airport won't auto select network

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I live in a college town, so every house near me seems to have wireless, and with my airport (802.11b, the original apple card) card in my quicksilver powermac g4, i pick up my own airport express network, but also 4 or 5 (up to 7, depending on weather) other networks.

I would like my computer to automatically join my airport's network, but each time I sleep my computer or shut down then turn on, it starts up without selecting a network, i have to click the airport menu and choose mine.

Is there a way I can make it auto-select my network so i don't have to choose it each time?

thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I have the same problem with my iMac G5 + Airport Extreme +Airport Express. I only have one wireless network in range.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Open System Preferences and go to the Network pane...

Go to your AirPort settings. Change it from Automatic to Specific Network and then enter the SSID of your network and the password. Voila. It should now only connect to your own network.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    i figured out that my SBC Yahoo Installer had added it's own network port somehow, and i had to connect via both it and airport. weird, i just deleted that port, and set airport like you said, works perfectly.

thanks.