CherryOS -- Just another emmulator for windows?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I had just noticed an article on Slashdot

After having watched the video footage, I am wondering just what impact this would have on MacOS. I have only one thing to hope for at this time: the failure of that project just like all of its predecessors.

There are some videos on the cherryos website to see what im talking about.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    I don't think it will have much of an impact on Apple. The Mac users that I know (no, I am not officially a mac user myself) like the way that their computer looks. They would be loosing that aspect and although CherryOS is a functional equivalent, the generic appearance of the PC just does not provide the same experience.

On a related note, check out http://pearpc.sourceforge.net It is another virtual G5 system that runs Mac OSX. Also take a look at http://www.hackaday.com/entry/4733053428552506/ where some one else has gotten their X-box to run mac applications by using PearPC.

In the end I can't see it having a harmful affect on apple though.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    ic1maleic1male Posts: 121member
    In my experience, using Panther on PearPC made me WANT to switch. I enjoyed getting a feel for the OS so much that I just ordered myself a PowerMac.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    The thing that made me fall in love with apple was how I don`t have to worry about having to reinstall the system once a year due to all the garbage windows builds up. The reason I went away from linux is for the fact that you have to spend time learning about everything you use which I don`t have time for.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    I'll be getting CherryOS (as soon as the traffic on the site dies down enough for me to get in) for development.

In the past the organization for which I worked would only support PC's. Now that we have virtual PC and can run multiple PC operating systems, some linux support has been added. Hopefully with CherryOS we can easily provide mac support without the expense of getting macs for all of the developers.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by b0xeruss

I have only one thing to hope for at this time: the failure of that project just like all of its predecessors.

Do you mind me asking why you want it to fail?
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcedes

Do you mind me asking why you want it to fail?

Interesting......
  • Reply 7 of 18
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    I can imagine being mocked when I pay to update to the new version of Final Cut Express and all my PC using friends are using stolen FC Pro instead. To top it off, they run it on a pirate copy of Tiger months before release.

Seriously, though, when everyone laughed off Transitive's announcement as impossible, why does everyone think some guy on Maui can make such a breakthrough in emulation performance? He was tired of lugging around both a Mac and PC, so he decided to whip this together one afternoon. Sorry, I need to see more before I believe this one.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Remember this: More BS from Maui ?

I haven't heard anymore about "Shareware". Strange coincidence this is also from Maui, no?
  • Reply 9 of 18
    A few holes are starting to appear in the story. From this Apple-X interview with the developer..

Quote:

Me (Apple-X): "I've noticed numerous claims of 80% the speed of the physical CPU while emulating the PowerPC architecture..."

Kryeziu: "Well that 80% could be anything, it could be the RAM, the processor bus--"

Me: "I guess my question is, sir, what sort of real Mac hardware could you compare the emulated hardware to in terms of performance? Now I understand that clock speed isn't a scientific way of determining performance, but could you give me a rough guess? Let's say you had a 3 GHz Pentium 4, well, would CherryOS yield a speed equivalent to, say, a 500 MHz G3? More, less?

Kryeziu: "Like you just said, we've tried a 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 computer, and about equal to that is a 1.2 GHz G4, and then 80% of that would be around 900 MHz."

Me: "So, to clarify, using CherryOS on a 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 would be like using a 900 MHz G4?"

Kryeziu: "Yes."

From the CherryOS PDF ...

Quote:

CherryOS has been tuned for performance. You can expect to get about 80% of your processors power when working in the Apple Environment. For example a 1ghz PIII would run about the same as a 800mhz G3 machine.

• Reply 10 of 18
    hhoganhhogan Posts: 117member
    first quote mentions a G4, 2nd mentions a G3.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    But its the way they are figuring the 80% that differs. In one its 80% of the Pentium. In the other its 80% of the G4.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Scaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmm...

I'll bet 5:1 odds that if there actually is a product that they send out, that it's a copy of PearPC in violation of the license, wrapped in a Windows installer.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    lemonlemon Posts: 29member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Scaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmm...

I'll bet 5:1 odds that if there actually is a product that they send out, that it's a copy of PearPC in violation of the license, wrapped in a Windows installer.

$50 * 200 = a nice little scam with very little work.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Hmmm Simpson reference... one more hint to the worst cover up of a scam ever?

This is from the Virtual Springfield FAQ, the old CD-ROM Simpsons game that ran on Macs and Wintels.

http://www.wetware.demon.co.uk/simpsons/vsguide.txt

2.8 CHERRY OS AND SOL

The computer in Principal Skinner's office is, as you may all have

noticed, a reference to the Macintosh class of computers. Instead

of an apple, the Computer Art Director of this game decided to put

a cherry as a logo and also creating a desktop similar to that of

a Mac. Some icons were also created for the faux OS, but

unfortunately, they can't be seen because of the SOL window

covering it. And, as we all know, SOL is a parody of the widely

used online service.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Someone reports actually downloading it.

Cult of Mac
  • Reply 16 of 18
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl...&tid=179&tid=3

Yup, just PearPC stolen and wrapped in an installer.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Got to give it away for the guy that can "stick with his lie" to the very end! I hear he is still denying the PearPC alligations- citing that the similarities in variables in the code, even the more eclectic labels, are merely coincidence? I mean, who in their right mind would actually think they could get away with this with not one person blowing the whistle? It's just bizarre!
  • Reply 18 of 18
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Including the variable in PearPC, SPIRO MULTIMAX 3000.