new iBook?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was wondering if anybody new of any new iBook models that are coming out in the near future. I am planning on buying an iBook and i dont want to buy one and then the next month have a new one come out!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I think you should read some of the other threads relative to Powerbooks. It will give you a better idea of when to expect a new iBook.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I did read them and they mostly talk about the powerbooks. I am to cheap for a powerbook!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    MacRumors.com has a pretty good buyer's guide. Check it here.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Well I certainly hope a revised one is in the cards this month. Although I'd be willing to wait til MWNY if a new form factor (13 inch widescreen) is forthcoming.

Otherwise, the current design with a speed bump and new video card would be nice. I'm really feeling tied to the desk lately with my iMac G4...some of the refurbished iBooks on Apple's site is very tempting, but will wait a tad longer.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    gab-xgab-x Posts: 3member
    Last year iBooks were introduced 10.22.2003. That should give us an idea about when in this month could be introduced.

• Reply 6 of 12
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardrock

I was wondering if anybody new of any new iBook models that are coming out in the near future. I am planning on buying an iBook and i dont want to buy one and then the next month have a new one come out!

I'm in the market for an iBook as well, so I understand where you are coming from on this one.

The current iBook is quite attractive, so it wouldn't exactly be a bad purchase, but if you can hold off for 2-3 weeks, I think there's a pretty good chance we'll see a refresh within that timeframe.

Even then, it's most likely going to be limited to minor bumps, i.e. slightly faster CPU, slightly better video card, and perhaps airport extreme will be standard (the last one in particular would be the nicest change if the pricepoint is maintained).

Of course, this time last year everyone was speculating about slightly faster G3s, and the iBook got bumped to G4, went from CD-RW only to having DVD/CD-RW drive and other tweaks, so we might see something more significant than expected.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    since beginning of september I am thinking of buying a new apple laptop, preferably an iBook. had one before and it was just fine. lightweigth, small and sturdy!

but after checking the buyers-guide on macrumors.com I decided to wait. especially because of the lack of tiger (coreimage) support in the current iBook line.

today I talked to a apple dealer in the sf bay area and he also recommended to wait if I can. He thinks there is a 75% chance of an update in oktober, and is quite sure there will be one at least before christmas. Still this is pure speculation but I certainly hope he is right!

my guess/hope is that the update will be at 19. of october. thats right after apples quarterly financial report and the first day of the educause fair (http://www.apple.com/education/educause/).

don't think that there will be a new formfactor, since I believe that will happen only after the powerbook went g5. but hopefully they bump the processor-speed and graphics. and airport extreme would be cool too.

Just for the record: i.m.h.o. a really new iBook should be radically different. colored alu along the mini ipod design would be cool. and using that one-inch hardrives from the ipod instead of the 2.5 standard notebook hds would also be way cool. could make for a real small and thin enclosure.

maybe next may...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    The October update timeframe generally makes financial sense too (specifically for iBooks). Allows Apple to clear out inventories of the current/old model during the back to school season, then they release the new model once said inventories are depleted.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wintermute

...Just for the record: i.m.h.o. a really new iBook should be radically different. colored alu along the mini ipod design would be cool. and using that one-inch hardrives from the ipod instead of the 2.5 standard notebook hds would also be way cool. could make for a real small and thin enclosure.

Since the new iMac has the white crystal look, I suspect iBooks will too for awhile yet. I'd like for Apple to go back to similar textures and surfaces like the original iBooks. They seemed more rugged.

I've gotten the impression that the disks in iPods are not suitable for heavy use such as in a computer. I think they should stick with standard notebook drives that are bigger and faster (and less delicate).
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

Since the new iMac has the white crystal look, I suspect iBooks will too for awhile yet. I'd like for Apple to go back to similar textures and surfaces like the original iBooks. They seemed more rugged.

I've gotten the impression that the disks in iPods are not suitable for heavy use such as in a computer. I think they should stick with standard notebook drives that are bigger and faster (and less delicate).

It's also worth mentioning that smaller = more expensive when it comes to hard drives, so if the smaller form factor HD isn't necessary to the design, it's unlikely that the smaller version will end up on your BOM (bill of materials).

On a related note, I finally had the opportunity to check out the iPod Mini at our campus computer store, couldn't believe how bloody tiny the thing is. Wow!
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I think, that will we get new iBooks during the this month.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    My local Apple dealer has cleared out their iBook range. All gone now. Only Powerbooks and the desktop range.

Curious.