Will Microsoft's IntelliMouse Explorer for Bluetooth work with a Mac?

saksak
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone know if Microsoft's new IntelliMouse Explorer for "Bluetooth" will work with the Mac? It doesn't show support for it on the website (or box) but I figure Bluetooth is Bluetooth right?

http://www.microsoft.com/products/in...205c9&type=ovr

I would like a multi button Bluetooth mouse.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    from what i understand it should

but i wouldnt waste your time on that. i would go for the logitech bluetooth. best mouse out there. mx900 i think? the mx700 wireless is amazing and its that mouse just with bluetooth instead
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I have been using a Microsoft bluetooth mouse with my Bluetooth enabled G5 tower for 6 Months. Although there isn't any written compatability statement anywhere to be found, it works quite well. All functions work, even though the mouse won't PAIR.

Last month, Microsoft intoduced Intellipoint 5.1, which finally allowed the mouse to PAIR.

You can download Intellipoint 5.1 here.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
  • Reply 3 of 17
    saksak Posts: 39member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aircft.sys.spec.

I have been using a Microsoft bluetooth mouse with my Bluetooth enabled G5 tower for 6 Months. Although there isn't any written compatability statement anywhere to be found, it works quite well. All functions work, even though the mouse won't PAIR.

Last month, Microsoft intoduced Intellipoint 5.1, which finally allowed the mouse to PAIR.

You can download Intellipoint 5.1 here.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Have you used Apples Bluetooth mouse? If it had a second button I would go with it. Does the Microsoft mouse feel bulky? The Apple mouse is so streamlined.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    I like the Apple Wireless mouse, the look and feel. The Microsoft mouse does feel big and bulky, but I like the ability to scroll at the mouse. The right click, really, only comes in handy for gaming, otherwise I don't think I'd miss it all.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    Okay, I just picked up microsoft bluetooth mouse for my powerbook. I followed the above link to download updated intellipoint 5.1. I still can't get the mouse to pair and would also like to use the two thumb buttons but can't find where to program them and they don't work. The two thumb buttons don't show up in the microsoft system preference pane. Help!
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Use the bluetooth set-up assistant first, THEN you can play with the Microsoft stuff.

Also, you must be sure that your mouse isn't too close to your computer's transmitter while you pair it with the OS. Two computers using wireless networking (Wi-Fi/802.11a/g) too close together can create problems, too.

Last question. Are you using Panther (10.3.x)?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    dorndorn Posts: 28member
    --edit --

twitchy finger

--------

So,

ive tried using this with a number of macs but got frustrated at the small lag whenever moving the mouse initially (when the mouse/keyboard is coming out of bt sleep). When i use the Apple versions or others i have around this doesnt exist.

I like the responsiveness of the Apple set but am not a fan of 1-button mice. Does using the new ms intellistuff help at all?

Btw, used the ms mouse on macs since 10.2.4 and on.

Dorn
  • Reply 8 of 17
    I would say it doesn't help. I've downloaded intellipoint 5.1 and still can't get mouse to pair with computer(powerbook). And still can't configure the thumb buttons. I may be doing something wrong, but have no idea what. That little initial lag I experience as well. I think it's just the two units syncing/talking to each other because I also get a icon in the middle of the screen(like when adjusting volume/screen birghtness) of a mouse that says lost connection, but it goes away and mouse works after split second or two.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    I don't know what to say. The MS Bluetooth Mouse pairs and works fawlessly with my G5 tower, no hesitation. I hope your not using both the MS USB Bluetooth adapter and the internal Apple bluetooth module at the same time, that would be bad. Two Bluetooth tranmitters fight for one mouse.

I wonder who would win?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Ah, I meant to put the "S" in transmitters.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Thanks for responses. Maybe I need to uninstall and reinstall microsoft software after turning off and turning back on bluetooth? I dont' have more than one computer too close and I am running latest edition of 10.3.x And I am not using the little adapter that came with the mouse. Aircft, can you get the two thumb buttons to work or find where to program them? The system preference pane that pops up doesn't even have a spot to program them, it only shows the two main buttons and scroll wheel.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    GRRR! Anyone know if there is a way around passkey portion of bluetooth assistant setup? I can get the assistant to go through all the steps and recognize the mouse, but get to the passkey/pairing portion and the computer just keeps on going and going with the little round circle trying to recognize it. I let it work for half and hour. It says in microsoft instruction book to disable passkey, or not to use it. Anyone know of a way to disable this? I can't seem to find one. Very close to sending mouse back.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    jidojido Posts: 125member
    Did you select "Mouse" as device in the Bluetooth Assistant? I don't think you can disable the passkey with "Other device".
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Thanks for the tip. I did try selecting Mouse and other device. Neither worked. I get to the point where the computer is telling me it's working on pairing with the mouse, and just get the little spinning grey thing. I even left the computer on over night with that goin(turn off sleep) and it didn't work. I left it in the 'working' mode and monitored for over a half hour at one point. So the mouse is going back and from some research I read on the Internet, it sounds like the Logitech MX-900 mouse will work better, even if not supported. Thanks to all who chipped in suggestions again.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    How many buttons do you really need? If you're looking for a simple Bluetooth mouse solution, consider the MacAlly BTMouseJr or the MacMice "The Mouse BT" which closely resembles the Apple mouse. Both have 2 buttons, a wheel, and a wheel button, are cheap-ish (~$50) and work fine right out of the box. I hate to see aggravation where none is necessary.

If you're desparate for more buttons and Intellipoint is a bust, you might want to try using GamePad Companion pref panel. Bluetooth devices are HIDs as far as I know, and should be configurable with any HID configuration utility.

Good luck.

-K
  • Reply 16 of 17
    I know it sounds like I'm being picky, I guess I am being picky. I was actually looking for the 'back' button under the thumb for web browsing. I know, there are plenty of others out there. I will probably end up with one of the ones menitoned. Although I really really really wish the Logitech MX-900 had apple drivers, that one fits perfectly in my hand. Anyway, thanks for the responses all.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Another Bluetooth mouse, that everyone forgets about is this........

http://www.bluetake.com/products/BT500.htm

And it is Macintosh compatible