once I pick up my jaw...

• Reply 3 of 9
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Got mine today too (this is my first post from the new machine!).

Super quiet, fast. lovely.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    HELLO, I received my g5 with 6800...last week...but it seems the fans blow quiet a bit and with temp monitor it seems to hit 180f as a high on the cpu and b temp...is this normal??? it seems very high....please respond with any info...thanks...
  • Reply 5 of 9
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Seems fine on my 2.5.

I'm folding 24/4 and my cpu reads 81¼C/177.8¼F.

Because my processors are running 100% all the time, my fans come on momentarily, usually when I'm scrolling in a web page.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    OK, so that is normal...cool....it seems that it is just the nvidia card that fans up... I havent had a new mac since the first g4 ...so fans blowing hard are new to me...wasnt sure what the norm is...thanks for the response...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

Seems fine on my 2.5.

I'm folding 24/4 and my cpu reads 81¼C/177.8¼F.

Because my processors are running 100% all the time, my fans come on momentarily, usually when I'm scrolling in a web page.

happens to me too. i actually think the super-loud fan is the very top one in front of the hard drives. take the side panel off while you scroll through web pages and see what fan it is that kicks up.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    bully for you Nomad, here, i will send you my home address by pm so you can send it to me

ok ok, i am just jealous hehe

and good for you btw, what's the main program you are going to use on that machine?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I am switching from PC. I will be using my mac to cure my microsoft insanity and run Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and Quark Express. I use it on a dual 23" aluminum displays. Working is a pleasure now.

Thanks for all the posts,

CGP