iTunes for Linux?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anybody know if there is ever going to be iTunes, or a program like iTunes that is compatible with ipod on Linux? That would be really sweet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    IIRC, the ipod won't work under linux w/out modification. Having said that, you asked on the wrong board. Head to forums.gentoo.org, and post in their multimedia forum.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Folks have gotten the iPod to mount as a drive, but I don't think anyone has had any reliable success getting iTunes to run under WINE. Maybe someone's had better luck with other iPod-aware software, I don't know. Gentoo forums is a good suggestion.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Yea, thank you, but i was not asking how to do it. I was asking if apple was planning on releasing a linux version, like they made a windows version.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    They should not only release a version of iTunes for Linux but also offer a QuickTime Player.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    I really hope someone is working on a Linux version at Apple.

Longterm the number of people who go:

Microsoft -> Linux -> Apple

is greater than

Microsoft -> Apple

Anything that gives people one less reason to run a MS OS is good for Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Making QuickTime a truly cross-platform experience will help drive its use. iTunes increases QuickTime's presence on Windows already. MPEG4 will likely help this.

This solution also places QuickTime and iTunes on more platforms. Microsoft's offering locks you in to Windows.

Don't forget iTunes mobile. Is this also a QuickTime Trojan Horse?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Try GtkPod.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    You'd see QuickTime for Linux before iTunes for Linux.

And unless desktop Linux really takes off, I wouldn't expect even the former any time soon.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

And unless desktop Linux really takes off, I wouldn't expect even the former any time soon.

I know more than a handful of past Linux users who now have Powerbooks and are regular OS X users. If Apple was to ever release Quicktime and/or iTunes for Linux, they'd be stalling this forward progression.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I think if a Linux user could use iTunes it would sell more iPods. The geek allure of Unix on iPod will back this up. These users detest Windows Media already, so lets serve 'em up the best solution! Free iTunes will not be ignored, and while they'd rather compile than buy an app, a convenient, one-click $1 download will surely attract some users.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Quote:

I hope Apple has more foresight than that.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Infatuated_iPod

Does anybody know if there is ever going to be iTunes, or a program like iTunes that is compatible with ipod on Linux? That would be really sweet.

There's an app out there, that is Linux's answer to iTunes.. Its basically the same, just with a few more features. They might have iPod support.

I cant remember the name, but try googling on "iTunes linux"
  • Reply 13 of 17
    This might help ya: Clicky
  • Reply 14 of 17
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

There's an app out there, that is Linux's answer to iTunes.. Its basically the same, just with a few more features. They might have iPod support.

I cant remember the name, but try googling on "iTunes linux"

Are you perhaps thinking of Rhythmbox? It's not a great app, IMHO. iTunes inspired, but definitely not as refined or easy to use.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Funny, I know more people IRL using Linux on the desktop then Mac. \
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

Are you perhaps thinking of Rhythmbox? It's not a great app, IMHO. iTunes inspired, but definitely not as refined or easy to use.

Thats exactly the one!
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

This might help ya: Clicky

I actually saw Crossover, running Internet Explorer and Outlook on the soon to be released Novell Linux Desktop. It was pretty cool. The guy said it could run iTunes also.