grep -m

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
In Mac OS X, I see that -m is not a supported option of grep. It is supported in cygwin. Is this a cygwin specific feature or does Mac OS X just not support it? Is there anything else I can use in its stead?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Well what is it supposed to *do*?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Well what is it supposed to *do*?

Looking at my cygwin install:

-m NUM, --max-count=NUM

Stop reading a file after NUM matching lines. If the input is standard input from a regular file, and NUM matching lines are output, grep ensures that the standard input is positioned to just after the last matching line before exiting, regardless of the presence of trailing context lines. This enables a calling process to resume a search. When grep stops after NUM matching lines, it outputs any trailing context lines. When the -c or --count option is also used, grep does not output a count greater than NUM. When the -v or --invert-match option is also used, grep stops after outputting NUM non-matching lines.

Haven't used grep enough to comment on it.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Finding no such equivalent with the default grep, sorry. :/
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I found a solution to my problem.

I can't use

grep -m 1 <string> <file>

but I can use

grep <string> <file> | head -n 1
  • Reply 5 of 6
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Looking at my cygwin install:

-m NUM, --max-count=NUM

Stop reading a file after NUM matching lines. If the input is standard input from a regular file, and NUM matching lines are output, grep ensures that the standard input is positioned to just after the last matching line before exiting, regardless of the presence of trailing context lines. This enables a calling process to resume a search. When grep stops after NUM matching lines, it outputs any trailing context lines. When the -c or --count option is also used, grep does not output a count greater than NUM. When the -v or --invert-match option is also used, grep stops after outputting NUM non-matching lines.

Haven't used grep enough to comment on it.

I were half as knowledgable as you I'd be a member of Mensa.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rogue master

I found a solution to my problem.

I can't use

grep -m 1 <string> <file>

but I can use

grep <string> <file> | head -n 1

Yeah, that would work.

Fahlman: Nice of you to say That was just copied from the man pages for grep though. There are many people on these forums more knowledgeable than me. Like Kickaha.