Last iMac thread, sorry...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Roughly two days before my PC closes on eBay... the day of enlightenment is nearing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT

I'm sure more people have/used their new iMacs since ~2 weeks ago... I'm shooting for the 20" iMac with a gig of Ram.

If you have one, I'd love to know how you feel about it. Any regrets? Any concerns? Etc...

Thanks!

:c

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I just bought a 20" iMac this morning (at the Honolulu store.) Set it up in the hotel room ... so far, no problems. I added 2x512 ram from CompUSA 'cause the AppleStore didn't have any.

The screen is great (i'm used to a 800x600 iBook or origional G3 iMac @ 1024x768.)

The mouse sucks ... it's missing a button

I've been watching a DVD and surfing for the last hour or so and while it's a little warm around the exhaust slot, the rest of the back is barely above room temperature. ... maybe it'll get warmer after the CPU has been rendering video for 30 minutes, but maybe not... that'll have to wait 'till I get it home.

What else did you want to know ?

Oh well .... gotta go watch the Blues go through thier paces this weekend ... so no more playing wih the new toy for a couple days.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I'm digging my new 20" iMac. I have it outfitted with 2GB RAM but everything else is stock. I'm totally digging this machine.

It deals fine with everything I throw at it. This includes Final Cut Express, Quake III: Arena, Nanosaur 2, XCode / Interface Builder, Dreamweaver (though you couldn't tell from my current crappy site ) and more. The iMac handles everything great (which it should).

My main reason for getting the iMac was the huge LCD display, increased buss speed and small footprint / form factor. The iMac fits my needs in these areas quite well. The wide aspect screen makes it great for coding and design since I can have a window of code and an API window open at the same time side by side without them overlapping at all.

At this point my only regret is my PowerBook is getting neglected at this point. I only use my PowerBook when I can't get my wife off my new iMac! Funny, before I got the iMac she hated using the computer. Now I keep finding her plugging along on it. If this keeps up I'm going to start charging her by the hour.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    LOL!

Nice to hear; especially about final cut express which in terms of 'ram/cpu intensity' should equate to high-res photoshoping, indesign, illustrator, and dreamweaver.

I still haven't sold my PC yet but a few invoice-checks should come through this week; hopefully soon.......

until then, only sad faces.

• Reply 4 of 4
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubedcompanies

LOL!

Nice to hear; especially about final cut express which in terms of 'ram/cpu intensity' should equate to high-res photoshoping, indesign, illustrator, and dreamweaver.

I still haven't sold my PC yet but a few invoice-checks should come through this week; hopefully soon.......

until then, only sad faces.

For me, the slowest part of Dreamweaver is it connecting up to online locations. Otherwise Dreamweaver is instantaneous in its response. Of course I haven't done anything like PHP/ASP/JSP or data driven sites (dynamic) so I'm probably not pushing the program at all but it works great for me. Now if it only had a fashion accident repair button I'd be all set ... 8)

I've played around a bit in Photoshop working with 6.3 megapixel RAW files from my Canon Digital Rebel and all of the photo manipulating filters (sharpen, unsharp mask, gaussian blur) I use all render final effects in < 1 second. Preview is instant and the whole image gets affected, not just some little preview rectangle.

My biggest enjoyment is working with the large LCD display. Along with the speedy system behind it makes working fun.