Christopher Reeve dead?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
www.drudgereport.com

please say it ain't so.

edit: confirmed by CNN. died in a coma after going into cardiac arrest in his home in NY

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    All the news outlets are relaying the news now.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Just hear this new on the radio.

I had a lot of respect for this man, and his fighting spirit. He gave to us a lesson of life.

RIP
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Good actor, great human being. You'll be missed.

So long Superman.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    At least I wont have to watch the Scott Peterson trial on the news so much now.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I don't know about his acting abilities, but what is certain is that he was a catalyst in starting a new wave of paralysis research. He did a lot in life.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    123123 Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I don't know about his acting abilities, but what is certain is that he was a catalyst in starting a new wave of paralysis research. He did a lot in life.

what would you do if you had millions to spend and an incurable disease?
  • Reply 8 of 23
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Really sad. But what an inspiration he was! Also what and actor. As Harry on Ain't it Cool News says " he owned Superman ". I can't rememeber a part I've seen him in that I didn't like. RIP.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    i saw this this morning...put my sad face on....
  • Reply 10 of 23
    If you want a sense of his range as an actor, one of my favourite Reeve films was Sidney Lumet's interpretation of the Ira Levin Play, DeathTrap with Michael Caine. Great suspense and twists.

I've heard his work in the remade Rear Window was excellent, but haven't seen it.

If his red cape and boots were your sole impressions of this generation's Superman, it'll always be his role, but I think his cameo's in TV's latest retelling of the tale, Smallville, will tie him to the Kal-el mythos for a new generation of fans.

And while I don't really want to get too political (save that for PO)...

I would expect that any future questions on stem cells in the Presidential race will find Kerry gets a much more sympathetic audience.

CNN's Obituary includes the following quote:

Quote:

Reeve himself was vocal on the subject. In 2001, while President Bush considered a decision on stem cell research -- he eventually allowed federal funding of research using existing stem cell lines -- Reeve spoke to CNN's John King about the impact of delaying study.

"That would be a big mistake because you could spend the next five years doing research on the adult stem cells and find that they are not capable of doing what we know that embryonic cells can do now," he said. "And five years of unnecessary research to try to create something that we already have would cause -- well, a lot of people are going to die while we wait."

Some might consider it gauche or insensitive to 'capitalize' or 'leverage' this issue, but if Reeve's widow finds that Chris specifically asked for his message to get airtime in order to help others (much like Yul Brynner's posthumous anti-smoking ads ran film of him explicitly blaming his cancer and death on smoking) or his will reveals Reeve left instructions and similar film to make his personal campaign into a larger/continuing campaign issue...

It would sure be hard to argue with a commercial of that CNN interview followed by a note that three years later, this hero was gone.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i thought this was a great, tasteful image drawn by pvponline's scott kurtz...

• Reply 12 of 23
    That's very cool.

*wipes tear*
  • Reply 13 of 23
    PBS's News Hour with Jim Lehrer is running segments on the campaign, stem cell research, and Christopher Reeve's life and work back to back.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    What a terrible way to die--he essentially died from a bed sore.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 123

what would you do if you had millions to spend and an incurable disease?

Okay, I was trying to keep it civilized in here, and then you came in.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

At least I wont have to watch the Scott Peterson trial on the news so much now.

You revealed your true identity, Mr. Cable-Newscast Watcher of the Fox Variety. Having purused the offerings of cable television, other than the obvious, Fox News offers so much more of the irrelevent S Peterson trial than any other cable station. So much so -- it was as if I was choosing whether to be bored to tears with their inept political or inept trial analysis.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Actually I haven't because I don't watch that news that much.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Death trap, was a great movie. The acting was great, especially Michael Caine.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Yea Deathtrap was good.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Some might consider it gauche or insensitive to 'capitalize' or 'leverage' this issue....

On the contrary, from the interviews I've seen with him in recent years where he's talked about stem cell research and the degree of passion he's displayed for the subject, I tend to think he'd be delighted if people were to use his death to capitalize or leverage the issue.

Mourning is, after all, an indulgence of the living not the dead.