Did anyone notice

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
the article on Macnn about steve jobs promising something 'revolutionary'?

you think he's referring to the next iMac?

I certainly Hope not, because unless it can be a digital hub,gaming station,graphics station, very very very intuitive deisgn and relativley cheap, its not revolutionary. the iMac WAS pretty revolutionary in its day, but then again it was basically just a remake of the performa or some other all in one, its just that people had forgotten that all in one computers had existed before.

I do hope that what jobs' was refering too is some sort of uber digital appliance, that really is a totally fresh idea and is executed right...etc.

but knowing apple i'm pretty sure it will just be a new iMac.

on another note I hope that the new iMac isn't THAT great because I really want pci expansion but I love the iMac so much that if a new one came out I might be suckered in again

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    remember, not too long ago, a scooter was revolutionary.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    The all in one form factor had ended with the Color Classic (and TAM, I suppose) in the consumer market. After that the AIO models were education only.

All the Performas I knew of were box and monitor jobs.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    When does something *stop* being revolutionary?
  • Reply 4 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by userone:

<strong>When does something *stop* being revolutionary?</strong><hr></blockquote>

When everyone realizes that it was just hype, and that there wasn't really anything special about it.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    pookjppookjp Posts: 280member
    [quote] When everyone realizes that it was just hype, and that there wasn't really anything special about it. <hr></blockquote>

Then the Segway most certainly is revolutionary. There are quite a few things genuinely special about it.

In fact, I don't like that definition at all. For something to be revolutionary, all it has to have is something special? In what sense? Are those pens with a little light in the tip revolutionary, just because they are more special than the average pen?

- Pook
  • Reply 6 of 20
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Speaking of the Segway? Did anyone hear about its startup logo? It's very similar to the Mac OS logo. Could the Segway be running some special version of X? It's supposed to be as powerful as four computers. Sounds like it might have one G5 to me. Yeah, I know I'm "out there" on this, but the logo is very similar. Hey, what if we aren't getting the G5 because they're all being used in the scooter! It could make for an interesting keynote, however. I picture Phil flying across the stage doing all kinds of fancy maneuvers. Suddenly, without warning, Steve starts hurling digital cameras at his head. Phil ducks and dodges, but still remains perfectly balanced. The audience cheers.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    I don't think anyone has really noticed, but we are living in a renaissance.

It's been going on new for a couple of decades and it will be remmembered as important as impressionist painting and discovering the new world.

The difference with this one is that anyone with a $3000 computer and $40/month internet connection can be a renaissance person. No way my Father could have brushed up on quantum theory at lunch one day, advanced manufacturing technology the next day, and go into the weekend with some world class recipies, all the while listening to music and opinion from every corner of the world.

Now is the good old days!!
  • Reply 8 of 20
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    hopefully, steve actually believes that he has a revolutionary product, or else this would be the ultimate "boy who cried wolf" scenario. but, then again, he did give the green light to "flower power," so who knows?

anyway, i am inclined to believe that he is NOT talking about the new imac, because he knows everyone has been expecting such a thing since this summer.

does anyone remember if steve (not phil "the shill" schiller, who belongs on info-mercials) called the ipod revolutionary? it would help as a point of reference to figure out how big this is...
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Am I remembering correctly, or was it the last time Steve Jobs used the word "revolutionary" (perhaps it was "groundbreaking") that he released an mp3 player?

I'm sorry, but a revolution comes from a new idea. Something no one has thought of before that changes the world. A flat-panel iMac is not such a change. Nor is a firewire digital camera or a networked PVR.

If it's a true revolution they intend to give us, I sincerely hope we don't have a word for it yet.

-- ShadyG
  • Reply 10 of 20
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    [quote]Originally posted by KD5MDK:

<strong>The all in one form factor had ended with the Color Classic (and TAM, I suppose) in the consumer market. After that the AIO models were education only.

All the Performas I knew of were box and monitor jobs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, there was a Performa model (575 or something like that) that was an all-in-one.

Looked pretty cool, actually.

[Edit] Okay...wow. Just found these at <a href="http://www.everymac.com:"; target="_blank">www.everymac.com:</a>

<a href="http://www.everymac.com/systems/by_casetype/allinone.html"; target="_blank">http://www.everymac.com/systems/by_casetype/allinone.html</a>;

Apparently there were quite a few AIO Performas, although they seemed to share one of 2 or 3 body designs.

Some of those are kinda cool!

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>

Apparently there were quite a few AIO Performas, although they seemed to share one of 2 or 3 body designs.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I had the AIO G3, I was in college at the time and it was education only. It came out a few months before the iMac. It had a 15 inch screen and 3 PCI slots! I loved that machine. It was heavy as hell though

I sold it and bought a G4.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    This is what I want it to be.

• Reply 13 of 20
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]Originally posted by userone:

<strong>When does something *stop* being revolutionary?</strong><hr></blockquote>

When Steve tells us?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAgent:

<strong>This is what I want it to be.

[/IMG]</strong><hr></blockquote>

However transmogrified into a Newton shape it'll be, it's going to be a Mac, running a MacOS. If it weren't, they would've said so, just like they did last time with the iPod, "Hint, it's not a Mac".
  • Reply 15 of 20
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by ShadyG:

<strong>Am I remembering correctly, or was it the last time Steve Jobs used the word "revolutionary" (perhaps it was "groundbreaking") that he released an mp3 player?</strong><hr></blockquote>

In the invitation to the iPod release, Apple said "groundbreaking" - the press hyped it into something revolutionary before they knew what it was.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    I mentioned the Performa because I had one, it was all in one and it sat next to my old beige g3, and I played warcraft II against my brother on it, first network gaming I ever did.

as for revolutionary, I believe that the iPod was not revolutionary, but it does have some really ahead of its time features(why aren't all HD based mp3 players firewire?) syncing with iTunes is a really cool feature, cuz then if you know your iTunes playlists it will be that much easier to navigate around in your iPod.

that gyro scooter is kind of revolutionary, but more in the sense that the gyro technology that it stablizes itself with can probably be used in other more practical applications.

I don't think that the next iMac can really be revolutionary, unless it converts over 10 million pc users to mac(thats quite a revolution if you ask me

and raises apples stock by 50 points, and pays for steves next big toy(how about a super luxury mega power boat)

on the television there is an ad about a motorized wheelchair dealie, and the way they set it up some people are talking about how they wish their parents could have made it, then the grandma or grandpa is all of a sudden there and says "surprise!"

:cool:
  • Reply 17 of 20
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    To me, for a product to be revolutionary, it has to have most of the following characteristics:

1) It changes purchasing habits by offering a product that replaces one or more of something a consumer already has, which in turn begins a complete change in the marketplace.

2) It offers the same old product in a very new way: new design, features, implementation, etc. This new product spawns product changes in other companies.

3) It fixes a need that a consumer has needed to fix, all with maximum efficiency and reasonable cost.

EXAMPLES of revolutionary items in the past 10 years:

-- From APPLE: iMac, G4 Cube, Firewire, Superdrive, Cinema Display, OS X, and yes iPod (though we haven't fully seen its effects yet)

-- From OTHERS: Hybrid cars, DSL & Cable internet, e-Commerce, DVD, TiVo & related, touchscreen technology, genetically altered food, and yes Ginger (I think we've seen just the tip of the iceberg there)
  • Reply 18 of 20
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>

No, there was a Performa model (575 or something like that) that was an all-in-one.

Looked pretty cool, actually.

[Edit] Okay...wow. Just found these at <a href="http://www.everymac.com:"; target="_blank">www.everymac.com:</a>

<a href="http://www.everymac.com/systems/by_casetype/allinone.html"; target="_blank">http://www.everymac.com/systems/by_casetype/allinone.html</a>;

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: pscates ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

the all-in-one performas were rebadged LCs. exact same computers
  • Reply 19 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by JasonPP:

<strong>I don't think anyone has really noticed, but we are living in a renaissance.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I thought we were living in a recession.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    And all this while I've been using my lungs like a sucker