Ipod in the car

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey everyone i just bought a radio tuner thing and i am not too happy about, what is the best way to listen to Ipod in a car? the radio is awful, and i cant imagine the casset player being any better, is there any way to connect my ipod directly to the car speakers? Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I use a cassete adapter and the doohickey from Kensington that plugs into the lighter and into the bottom connector of my iPod (3G). It sounds great and I'm very happy overall. I wish my stereo had a line-in jack but alas I am out of luck there. Maybe my next car will be more portable audio player friendly.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    All i have is a stock radio, i can always buy a cassete player but if there is a better way to listen then i want to go the way that is better. How can you get a line in on a stereo? Can you buy a deck with the line in already in it? or do you need to go in and ruffle some feathers?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Infatuated_iPod

All i have is a stock radio, i can always buy a cassete player but if there is a better way to listen then i want to go the way that is better. How can you get a line in on a stereo? Can you buy a deck with the line in already in it? or do you need to go in and ruffle some feathers?

Some aftermarket decks have a line in jack on the face. That would be the ideal way to go. I have heard mixed reviews on the FM transmitter solutions and that is what prompted me to get the cassette adapter solution.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    i don't really like radio tuners, they fade in and out depending on if they get moved, and i just am not a big fan. i have always used a cassette adapter, and i find that that gets the job done
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I just bought a cassette adaptor and it works ok, but its not as good as i hoped. It has a load background noise level - a low booming sound- that you hear if you turn down the volume. It is ok for Rock and Roll, but I'm worried about some quite classical passages.

Second is that you do have to turn the iPod to 11, otherwise the overall noise and sound quality sucks. I wonder how this is in Europe, were the iPods only go to 10??
  • Reply 6 of 10
    DO you know where i can purchase one of the aftermarket decks you mentioned?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Infatuated_iPod

DO you know where i can purchase one of the aftermarket decks you mentioned?

Crutchfield? Not for high-end enthusiasts, and not cheapest, but they will send you everything you need to install the deck in your car. Note that the actual line-in may require an optional cable (like mine).

I bought a Blaupunkt Heidelberg that even matched my VW's blue interior lighting. Another brand to check out is Alpine, they have a new iPod interface that lets you control the iPod through the head unit. I see offers for $30-50 off a deck if you buy the interface ($100) and the deck together.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Here is my write-up on how I isntalled my Ipod in my mustang

Here is a picture of my mount, I don't use the itrip anymore, it is an old picture.

edit: go to http://www.mp3yourcar.com/ it has a really slick thing for installing an ipod in your car, works similar to the thing I have in that it uses the CD Changer port on your car's factory stereo. It allows you to control the ipod with your radio's controls, but I don't really think that would be all that great, so I didn't get it, it might be worth it if you had radio controls on your steering wheel.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Dennison IceLink is the only wat to go. I installed one in my Chevy 3500 dually with the Bose 6CD stock radio. It works like a charm. No more being without my iPod or having it fade in and out.

Joe
  • Reply 10 of 10
    g2gg2g Posts: 39member
    www.drbott.com they have some cool ways to hook your ipod up....