Quote:

Originally posted by M.O.S.T

Overall 7.8 (out of 10) 7.8 is "good"

Link?
  • Reply 2 of 19
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
  • Reply 3 of 19
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member
    I popped into my local reseller today and they finally had iMac G5s in. They had both 17 and 20" inch models. I liked the design in pictures, but it's just as nice, if not better in person.

The footprint is marvelously small, the case is clean and smooth. Very nice. One thing i was surprised by was how big the 20" version is. Shedloads of screenspace!

Really want one of these bad boys
  • Reply 4 of 19
    that cnet article upset me when it showed the Quake III benchmarks. the iMac G4 gets ~2fps faster than the new G5!!! wtf is that?

:c
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Typical Cnet... still whinging about 'lack of two button mouse' in the "bad" column.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    And it's still a valid argument.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    dinodino Posts: 34member
    Yeah, it is a valid argument, I guess. The score seems too low though. They seem to be comparing the iMac to machines which cater to a different type of people. The iMac is supposed to be a machine which you just plug and forget about it. I don't trust these guys on reviews anyway.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dino

Yeah, it is a valid argument, I guess. The score seems too low though. They seem to be comparing the iMac to machines which cater to a different type of people. The iMac is supposed to be a machine which you just plug and forget about it. I don't trust these guys on reviews anyway.

why has a 1300-2000 dollar computer been reduced to that?

the iMac is a lot more and as a result fails in some areas.

RAM, graphics and wireless should be improved as in (512MB), better graphics and standard wireless. (at least on the 20 inch models)
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

why has a 1300-2000 dollar computer been reduced to that?

the iMac is a lot more and as a result fails in some areas.

RAM, graphics and wireless should be improved as in (512MB), better graphics and standard wireless. (at least on the 20 inch models)

while i agree they should offer a 20" model with standard wifi and better g.card, etc...

i just don't think it was financially possible without upping the price significantly (which i would have paid for ESPECIALLY the g.card). you must remember, people like Dell and such can offer a variety b/c they assemble INTERNALS.

Apple's spends millions and R&D and engineering.

• Reply 10 of 19
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    The iMac is ugly as sin, imho, but Apple has a great price point for it, Everyone wants to compare it to Dell, this is like apples and oranges, Dell buys the puzzle and puts it together for you, Apple makes the puzzle and puts it together for you.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

The iMac is ugly as sin, imho, but Apple has a great price point for it, Everyone wants to compare it to Dell, this is like apples and oranges, Dell buys the puzzle and puts it together for you, Apple makes the puzzle and puts it together for you.

Yes but Dell responds so quickly that it is just sick.

Apple finally has these shipping in good quantity and based off your comment I go to Dell.com and take a peak.

Dell's just upgraded EVERYTHING to free flat panels. The full range of desktops!!

They range in size like Apple does and they are willing to start at 15 inches, sort of what people have been speculating Apple might do with the eMac.

But as usual, it is the price point that is the killer.

Dell is shipping FULL systems with 15 inch LCD's for under $500.

I look at the $1000 price point which is still a full 33% below what Apple is selling the iMac. I think about all the "headless" Mac folks who are begging for a solution that is not all in one for under two grand.

Dell is offering the Dimension 8400.

It comes with a 17 LCD

3 ghz Pentium IV

128 meg PCIe ATIX300SE

512 megs dual channel DDR2 SDRAM

160 meg serial ATA drive

DVD-drive

to upgrade it to a 16x dual layer DVD+-R drive is $90 which still puts it will below the iMac.

Sure it's got the tower that goes under the desk, but this thing KILLS the iMac in specs.

What the hell is Apple going to do?

Nick
  • Reply 12 of 19
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Sure it's got the tower that goes under the desk, but this thing KILLS the iMac in specs. What the hell is Apple going to do?

Nothing of course Nick. The iMac appeals to people who "want" a Mac. While Dell is great for working out computers that look great on paper we all know the inverse is true for Apple. They don't look hot on paper but using them and seeing them in person is another story.

Also I'm beginning to hate LCD comparisons. Dell's "free" LCD upgrade is to their analog LCDs. I've seen these and they are not that good looking. To me most analog LCDs are inferior to CRT technology. If you doubt that ask any graphic Pro or anyone monitoring video. The iMac G5 has the best LCD technology Apple can put in at the price point. If people don't like it fine...the iMac G5 is selling like hotcakes for now.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Nothing of course Nick. The iMac appeals to people who "want" a Mac. While Dell is great for working out computers that look great on paper we all know the inverse is true for Apple. They don't look hot on paper but using them and seeing them in person is another story.

Also I'm beginning to hate LCD comparisons. Dell's "free" LCD upgrade is to their analog LCDs. I've seen these and they are not that good looking. To me most analog LCDs are inferior to CRT technology. If you doubt that ask any graphic Pro or anyone monitoring video. The iMac G5 has the best LCD technology Apple can put in at the price point. If people don't like it fine...the iMac G5 is selling like hotcakes for now.

Well help me understand that better hmurchison. Especially since you are talking to a guy who owns an Apple 17in LCD and has a wife hankering for an LCD herself for her sawtooth.

Nick
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Ironically, with that same Dell computer -- in 2 months in the hands of an average web browser it will be bogged to teh ground by spyware and other misc. 3rd party crap.

And just b/c it's fast and efficeint, doesn't mean programs will operate the same.

Windows programming is like free-verse poetry.

• Reply 15 of 19
    g2gg2g Posts: 39member
    Is Dell worth the money ..to me no ....I think they should have given the option to upgrade the gpu .....6800 or 9800...and 512 of ram...bluetooth etc...imho
  • Reply 16 of 19
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Well help me understand that better hmurchison. Especially since you are talking to a guy who owns an Apple 17in LCD and has a wife hankering for an LCD herself for her sawtooth.

Nick

The key part that I think you're missing is that he said "analog". Your LCD is digital.

Big difference.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryukyu

The key part that I think you're missing is that he said "analog". Your LCD is digital.

Big difference.

I didn't miss it. The Dell site says that these use DVI which is digital from what I always understood. It also says their contrast ratio is 500:1 and their response time is 13 ms.

From what I understood, those are all great. So I need further explanation.

Nick

Edit: Saw that value panel option which is only analog VGA... my bad...

Exactly how much sharpness is lost via VGA?
  • Reply 18 of 19
    To my knowledge not much sharpness is lost via VGA, but it depends on the panel.

A DVI delivers a clearer signal and a faster refresh rate than a VGA, since a VGA converts analog to digital where there can be some loss. Nothing beats a CRT though in my opinion.