When will the 15" PB change?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The 15" is now sort of the ugly duckling all of a sudden.

Any thoughts on if and when this one will get the makeover treatment.

I figure when the stock pretty much runs out.

A nice, subtle refinement of the Books IMO.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Probably when the iBooks get updated.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>Probably when the iBooks get updated.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thats a good possibility.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    Hopefully soon, as I would seriously consider selling my current 15" PowerBook for that -- IF it has the backlit keyboard and the other features of the 17" KongBook.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Actually, I hope they keep the TiBook case but add DDR, FireWire 800, AirPort Extreme, and Bluetooth.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    It would be unfortunate if Apple disbanded the "regular" size TiBook and it only came in "small" and "huge".

I like the term KongBook
  • Reply 6 of 26
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Actually, I figured they'd also add all the new "improvements" (better AirPort reception, non-scratching surface, side-accessible ports, etc.) to the 15" model as well.

Suddenly, knowing all we know about the 12" and 15" models and the improvements/enhancements given to them (both internal AND external), the 15" Titanium PowerBook suddenly does indeed seem like the odd man out.

Hopefully, it too will get a new aluminum case, new AirPort antennas, Bluetooth, illuminated keyboard(?), etc. so it doesn't seem quite so "out of the loop" and old-school.

• Reply 7 of 26
    Bastards!!

I just got my first Apple a few weeks ago: 15" PB 1 Ghz. So of course the come out with all these new upgrades yesterday. I'm not so keen on the gimungo screen but I like all the other features that comes on it. Also would have prefered the Nvidia video card. Oh well. I'll upgrade next year.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Jobs said that the new Airport antennas were in the screen section, "where they belong."

This strikes me as ironic since it was Jobs himself that decreed the TiBook's screen bezel be as thin as possible.

I guess he's seen the subpar performance of the TiBook's antennas and had a change of heart.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    [quote]Originally posted by Stoo:

<strong>

I like the term KongBook </strong><hr></blockquote>

I prefer "LapZilla"

Barto
  • Reply 10 of 26
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by discstickers:

<strong>Jobs said that the new Airport antennas were in the screen section, "where they belong."

This strikes me as ironic since it was Jobs himself that decreed the TiBook's screen bezel be as thin as possible.

I guess he's seen the subpar performance of the TiBook's antennas and had a change of heart. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually Jobs alluded to quite a few problems with the current 15" TiBook...including the fact that the new models are not painted.

I really think an updated 15" TiBook to 15" AlBook will fly off the shelves (obviously price will dictate sales). But many really don't need the added size of a 17" which in all intensive purposes serves as a desktop too. The 12" is too small for some needs like basic page layout and Keynote presentations. Plus it also lacks a PC card, necessary for some.

The 15" is the perfect size...not too small and large enough to include all the ports and expansion cards.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    I agree, the 15" needs to conform.

I can only assume that they are waiting to clear inventory, and will switch one day soon.

Dr. L
  • Reply 12 of 26
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by hledgard:

<strong>I agree, the 15" needs to conform.

I can only assume that they are waiting to clear inventory, and will switch one day soon.

Dr. L</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yea, I think so. They did't have a 17" or 12" but plenty of 15"s. I would think they'd go a few month tho as I'm sure they made quite a few. They were flying off the shevles, so maybe knowing MWSF was around the corner they did a smaller run?
  • Reply 13 of 26
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    did they upgrade the speed of the superdrive or combo drives on the new PB's

If 15 pb gets aluminized, do you think it will have the same features (maybe with slower processor speed) as the 17"? namely superdrive, BT, Airport extreme, illuminated keyboard? that would be perfect for me. even if they are add on, or custom build items.

Just for info--what type of things need that kind of download speed i thought the 11mbs would be good enough for streaming video what would need 54?
  • Reply 14 of 26
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    ...leaving the question if Apple didn't shoot in its own foot yesterday. Seeing the Tibook (or at least a powerbook with those golden-middle-way dimensions) will probably remain the most popular PowerBook. Many people however will postpone purchases untill Apple 'fixes' the current 15 inchers to conform to the newer (supposedly better) specs of the two newcomers.

Why then did Apple launch a new iteration of the 15s last month? Will they be able to purge their stock of 1 month old new powerbooks? What will be next? Stay tuned...
  • Reply 15 of 26
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by hledgard:

<strong>I agree, the 15" needs to conform.

Dr. L</strong><hr></blockquote>

I replayed the clip of Jobs' Powerbook announcement.

He said, and I'm paraphrasing, " The Titanium Powerbook isn't going anywhere. It's here to stay."

However, I suspect he actually meant "Powerbook" in general terms and not "Titanium" specifically.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, I think he means that particular size and price point. Why would you roll out two new models in wildly different and extreme sizes, but leave the popular, cool middle one the same, especially after admitting in front of thousands (if not millions) during yesterday's keynote that the AirPort antennas are now "where they belong", the paint doesn't chip, etc.

"Supposed" improvements, my butt. They ARE! Better AirPort reception, tougher case, easier-to-reach ports (plus a USB port on the right side), etc. are what I'd call DEFINITE improvements.

If they just slapped all these refinements on the existing 15" model, they'd have a VERY strong PowerBook line-up...and no one would feel like "ooh, I like the 15" PowerBook, but..."
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Well, I am simply going to wait for the redesigned 15.2". I need a Cardbus slot, and a generous size screen, but the 17" is too big for me, and I cannot afford it either. Either way, it will take me probably a year anyways to save up for it, so ya. But I could see how many other users would think the same.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    I don't care really. I changed my mind about getting a tower and am now going to get a Powerbook 15.2 inch 1 ghz w/ super drive. sure firewire 800 would be nice, sure 802.11g would be (really) nice , but I don't have any Bluetooth in my life don't need that...and frankly I think the new Powerbooks are uglier than the older ones.

The 15inch definatly could use a minor features advancement, but I'd wager Apple has to many in stock to warrant that change...so they downed the price to 2799 and that ain't not bad.

the 17 inch is a beast....but its still pretty damn cool.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    aaaa Posts: 57member
    i do believe the Titanium will go aluminium..

but it would need some new killer features to gather attention these days.

that's why i think it will be made of BLACK anodized aluminium

as to when they'll introduce it, i see 2 possibilities;

1.very soon to catch up with 2other models (12", 17")

2.next pb revision, in april/may
  • Reply 20 of 26
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I think it'll go Al too. It seems that an Al version may be cheaper to produce, more durable, better airport, and to be honest, I think that anodized Al finish just looks a bit better, though I prefer the contrast of a different color keyboard, I think white or black keyboards would look better on either of the new machines. An "middle Al" with the features of the "Big Al" would make for a seriously kick ass laptop, providing a CPU bump. So I don't think it'll get bumped untill the 17 gets a bump aswell.