Myst IV: Revelation

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Wow. They've come a long ways from the first in the series.

Anyone seen this yet?

http://www.mystrevelation.com

Here's an article on it from CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/fun.gam...yst/index.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    As soon as I finally freaking graduate, I'm going to sit down with Myst 2-IV and go nuts.

Myst 1 was the best 24 hrs I ever spent at my computer.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I can tell you it is brilliant
  • Reply 3 of 15
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I was never able to get the MystIV demo to launch on my G5. Normally I'd run out and buy a Myst game, but the dead demo doesn't quite instill confidence.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Yeah, same here.

And oddly, no Console.log messages.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Yeah, same here.

And oddly, no Console.log messages.

Same thing here. This is what I did: don't unzip the demo with the built-in Unarchive feature in Panther, use Stuffit.

I dragged the ZIP file to my desktop, unstuffed it with Expander, and it ran properly right form the desktop.

It looks like the demo is for PC and Mac and perhaps some of the app information is scrambled when you unzip with Apple's built-in version.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Wait, wait, wait....

*STUFFIT* unzipped it properly when Apple's unzip couldn't?!?

Did Satan just strap on ice skates or something???
  • Reply 7 of 15
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Myst 1 was the best 24 hrs I ever spent at my computer.

It took months to beat Myst 1, mostly because I was always expecting some alien or critter to jump out every time I clicked the mouse. I cheated on Myst 1 and regret it tremendously; I haven't cheated or had help on any other Myst game.

I beat Myst 3 in 18 hours, I never did beat Myst 2, and hope to buy Myst 4 soon when I have the $$$.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    After spending about 4 hrs beating my head against the desk over that stupid switches and wooden gears puzzle, I finally gave in and wrote a Prolog program to solve it for me.

It may be cheating, but it was geeky enough to make me not care.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    From Ubisoft: *Supported video cards at time of release:

ATI® Radeon? 7500 to 9600 or better

NVIDIA® GeForce? 2/4/FX families

Laptop models of these cards not fully supported. These chipsets are the only ones that will run this game. Additional chipsets may be supported after release.

Is this just a typical disclaimer or does having a laptop actually interfere with compatibility?

Anyone try the demo on a PB or ib?

--B
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Picked it up about a week ago and it works fine on my 1Ghz iMac 2.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jabohn

Same thing here. This is what I did: don't unzip the demo with the built-in Unarchive feature in Panther, use Stuffit.

I dragged the ZIP file to my desktop, unstuffed it with Expander, and it ran properly right form the desktop.

Yeap. Tried that. Also tried relocating the app to different HD locations. Perhaps its my 9800 Pro... although its over a year old so I'd hope it'd be supported.

*sigh* I guess I'll give it another go when I get home tonight.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Is this just a typical disclaimer or does having a laptop actually interfere with compatibility?

Anyone try the demo on a PB or ib?

Ahhhhhh, that may be my problem.

Bummer.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    My 17" PowerBook 1st Gen played the demo, except for the flashback videos that just looked like static.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Sadly, videocards for portables are not fully supported in Myst IV.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    I'm playing MystIV on an "unsupported" G3 800 Ibook, but only just. The main problem seems to be a compatablity issue with the ATI 7--- series graphics cards (of which my Ibook has the unsupported mobile 7500 version)which is affecting both PC's & Macs with those cards. Ubisoft is apparently working on a fix but there is a hack on one of the Myst forums which I have applied (involes editing a ares_config file)which has improved the 3D rendering from lots of block colour artifacts (which in some places made it imposible to see anything - particulaly dark or contrasty areas)to slight colour shifts from all but the most trouble-some areas, but not enough to impede my progress so far.

Yes it plays a bit slow, and always crashes when quitting (and once so far during the game), so all in all not ideal but will get me by until my next upgrade. I read the blurb, knew the risk, and took a chance, so I have no complaints.

S Witty